Climate protesters and the tube trains

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)
  • Climate protesters and the tube trains
  • sharkbait

I feel that everyone has a right to protest, but some of their tactics are very questionable – I doubt that holding up commuters, that just want to get home, is really going to endear themselves to the public.
    I wonder if this guy got a good kicking when he was pulled off the train? It certainly doesn’t look like they were helping him up and dusting him off!!
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-50079716

As for the ones that superglued their hands to the train – very risky…. not having skin would be painful.

Premier Icon dissonance
    Subscriber

I am struggling with the usefulness of this as a protest.
    Cars yup.
    City Airport double yup.
    Tube though seems a bit counterproductive.

FunkyDunc

As for the ones that superglued their hands to the train

Is superglue even Eco friendly ?

Haze

(other kinds of glue are available)

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

Agreed, utterly daft thing to do. Could have just glued themselves to a zebra crossing or something and actually made a point by forcing people onto the tube or to cycle.

Is superglue even Eco friendly ?

Not really by the time you’ve soaked it off with a litre of acetone. And the resprayed the train door.

Haze

Kind of my first thoughts, targetting the tube where you’d think they’d prefer people to head rather than into cars.

Unless I’m missing something?

chewkw

I wonder if this guy got a good kicking when he was pulled off the train?

I think they were just helping him off then the public each showed him their shoes in succession 😆

It certainly doesn’t look like they were helping him up and dusting him off!!

They were dusting him off with their shoes. 😆

As for the ones that superglued their hands to the train – very risky…. not having skin would be painful.

Ouch! That will hurt if the public pull them off.

Premier Icon leffeboy
    Subscriber

Agreed, utterly daft thing to do

Yep, the majority of XR appear to agree with you as well.  The downside of being comprised of small groups is that sometimes they will do things that don’t make sense to others.  This was probably very counterproductive for them 🙁

Yeah, I didn’t think this was a strong look either.

Have to say, I find the ease at which a crowd will lynch someone disrupting their day (have only watched the same video as everyone else – didn’t look like they were just saying “look chap, we need to get to work…on your way now…”) quite worrying. Some responses on various twitter postings of the video were pretty alarming.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Seems very odd to target the public transport but they do seem to have some ‘splinter groups’ which do their own thing.

Not sure it warrants a kicking that’s like beating up a cyclist because you couldn’t overtake them on the road.

avdave2

Think of the carbon saving of just throwing one idiot under a tube train.

I expect quite a few of the protestors themselves are thinking that when they see someone in their name trying to disrupt public transport. You almost have to wonder if it’s actually some climate change denying nutjob trying to sabotage the whole thing.

Whoever chose Canning Town as their target location clearly hadn’t thought it through.

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

Whoever chose Canning Town as their target location clearly hadn’t thought it through.

The Extinction Rebellion variant of Mornington Crescent.

Agreed, they must be Barking.

darthpunk

Surely the point is to get people on public transport? I agree wit most of their points but this just seems quite badly thought out

Agreed, they must be Barking. Certainly made himself un Poplar.

Have to say, I find the ease at which a crowd will lynch someone disrupting their day (have only watched the same video as everyone else – didn’t look like they were just saying “look chap, we need to get to work…on your way now…”) quite worrying. Some responses on various twitter postings of the video were pretty alarming.

Surely you understand that there are potential repercussions to every decision people take?

The protests by XR in London (and elsewhere) have been going on for quite a while now and, I’d imagine, are affecting those who can’t afford to take time off/use alternative modes of transport/etc quite a bit. What we’re likely seeing is the repercussions of decisions made by members of XR.

As an aside, the first guy who was pulled off the top of the Tube quite clearly kicked someone in the head. So we see someone make a decision (to kick someone else in the head) and the repercussions were a reply in kind.

Whether the commuters should be dragging the XR protesters off the Tube is another comment I’ve seen banded around and, attached to that if without a hint of irony, the complaint that the Police should be protecting the protesters from such actions. As the XR protesters are breaking the law isn’t is right that (morally speaking if not legally) that members of the public step in to prevent such criminality?

Ultimately I find it immensely ironic that, after all the accusations of the Police being heavy handed with regards to the XR protests we now have some XR protesters decrying the lack of protection they’re being given from those most affected by their actions.

Premier Icon Dickyboy
    Subscriber

stick to protesting against those who create the problem

Aslef spokesperson the ball there

trumpton

Very dangerous climbing on top of a tube train. He’d be fried if he fell onto the tracks on the other side. Stupid protest this time.

The irony of “climate” protestors blocking access to electric public mass transport broke my irony meter.

Which reminds me; I wonder what Jesus and Mo’ think of this:
    https://www.jesusandmo.net/wp-content/uploads/flood.png

Premier Icon oldnpastit
    Subscriber

Are we really talking about extinction? I don’t think so.

Subscriber

Are we really talking about extinction? I don’t think so.

Doesnt make much difference whether its 100% or 0.0000000001% if youre the dead one.

Ro5ey

some ‘splinter groups’ which do their own thing.

This

Are they not just rebels without a clue using XR for their own stupidity.

“Using XR”
    You can’t really have a genuinely distributed movement with no leaders and then claim people don’t represent you.

trumpton

good to hear it is not XR as I think they have been doing a good job so far.

fossy

The plonkers blocked the Metrolink in Manchester over the summer – why. They should be encouraging public transport.

Proper own goal today.

Supporting actions which disgust the majority of their supporters, hurt the causes for which they were set up, and will never be forgotten by their enemies.

Is Seumas Milne in XR?

Good job it wasn’t George Monbiot on top of that train or there might have been a genuine lynching.

Subscriber

Good job it wasn’t George Monbiot on top of that train or there might have been a genuine lynching.

He would just have lobbied for a moratorium on the lynching.

Tube though seems a bit counterproductive.

I can see their logic, they see it like suffragetts throwing themselves under horses on race day. Horses can’t give them the vote, the people betting on horses by and large can’t give them the vote, the king who’s horse it was can’t give them the vote.

But it get’s your cause newspaper column inches which makes it harder to ignore. Still better ways to do that though. Print a few thousand thank-you notes (on recycle paper obviously) and hand them out to commuters at train stations, cyclists, vegan bakery customers, you trap more flies with honey than shit etc.

Holyzeus

I was born in Canning Town and have spent most of my life either close by or there.
    They really should of picked somewhere else.

Have to say, I find the ease at which a crowd will lynch someone disrupting their day quite worrying.

People defying the law to take direct action to correct a situation they think is wrong. Totally, totally different to XR…

Subscriber

As the XR protesters are breaking the law isn’t is right that (morally speaking if not legally) that members of the public step in to prevent such criminality?

There’s a few shades of gray (corporal punishment pun intended) between upholding the law and vigilante public beatings.

hooli

I saw a video on FB earlier today of one of the protesters being manhandled off the train and then getting a few good kicks and he made his way through the crowd. I say fair enough and I’d do the same.

Genuine question that has always puzzled me with all protesters but how do these people get money? Do they work a night shift and protest during the day, students, funded by somebody?

Geography teachers on half term?

nicko74

Apparently police arrested 8 protestors who had stuck themselves together outside the Supreme Court. Tbh it seems counterproductive – surely better to just chase them around and see how much they enjoy being stuck together in daily life…

Premier Icon The Pinkster
    Subscriber

Print a few thousand thank-you notes (on recycle paper obviously) and hand them out to commuters at train stations, cyclists, vegan bakery customers, you trap more flies with honey than shit etc.

That’s an excellent idea

TurnerGuy

Apparently police arrested 8 protestors who had stuck themselves together outside the Supreme Court. Tbh it seems counterproductive – surely better to just chase them around and see how much they enjoy being stuck together in daily life…

leave them in a cell glued together and wait until one of them has to go to the loo…

See how they manage that 🙂

Premier Icon timbog160
    Subscriber

I agree their tactics are questionable and against the wrong target, but the sight of people being assaulted by a mob is, to my mind at least, very disturbing. Welcome to Britain 2019…

andy8442

A tad misguided yes, but we are talking about them aren’t we. There is no such thing as bad publicity!

Subscriber

A tad misguided yes, but we are talking about them aren’t we. There is no such thing as bad publicity!

True, its bad publicity for them as a group, but as a ’cause’ I doubt anyone is going to go out and buy a Mustang because they disagree with their methods.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 80 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.