Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Clipless MTB Pedals – degrees of float..
  • mrlebowski
    Free Member

Which have the least?

Ive got a knee problem & Im wondering if pedals with less float would help..

Trimix
    Free Member

Ones with more would allow your foot to sit more comfortably I would have thought.

More float = egg beaters, loads of it.
    Less = SPD’s just a few degrees – make sure you have the cleat angled to suit your feet.

Both feet will not be the same.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

The problem is the the knee joint is unstable ergo needs a more secure pedal.

I say this as on my road-bike my knee is much more comfortable as the pedals have less float.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    IHN

I have a dodgy knee (cartledge removed years ago) and I use Time pedals due to their floatyness as it seems to be quite particular about the angle it’s at – if it’s held at an angle it doesn’t like it hurts.

If the knee joint is ‘unstable’, have you tried physio to increase the muscle strength/stability around it?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I think I was given the wrong exercise which have made the knee more unstable. Im seeing a new physio on Friday for advice..

Macavity
    Free Member

“I say this as on my road-bike my knee is much more comfortable as the pedals have less float.” and are closer together ,stance width, Q factor?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Q factor

I hadnt thought of that..

gears_suck
    Free Member

Maybe you should find the position which best suites your knee and adjusting your cleat to that.
    Eggbeaters have varying degrees of release. 15 or 20deg depending on which way round you fit the cleats and hold with softer lateral tension than spd. Meaning less twisting strength required to unclip. This might put less strain on your knee, but you have less adjustment with eggbeater cleat position.
    Trial and error.

woolymonster
    Free Member

If it helps I know a few people with knee problems that are using Speedplay pedals, not sure if Speedplay have less or more float though but worth a look – They can’t say enough good things about them and how they’re better when you have a knee problem.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Clipless MTB Pedals – degrees of float..’ is closed to new replies.