Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • climbingtrackworld – advice on new shoes
  • Edukator
    Free Member

In Europe the Fontainebleau grading is the most widely used. The numerical system ranges from 1a to 8c+ (the equivalent of V16 or B16), but problems easier than 2b are rarely found. The adjectival system goes from F- (Facile Inf, easy inferior) to ED+ (Extrêmement Difficile Sup, Extremely Difficult Higher). The system was first devised to classify the sandstone climbing in the Fontainebleau area, but is now widely used also in other bouldering areas around the world.

The grades in this system are similar to the French route grades, but have different meaning. An 8a route is significantly easier than an 8a boulder problem. To reduce confusion, some people write the bouldering grades in upper-case letters (e.g. “8B+” vs. “8b+”).

So to avoid confusion I’ll write:

A Fontainebleau 6B is about the same difficulty as a 6b Stanage Plantation boulder.

Edukator
    Free Member

Useful Glupton, but it fails to mention the fact that the Fontainebleau boulders themselves are graded “bloc” and someone who climbs French 6a easily will often fail to get off the ground on a 5a (or should that be 5A) Fontainebleau boulder.

The Spanish make interesting use of French grades too especially in Catalonia. Don’t be surprised if you grind to a halt on something well within your grade.

martinhutch

Edukator – even on grit, you can’t generalise too much about the nature of a route just from the grading. Your example, Old Friends, is fair enough at E4 5c because it is bold low down with shit RPs etc, but there is a cam before the 5c crux. Just around from that is No More Excuses E4 6b, which has a handplaced peg after the 6b crux and is generally done as a highball boulder problem with mats, and is certainly not a safe as houses lead.

On longer routes, E4 6b can mean a safe as houses English 6b crux pitch accompanied by a terrifying poorly protected English 6a pitch.

ianv
    Free Member

I’m sorry, I don’t understand the question, unless it’s a rhetorical question, and even then I still don’t understand what you’re getting at.

OK, so if a boulder problem in the UK is given a Font grade then of course there is going to be a similarity. If this is what you meant then i dont know why you bothered as its obvious. However, if you are saying that a UK technical grade (for the hardest move) is likely to give a broadly similar level of difficulty to a problem with the same Font grade you are wrong. 8a moves are are rare or non existent yet there are loads of problems given higher Font grades, the Font 7c/8as that I have done probably never had moves harder than 7a.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Flying Buttress Direct on Stanage which used to be HVS, 5b, and is now given E1.

Can never see why, lots of protection which has got better over the years – Classic HVS 🙂 (from the done it and it wasn’t that hard camp)

even on grit, you can’t generalise too much about the nature of a route just from the grading.

This +E4 🙂
    Each route on it’s merits and it’s modern regrade.

Spin
    Free Member

Well a typical E4, 5c on grit has a few RPs or a loosely fitting rock to protect hard moves with a long fall to the ground if they pull out.

And to complicate matters I could tell you about a few E45c’s that are well protected.

Spin
    Free Member

However, if you are saying that a UK technical grade (for the hardest move) is likely to give a broadly similar level of difficulty to a problem with the same Font grade you are wrong

I’m convinced (and I’m not alone) that many font 6a’s in font are roughly british 6a regardless of what the comparison tables say. Obviously as you go up the grades it drifts away from parity.

Edukator
    Free Member

And to complicate matters I could tell you about a few E45c’s that are well protected.

Go on then, on grit of course so the length isn’t the factor. Old friends was given E4, 5c before Friends when there was a rock on a sling below what you call the crux move though for me it was a relief to get to dry rock with big holds. IMO a lot of routes could have been downgraded when Friends appeared.

peterfile
    Free Member

It’s turned into UKC on here! 🙂

Spin
    Free Member

Go on then, on grit of course so the length isn’t the factor

Wellington Crack

antigee

didn’t the late 80s / early 90’s Yorkshire Grit guide (the hardcover blue one) have 3 grades?
    E for overall, UK technical and a P rating for protection?

jamj1974

The OP want some information on shoes – note this is different to ‘discussions’ on climbing grades…

Cougar

He’s bought his shoes now. (And has probably left the thread crying into his chalk bag)

antigee

jamj1974 – Member Interpreter

ok will stop it now

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

shut up and enjoy the climbs

… yawn.

Edukator
    Free Member

16m of sustained climbing on grit, there had to be one somewhere, Spin. Ta.

I thought the P in the Yorkshire guide was for “prang”.

spawnofyorkshire

He’s bought his shoes now. (And has probably left the thread crying into his chalk bag)

I have not got a blinking clue what you lot have been on about, and I have a potty mouth.

I only wanted to buy some new shoes 😥

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

spawn +1

spawnofyorkshire

I’m very sorry for swearing 😳

I’m a grown man and should know better

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘climbingtrackworld – advice on new shoes’ is closed to new replies.