Climbing equipment info needed

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Climbing equipment info needed
  • theflatboy

Hello, anyone know what these are called in the UK and where to get hold of one in approx 50cm length x 25mm width or similar:

They seem to be called Eye to Eye Slings or Lifting Slings, but I’m struggling to track down what I need.

I need it to be a single strip of webbing with loops at either end, rather than a full loop and it must be quite strong – enough to regularly have approx 30kg regularly hung from it (I realise that’s not particularly strong compared to the max load of these types of thing, but it is important).

Any suggestions where to get hold of one much appreciated.

Premier Icon cheese@4p
    Subscriber

I’m pretty sure that is not climbing equipment, more like a hoisting sling. Look at lifting gear companies. You obviously don’t want to use it for climbing purposes if only to hold 30Kg.

Can’t help but I can confirm that they are difficult to buy in the UK. I bought 3 in different sizes from a climbing store last time I was in Canada, if you don’t mind paying a premium for shipping maybe find an international ebay seller that’ll ship to the UK.

whitestone

30Kg isn’t that heavy, most slings used in climbing are rated in the 1000Kg+ region.

You can get slings like that from climbing shops, they are called “Snake slings”

theflatboy

cheese – ta, meant to say that. I originally was looking at climbing type retailers without much luck, and you’re right about intended use.

muppet, interesting, that reflects what I’ve found so far!

whitestone, ta I’ll take a look.

nickjb

30kg really isn’t much. You could easily make some with a little bit of sewing or use a couple of buckles if you can’t use a sewing machine. eg

wwpaddler

They’re called snake slings. Can’t get them in climbing shops in the UK anymore as they’re not strong enough to meet the CE regs for climbing.

Palm Equipment sell a snake sling in the UK (available from kayaking shops) rated to 10kN but it’s 4m long. To meet the climbing CE regs they needed to be 24kN.

As you’re not using it for anything heavy can you not buy normal tape and use an overhand or tape knot to make a loop at each end?

Premier Icon benp1
    Subscriber

What will you actually be doing with it?

You could just buy rope or strap and tie loops in the end

rusty90

Why not just a standard lifting sling?
    http://www.webexsupply.co.uk/shop/1-ton-flat-webbing-sling-copy/
    0.5M 30mm 1000kg £1.51

Premier Icon blurty
    Subscriber

They’re called ‘snake’ or rabbit’ slings. Not available in the EU due to crap regulations (in my view!).

You can get them here (but may end up paying VAT on them as they come in

http://yatesgear.com/climbing/slings/index.htm#7

theflatboy

Cheers chaps, useful info on here.

They’re for a hoist which lifts a wheelchair in and out of a car, to connect from the karabiners on the hoist round a part of the frame and back up – whatever I use has to be strong enough (as mentioned probably only up to around 20kg on each side), resistant to abrasion and catching on bits of the frame, thin enough to easily be dropped between the frame and the wheels and looped back round and with permanent loops rather than knots which could loosen over time.

Rusty, that type of thing is perfect in terms of function, but not really thin and flexible enough.

I’ll have another think, but good info on here thanks.

Edit – total length from eye to eye needs to be around 50cm.

goldfish24

You’ll notice the climbing slings are rated far in excess of the weight of an average climber. That’s to cover dynamic conditions – where there’s an acceleration involved. I’d recommend you follow suit with your lifting equipment, even if using a pair rate each to lift the whole thing then apply a X10 safety factor to allow for snatching and grabbing, so 40kg x10 = 400kg. Looks like that rating should be easily achieved.

whitestone

You can make your own easily enough. Go to a climbing shop and ask to buy some tape to make a sling with. (Note that you will get “funny looks” from the spotty youths behind the counter who don’t understand that you can do this but it’s what we did back in the day when you couldn’t get pre-sewn slings). Get about double the length you actually require. Note that dyneema is awkward to knot correctly as it’s so slippy so you want nylon.

Now do a search for “tape knot”, make one of these at one end of the sling, make sure to leave a long “tail” so it doesn’t slip through under usage until it tightens up, then make a loop at the other end at the length you want. This will have a very long tail but you can adjust to get the length you want. Finally cut the tape to length (again leaving a tail) and seal the new cut end by using a lighter to melt the cut to stop it fraying.

The result isn’t as slim as a sewn version but it’s still usable but whether it is so for your application is only for you to decide.

Get a conventional climbing sling and tie a knot in either end to form a loop. Even with the knots, will easily be strong enough for your needs.

Does it have to be webbing or would a rope be any good to you? 45cm eye to eye

[/url]

theflatboy

whitestone, cheers I’ll take a look. martin I did do that and its working fine, it’s just a bit fiddly with the extra run of tape getting in the way when it’s all clipped together.

or it sounds like from what your describing that you could use a regular closed loop sling and attach it using a lark’s foot hitch at the wheelchair end leaving you with a loop.

The beauty of this approach is that the lark’s foot takes no time at all so can be removed when not needed.

Vader

+1 what martin is saying but put the sling through an old road inner tube. Keeps it all tidy and stops fraying

theflatboy

That might actually work, I’ll take a look thanks.

Premier Icon ampthill
    Subscriber

I can’t see why a normal loop climbing sling wouldn’t work?

If you want to “retain” the carininer at one end just use a rubber “string” that you can buy at a climbing shop

theflatboy

A regular loop sling does work perfectly, and I personally don’t find it too difficult to get into position, loop round and reattach. The problem is that the area it’s going under, round and back up is quite tight, so we were wondering if there’s a way to slim down and reduce the amount of fabric being fixed in place.

mark90

Use a 10mm dyneema loop sling instead of a 25mm snake sling, or even 8mm. Plenty strong enough.

http://www.rockrun.com/wild-country-dyneema-sling-10mm-x-60cm

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

I was going to suggest what Martin said.

Other than that, unless my GCSE physics is mistaken: if you’ve got 20Kg at each end, that’s 40Kg of static load overall so something that can hold 30Kg isn’t going to work (well, for very long).

Also, see what goldfish said about dynamic loads – if the load is moving (eg, “oops, I’ve dropped it”) the forces involved can get much higher, very quickly.

Not available in the EU due to crap regulations (in my view!).

Damn that EU, stopping us all from dying.

Premier Icon ampthill
    Subscriber

Damn that EU, stopping us all from dying.

I’m quite pro EU. But I don’t think that in this case they are correct. Snake slings are good for use on threads and in this case strong enough. They are less strong as an extender but there aren’t many anchors that you might want to extend that are stronger than a snake sling

But my views on slings didn’t make my vote for Brexit 🙂

Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber
    Premier Icon ampthill
    Subscriber

Threads?

Where you find a natural hole in the rock. You then thread the sling through the hole. As sling is now doubled up it as strong as a normal sling on a flake or other pointy thing

B.A.Nana

If you want to “retain” the carininer at one end just use a rubber “string” that you can buy at a climbing shop

or just make cove hitches and clip the krabs into them

B.A.Nana

Go to a climbing shop and ask to buy some tape to make a sling with.

I’ve always known it as abseil tape, for some reason

Premier Icon tuboflard
    Subscriber

take a look on the Petzl website, there may be something on there which fits the bill. If nothing else, buy a dyneema sling of the right length from a climbing shop and see if you can blag a couple of these, one for each end to hold the carabiners in place;

https://www.petzl.com/GB/en/Professional/Connectors/STRING#.WH5-j3eca1s

antigee

I’ve always known it as abseil tape, for some reason

in olden days was common to carry some on alpine and big trad multipitch routes to rethread chockstones, threads and fixed pitons to ab’ off

not sure where muppetwrangler dragged his tape through the wire pics from but for any youthful wall/sports climbers turning trad reading never do what is shown in those pics’ – think it was a very short lived practise from the mid 70’s until people understood how the wire will cut through the sling like a knife thru cheese (appreciate was being used to show something else but does need a public health warning)

^ Can’t disagree with any of that.

It was the clearest lark’s foot picture I could find without an extensive search.

theflatboy

Some very useful info on here, thanks chaps. I think I’ll look at making some custom ones with the tape and the tape knots – that should do the trick and with the weight on them they should stay tight.

antigee

tips for tape – the tape knot (overhand repeat or frost knot) uses a lot more tape than you’d think so do one to work out how much before cutting

use gas hob or a lighter to seal the ends after cutting

need to leave at least 2cm+ of tape sticking out of the knot – one way to stop the knot undoing is just to sew a few loops of cotton through the sticking out bit to attach it to the main tape – ordinary cotton and needle – goes thru surprisingly easy

on a cost basis or for try outs might be cheaper to pick up load securing straps from the likes of screwfix – as said above climbing tape will hold 1000kgs or so and is probably an over spec

edit for muppetwrangler – i realised the pic served the purpose intended but just felt didn’t want someone to say wow! I can save carrying extensions/krabs if i do that

theflatboy

Excellent, thanks.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Climbing equipment info needed’ is closed to new replies.