Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Clintons pulling out of the high street?
  • thepurist

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50365605

Seems like the greetings card market is on it’s knees. Have they already blown it or can they come up with a way to hold on for long enough to avoid a messy finish to this long standing business?

frankconway

Proposal to close 20% of their shops and looking to negotiate rents does not constitute ‘pulling out of the high street’.
    Keeping 266 shops open and closing 66 does not suggest the greetings card market is on it’s knees.
    The shops they intend to closed are, no doubt, trading poorly with little prospect of that changing.
    Bad news for those who may be impacted by it but seems like a pragmatic, hard headed decision to me – hopefully for the long term greater good.
    Wider concerns are rents, business rates and online.
    At some point a government – or governments collectively – must get to grips with tax, trading status and other aspects of global/supra-national online retailers.

Drac

Bet that wasn’t on the cards.

footflaps

At some point a government – or governments collectively – must get to grips with tax, trading status and other aspects of global/supra-national online retailers.

To some extent, but high street shopping is no longer growing and there are too many shops chasing too few customers. So like Pubs, there are 1000s of shops which will have to close to balance supply and demand. Economies and markets change over time and the decline of the high street is just one of current trends. Reducing rent / rates might slow it a bit; but it won’t reverse the trend.

Personally it doesn’t bother me, I really like online shopping, buy pretty much everything online and am quite grateful I don’t have to go into town. I realise that shop workers losing their jobs won’t be so sanguine about it….

cheekyboy
    Free Member

What has Bill had to say ?

mattyfez

What has Bill had to say ?

Bill doesn’t advocate pulling out, as that stain on Monica’s dress caused him a bit of bother.

doomanic

The highstreet is screwed. I was looking at snow boots in Mountain Warehouse today and not only were they £5 cheaper online, there was 20% off voucher code available that wasn’t valid in store. When bricks and mortar can’t even compete with their own on line presence you know the end is nigh.

tjagain

Its a matter of political policy. Its not just internet shopping, its the growth of out of town retail parks and big supermarkets that the real high street killer and we have gone far to far down that road. for me it sucks big time. the choice of shops I can walk to has gone down dramatically in the last 25 years.

Another instance where we ave got it so wrong compared to the Netherlands

chakaping
    Free Member

Greeting cards are surely a really good proposition for continuing in bricks and mortar shops, who browses and them online?

Do young people not really send them though?

Drac

who browses and them online?

Me it’s actually easier and quicker than a shop as you can narrow down with keywords and can see them, I also use shops too Card Factory is far cheaper than online and Clinton’s.

footflaps

A timely read, another more worrying trend is the centralisation of wealth in cities…

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/nov/10/how-europes-cities-stole-continents-wealth

Quite hard to see a fix as just throwing money at areas which lack innovation / high skilled wealth creation won’t change the underlying issue…

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Its a matter of political policy

No. Governments have not mandated shopping centres. And it’s not their place to prevent them, or protect town and city centres. Shopping centres offer a preferable alternative to high streets where shops are crammed into limited space with very little ability to change the shop floor space due to the buildings not being built for the purpose for which they’re used. It’s a dynamic world, always has been. The only thing that has changed is the speed of the dynacism. The internet has spurned a whole new generation of entrepreneurs with new and innovative ideas and different ways to reach their markets.

Just a simple case of consumers habits changing over time…just like they always have done and some sectors are not able to or willing to change. City and town centres can be re-purposed for other purposes. Most town and city centres have been outgrown by the population and attracting millions of shoppers each weekend for which they cannot cope is not a sustainable model.

The sentimental memories of us older generation types being dragged round the town and city centres by our parents at the weekend into cramped and claustrophobic shops are irrelevant and not valued by younger generations who do everything differently to us including the way they shop.

I’m a Moonpig convert. You can customise your cards and get them sent directly. Not actually much of a price difference either…purely the convenience factor and customisation of the product that is the draw.

Drac

My local high street is gaining more small independent shops and cafes as the big guns are moving to the outskirts, it’s actually going back go how it use to be with very few chains.

bikebouy
    Free Member

its the growth of out of town retail parks and big supermarkets that the real high street killer

On the back of demand to park cars near shopping facilities. Y’no, so folks don’t get soaked when its raining, and can let kids run riot inside where they’re easily managed, somewhere to eat and drink in a warm atmosphere…

All demanded by Joe-da-public hence the proliferation of them. All the government did was relax some rules on where they could be built on the back of developers requests.. most are situated in old industrial zones or brown field sites..next to half decent infrastructure for vehicles to get-to-home from.

The High St has many problems, overburden of taxation, landlords and it rains in the UK.

scotroutes

We have a new retail park. I’d have to walk past it if I wanted to go to any of the smaller shops. It has increased the choice of what can be bought locally and given a much needed kick up the arse to Tesco. But yeah, much prefer shopping online. Choice, availability, convenience. Much better than I’d get even travelling to our nearest city. Price is a secondary consideration.

stumpyjon

Personally I wouldn’t be that sorry to see greetings cards disappearing, at bit pointless and not exactly in the spirit of environmental awareness. Then there’s all the single use tat Clinton’s sell, especially the helium balloons. I think their time is over.

kayak23

Dear Clintons

Love from kayak23

survivor

Good riddance..

I think the greeting card industry needs to go altogether… All those trees, all that fuel in transportation for what? For someone to look at a card then throw it in the bin a few days later. One of man’s less intelligent inventions as far as I’m concerned.

piemonster

My local high street is gaining more small independent shops and cafes as the big guns are moving to the outskirts, it’s actually going back go how it use to be with very few chains.

Future of the high street hopefully. Pedestrianised as well preferably so it’s just a nice place to be. Would this also not retain more wealth in the local area?

I very rarely go to town centres or retail parks, mainly as they all seem the same. Once you’ve been in one Next you’ve been in them all.

wait4me

Paper is one of the most recyclable things there is, so get off that environmental high horse. Hopefully most of the plastic crap that everyday life is packaged in will be switched to paper. Mind you there’s a word for people who send cards…Women (TM Mickey Flanagan).

Wait4me. A printer.

tjagain

Just look at the difference in the Netherlands. High streets / town centres are not full of charity shops and boarded up shops they are thriving

Of course it a matter of public policy – thats why its different in different countries.

Drac

Pedestrianised as well preferably so it’s just a nice place to be. Would this also not retain more wealth in the local area?

They’re trialing one just now some shops are claiming trade is down from last year, you know when the U.K. had one of the best summers for years. They’re claiming it because people can’t park nearby although the parking is exactly the same.

Yes it’ll help as people don’t need to venture to other towns for the big chains, we’ve got a Starbucks this week, M&S Food due soon and a local butcher is opening a shop selling local produce whilst keeping his other shop open on the high street.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Don’t think birthday and Christmas cards etc are recyclable. At least in Derbyshire they aren’t.

Drac

Derbyshire doesn’t recycle cardboard?

Some cards can’t with glitter and crap stuck to them but generally they can.

poolman
    Free Member

Here in Spain the shops that do well are ones where personal service is offered. Loads of places altering clothes, plumbers merchant i took the whole pipe setup in and the chap changed the pressure reducer bit free of charge. Ditto the garden machinery shop, loads of 5 min jobs where they charge say 5e, it all adds up.

The shops that fail are just offering what you can buy online for less.

I think the small independent will make a come back but on different terms, lower rent, lower business rates etc.

funkmasterp

I’ve not bought or sent a card in years. They’re in the same boat as wrapping paper to me, just pointless even if they can be recycled. Some odd tradition that just needs to disappear in my opinion.

Be interesting to know how many on here still send cards.

tjagain

I have given up on cards now

CraigW
    Free Member

The cards in these shops are boring.
    I’d rather have something personalised from Moonpig, featuring a suitably embarrassing photo etc. Or a handmade card, for someone I care about.

frankconway

Craig – not many handmade card shops about; do you craft your own or have a little man who does them for you.
    Moonpig? Thanks but…no.

frankconway

survivor ^^^ it’s highly unlikely greetings cards are made from virgin fibre; they probably aren’t 100% recycled either.
    You do understand that paper, card and board production is highly sustainable?
    You might benefit from reading up on pulp & paper production, recycling and sustainability.

zippykona

There’s always your local independent gift shop you can support. Smiths are absolute rip off merchants.

Right now there’s a card that we both sell . Their’s however costs a pound more.

revs1972
    Free Member

There’s always your local independent gift shop you can support. Smiths are absolute rip off merchants.

Right now there’s a card that we both sell . Their’s however costs a pound more.

But do you offer a library service ? 😂

cookeaa

Clinton? Pulling out?

null

Totally miss read this thread…

scotroutes

The cost of postage is a major issue too.

tomd
    Free Member

I still buy quite a few gift cards, say 8 a year. They’re really important for a lot of people. For example, an old friend of the family is 80 now and quite ill. She always sends me and my sister birthday cards, even though we’re now well into our 30s. We like it, she likes it. It’s our way of staying in touch. I’m sure it makes a big difference to her week receiving a hand written card and message. Also, kids birthday cards are still a thing so we buy quite a few of those for parties. £1.50 gets quite a lot of value as the kids can spend ages customising the card.

That said, all of these cards get bought in one of the supermarkets, or maybe an “artisan” one from a local touristy place. The supermarkets tend to keep a smaller selection of really very good cards and churn them to follow trends. Clintons is just a dump of stuff. Even Lidl do a small selection of nice cards.

As others have said above, I have absolutely zero nostalgia for getting dragged around the shops on a Saturday by my mum. Awful experience. It’s brilliant that I can dress my kids really well without them ever having to put up with bollocks like queuing for manky changing rooms and sitting in sweaty cafes hiding from the rain with a million other people. I don’t think we’ve found a way of putting online and bricks and mortar on a fairer tax basis yet, or thought about how to mitigate the job losses and change of use for old retail premises.

FuzzyWuzzy

Whilst I don’t disagree that government involvement has boosted the rise of out of town retail parks (relaxation of planning regs and likely some subsidies) It’s too simplistic to say:

thats why its different in different countries

Geography, culture, demographics etc. all play a big part in it to.

I can’t remember the last time I went in somewhere like Clintons, usually buy cards via Moonpig or just when in the local Tesco. I actually think cards are a waste of time but unfortunately some other family members don’t so I just go along with things

involver
    Free Member

Not surprised they’re struggling. Clinton’s is the last place I’d go to buy a card. Full of old, flowery, boring cards. The stores aren’t even very nice to be in. Much prefer a good independent shop.

footflaps

Of course it a matter of public policy – thats why its different in different countries.

So the only differences between countries are those that are public policy? You seem to be confusing the UK with 1950s USSR….

johndoh
    Free Member

Much prefer a good independent shop.

Nah – Card Factory for all but my wife and kids. How Clintons even exists now is beyond me when you can get 10 for £1 at Card Factory – we buy handfuls of the things every so often for birthdays, congratulations, get well soon etc just so we have emergency cards to hand.

kayla1
    Free Member

Good riddance..

I think the greeting card industry needs to go altogether… All those trees, all that fuel in transportation for what? For someone to look at a card then throw it in the bin a few days later. One of man’s less intelligent inventions as far as I’m concerned.

+ a bazillion. This forum needs a ‘like’ button.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Clintons pulling out of the high street?’ is closed to new replies.