Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Climate Strike moan
  • anagallis_arvensis

Why do so many adults feel the need to ridicule or criticise kids who want a better future?

jam-bo

Because it threatens their status quo.

chewkw
    Free Member

Why do so many adults feel the need to ridicule or criticise kids who want a better future?

Because the kids are protesting in the wrong continent. They lived in the developed world where there are not much virgin forest and the standard of living is already high.

The actual problem is the depleting virgin forest in developing and 3rd world countries.

Therefore, they should be protesting in say Indonesia where they are actively and illegally burning the virgin forest to start planting palm oil etc; and other 3rd world countries with “vast”/depleting virgin forest be cleared for planting whatever cash crops.

Reducing pollution etc by imposing more rules on the people or to protect the virgin forest … which one is more effective?

anagallis_arvensis

Because the kids are protesting in the wrong continent.

What do you want them to do fly to Indonesia FFS!
    You are talking twaddle anyway!

Guess where?

wwaswas

*sees Chewkw has posted their ‘wisdom’*

*leaves the thread*

dazh

Just been to the Manchester one. Back in February there were no more than a few hundred kids and adults. Today there were thousands. Ignore the cynics, this is the fastest growing, most powerful, energetic and inspiring political movement I’ve ever seen, and I’ve been involved in a fair few in tthe past. The only thing anyone should feel when they see these strikes and marches is hope.

chewkw
    Free Member

What do you want them to do fly to Indonesia FFS!
    You are talking twaddle anyway!

Because most of the forest are in 3rd world nations. In the developed nations you have tighter rules to protect the environment but what is the point of protesting here when the vast virgin forest, sometimes larger than the size of certain developed countries, are destroyed in developing and 3rd world?

You may reduce your pollution in the developed countries but the developing and 3rd world are burning the forest at a rate that non of your pollution rules can handle.

Isn’t it rationale to tell or to educate the people there not to burn down the forest or kill all the wild animals?

Go tell the greedy “mafia” (some of them are local mafia or “strongmen”) there not to slash-and-burn …

Over in Borneo we despair but what can we do unless we want to be buried six feet under.

anagallis_arvensis

Because the carbon cycle is a cycle it can be influenced at various points.

And those kids in the picture, guess where they are?

anagallis_arvensis

Dazh, thats my thoughts too. I was pretty much moved to tears by young kids being organised and passionate, they might not have all the the answers yet but they are kids….

chewkw
    Free Member

And those kids in the picture, guess where they are?

Definitely not Indonesia or Borneo.

We (not me but local “strongmen”) destroy our virgin forest at a rate others will cry if they can see what have happened to the land. We in Borneo have lived in despair about the situation for sometime now.

shermer75
    Free Member

Developed countries produce waaaaaaaaay more CO2 then developing countries

loddrik
    Free Member

I’m firmly in the ‘couldn’t give a toss about climate change’ camp. I’ll be long gone before we’re all submerged. Plus warmer weather and more rain sounds great.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Thought this was an interesting read.

Houns

Utter end of a bell

Edukator
    Free Member

Plus warmer weather and more rain sounds great.

Until the flood, tornado, drought or some other extreme weather event gets you. Britain is not imune. And even if it is imume to extreme weather the geopolitical turmoil shortly to be unleashed will get you one way or another.

We’re all in this together and it’s up to us all to do what we can.

koldun
    Free Member

Seems like @Jambo nailed it in the first comment really and @Chewkw kindly confirmed it 😉

Edukator
    Free Member

I’ve just checked my first climate change post after the hack 9 years ago:

Edukator

Among those of you that do think CO2 emissions are responible for changes in cliamte that will adversly affect humanity how many have you have done anything significant such as:

1.Choosing to live near your work and the services you use.
    2.Using public transport, a bike or your feet to get to work.
    3.Investing in insulating your house and heating system to the point your heating consumption is below 3000 kWh/year.
    4.Having a solar hot water heater or heat pump.
    5.Producing enough electricity to have a negative electricity bill.
    6.Changing your eating habits in favour of local produce.
    7.Using the train for long distance continental travel.
    8.Reducing your general level of consumption of goods and services.
    9.Deciding to limit your family size if you still have the choice.
    10. Composting your bio waste.
    11. collecting rain water for toilet flushing and garden use

Score yourselves out of the number of points that apply to you giving half marks if for example you do more long distance miles by train than car but still own a car. I’m at 8.5/11

The first step is understanding the issues, the second actually doing something. A flash new car often takes priority over a heat pump or solar panels.
    Posted 9 years ago

from this theread:

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/global-warming-see-for-yourself/page/4/

The number of deniers on the forum is in decline but the number of people prepared to do anything isn’t much better. I’m now up to 9.5/11

boxelder

And there is the problem. It’s global. Blaming one country/continent over another is a waste of energy/effort/time. It needs near global agreement and if the world sees kids protesting, wherever they are, then great. I just hope the go home and reduce their own impact and nag their parents

Edukator – 7.5/11 here, but too late for 9 and living in the sticks makes public transport difficult.

Daffy

I can only manage 7.5 from the above list, but items 4, 5 and 11 require investment capital that I just don’t have at the moment. Also, solar is difficult where we are, our house is exposed to quite severe winds which routinely rip tiles from the batons. I’m waiting for PV tiles to be more readily available. So far Tesla seems to be one of the major providers and they keep catching on fire…

Had to take my daughter swimming today. 25 mile round trip on the bike with 40kg hanging off the back and almost 2000ft of climbing. Still didn’t even consider taking the car.

Daffy

Were you in Bath today AA?

chewkw
    Free Member

Developed countries produce waaaaaaaaay more CO2 then developing countries

But it does not help if the virgin forest is also being depleted …

johndoh
    Free Member

But it does not help if the virgin forest is also being depleted …

Of course it would help if developed counties produce less CO2. Just try stopping and thinking for a minute and you might realise that you are profoundly incorrect.

anagallis_arvensis

How about these:

anagallis_arvensis

Were you in Bath today AA?

No I was at school, but I have been to strikes on other days, not in Bath though

belfastflyer
    Free Member

Very happy for them to protest (one of the few good things to come out of the internet) but considering a lot of their parents will vote Tory, not sure what difference it’ll make.

anagallis_arvensis

not sure what difference it’ll make.

Its made a massive difference getting it into the news already. Get more people on board and they will soon be a big bunch of aware and active adults.

ayjaydoubleyou

I’ll play

1.Choosing to live near your work and the services you use. (1)
    2.Using public transport, a bike or your feet to get to work. (0.5 – or less, I do it on some of the days where it is possible, weather and mood dependent)
    3.Investing in insulating your house and heating system to the point your heating consumption is below 3000 kWh/year. (consumption – no idea, insulated mid terrace, heating not touched for probably 9 months of the year 0.5?)
    4.Having a solar hot water heater or heat pump. (no 0)
    5.Producing enough electricity to have a negative electricity bill. (0 – very limited south facing roof for solar panels, no other means of generating power)
    6.Changing your eating habits in favour of local produce. (1? but to what extent? I look for the British tractor stamp but I’m not at the local farmers market)
    7.Using the train for long distance continental travel. (0.5 I have done this year for journeys I would previously have driven and flown, but not exclusively)
    8.Reducing your general level of consumption of goods and services. (1 how do you measure – yes I keep two mountain bikes running, and I drive; bu I hate food waste, hate unnecessary clothes, car gets 60mpg)
    9.Deciding to limit your family size if you still have the choice. (1)
    10. Composting your bio waste. (no but there is little of it. )
    11. collecting rain water for toilet flushing and garden use (mid terrace – no downpipes. Not watered the garden with anything other than dishwater this or last year. plus I wee in the shower :-))

6 maybe… depending how generous the halves are

pdw
    Free Member

Therefore, they should be protesting in say Indonesia where they are actively and illegally burning the virgin forest to start planting palm oil

Who do you think is buying the palm oil?

athgray
    Free Member

We (not me but local “strongmen”) destroy our virgin forest at a rate others will cry if they can see what have happened to the land. We in Borneo have lived in despair about the situation for sometime now.

I was reading that over 50% of global palm oil export is from Indonesia. Perhaps people should be protesting in developed countries to try to reduce demand. Indonesia and also Malaysia are only supplying a demand. The fault is ours.

bigjim

yay somebody gets part of the bigger picture

Northwind

The uni I work for did a half hour shutdown today. Not to be a climate protest- we already do more than most for actually fixing the environment- but just to show support for and to help empower our students. It was pretty good, except for all the MOANY FACED ****S,most of whom hadn’t even bothered to read why it was happening.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Ban children, after 80 or so years all the greenhouse emitters will have disappeared and then the Earth can return to normal.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Not me as I boycott it (as long as I can read the label)
    Aldi are a big culprit, loads of their stuff has palm oil in including most chewy bars & their ‘pot noodle’ type things.

There was a daft woman on Jeremy Vine today saying she wouldn’t give her staff time off to attend a Global Climate Strike & I just thought…..

Only when the last tree has been cut down, the last fish caught & the last river poisoned, will we realise that we cannot eat money.

Ban children,

Yep.
    People are the only things on the planet that kill it (AFAIK) yet we keep churning them out.

kelvin

Lidl are awful for it as well… 90% of what can be found in the snack/biscuit aisle is stuffed with Palm oil. When we decided to drop it, it was eye opening. They do peanut only peanut butter though (as do Aldi), which everyone should swap to. Needs a stir, but tastes even better than the palm oil stuffed brand nuttybutter.

robowns
    Free Member

I get why people are outraged by the whole palm oil thing, but I think people need to think more broadly. The problem isn’t palm oil, it’s consumption. If we boycott palm oil it will just be replaced by something else that likely has a similar impact on the environment.

chrismac

Because the most environmentally conscious thing you can do as an adult is not have kids. The carbon footprint of a child through their whole life is enormous

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

If we boycott palm oil it will just be replaced by something else that likely has a similar impact on the environment.

Yep.

Because the most environmentally conscious thing you can do as an adult is not have kids. The carbon footprint of a child through their whole life is enormous

Even more ‘Yep’

I’ve got 2 kids. If the world was in the state It’s in now when they were conceived……

MoreCashThanDash

Just checked and my Aldi peanut butter uses sustainable palm oil. Am I forgiven?

gwaelod
    Free Member

Personal actions are only a (small) part of this.

Lobbying to get politicians to change the rules of the game is what this is about.

Move to somewhere nearer wher you work – great – how about introducing planning legislation to ensure plenty of family homes in areas near to employment centres and that those employment centres can be accessed by transport systems that dont piss fossil carbon into the atmosphere.

Buy a low emissions car for driving the kids to ballet – bollocks – how about reconfiguring cities so kids can safely cycle themselves to Ballet/football

There’s only so much that can be achieved by individual actions – forcing politicians to stop subsidising fossil fuel industry is the long game. Those free on street vehicle storage spaces outside your house are fossil fuel subsidies if they could be easily repurposed as cycletracks to get kids to school/football, and penshioners to the surgery and to coffee mornings vis bike and trike.

Its a standard fossil fuel lobbyist tactic now to point to and highlight individual action/choice as the way to “tackle” climate change – cos it means they will be able to make more cash in the interim while people waffle on about straws and other ineffective stuff and delay introducing carbon tax on Jet Fuel and maintain subsidising offshore oil production which will really make a difference. My Government has just handed a wad of cash to Aston Martin and to Ineos to build gas guzzling luxury SUV in Wales – shortly after “declaring a climate emergency” – its not about eating mung beans instead of beef once a week – its about getting the message to politicians that that sort of shit stops

chewkw
    Free Member

The problem isn’t palm oil, it’s consumption.

👆 This. It all started when the developed countries started consuming in huge quantity of palm oil due to its versatility. As consumption goes up the greedy bar-stewards (mostly political cronies) noticed the emergent market, and they started to plan them in huge quantity by buying off or grabbing lands from the innocence/naive natives. The plantations then changed hands selling to large conglomerates from all over the world. It is a bit late now to stop them other than trying to slow down the damages. Also the developed / western consumption is now replaced by new economy superpower in the East. Their demand for palm oil is many times larger put it this way …

Nobody is stopping the developed world from consumption but just do it moderately and we shall all able to enjoy the nature a bit more.

Do you know that when they opened up the land all the wild animals are killed? i.e. shot on sight especially native wild boar because they say wild boar destroy their palm oil plantation crops. (in nature wild boar is like the soil plougher and they help the land) When they kill the wild boar they kill the entire family herd of hundreds at a time. Since most of the plantation workers are of certain religious denomination (majority) they just dumped the killed boars or buried them.

We have been using cold press red palm oil since I was a kid but they are rather expensive nowadays due to export market. The red palm oil is being sold like “gold dust” over here but as a kid they are just ordinary household cooking oil for us. In those days nobody knows much about palm oil …

How about these:

The population of Indonesia is 271,265,286 and rising so are those the only people protesting? It’s like a drop of water in ocean. Now they are moving their capital to Southern Borneo after destroy the water bed in their current capital.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Climate Strike moan’ is closed to new replies.