• This topic has 20 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • clickclcikclickclick
  • meehaja
    Free Member

Whats wrong with my bike? It makes a clciky sound. Its really annoying and it sounds like something is breaking/ about to fail. I checked and re lubed the BB, thats fine now. Sound became worse when not pedalling, so i stripped and lubed the freewheel. no difference. Cleaned, lubed and replaced drivetrain/chain. No better. Wheel bearings seem fine, run free and silent when spun. Just seems to be when riding. Wheels have a slight buckle, not hitting brakes but could this put unnatural pressure on cartridge bearings when riding? I’m thinking not. Next up i’m examining the frame for breaks maybe? Its a commuter (cx bike with gueards, pannier rack and TT bars for that ultimate frnakenbike look), doing 100+ miles per week if that helps anything. I’m also a bit fat.

allthepies
    Free Member

Does the clicking frequency increase as your speed increases or is it fairly constant ?

Freester

Seatpost? Headset?

VanMan
    Free Member

Loose pannier or mudgaurd bolt?

shermer75
    Free Member

Playing card in spokes?

scaredypants

paparazzi ?

stoddys
    Free Member

Knees

epicyclo

If it’s disk brake, check your pads.

The little retainer spring can sometimes get caught on debris and bent out if the pads are worn enough for it to be close to the surface.

It will make an irritating noise like you have described and be very difficult to trace because it doesn’t appear to emanate from the disk.

I thought I had a spoke coming adrift…

mau00149
    Free Member

hope hub?

Edric64
    Free Member

If nothing is rubbing ie brakes or wheel against something I reckon freehub is worn .Have you different wheels you can put in even if you freewheel down the road to check ?

neninja
    Free Member

Rear mech cable catching spokes?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Have you fitted one of these?

sobriety
    Free Member

Chain run correctly through rear mech?

tinribz
    Free Member

Shoe lace? We’ve all been there. Or on one of mine the crank splines were kernackered.

shermer75
    Free Member

It’s not a bike it’s a keyboard and you’re not outside, you’re on the internet

honourablegeorge

epicyclo – Member
    If it’s disk brake, check your pads.

The little retainer spring can sometimes get caught on debris and bent out if the pads are worn enough for it to be close to the surface.

It will make an irritating noise like you have described and be very difficult to trace because it doesn’t appear to emanate from the disk.

I thought I had a spoke coming adrift…

I’ve had that.

I’ve also had the end of a cable tie that was holding on a chainstay protector rubbing my shoe as I pedalled. Drove me mad, because when I got off the bike to check what it was, it wasn’t happening. Get back on, it was back.

nikk
    Free Member

Block of metal inside of wheel that is used during manufacturing to hold it together whilst joining the ends worked loose?

meehaja
    Free Member

hmm, going to try changing the wheels, I’m pretty sure its bearings as sometimes its not there (like a sticky bearing freeing up a little). Failing that,I think clicking is justification for a new bike!

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Shirt zip touching camelback chest strap- don’t laugh, it can happen-

stevious

Just had similar rebuilding my bike after a trans-hemisphere trip. Turns out the cable end at the rear mech had bent inwards and was clicking against the spokes.

Easiest bike fix ever.

D0NK

Shirt zip touching camelback chest strap- don’t laugh, it can happen-

🙂 one ride I thought my knees were about to explode there was a tick noise coming from each as I pedalled. Tracked it down to the inside edge of my baggie shorts hem catching on the leg grippers of my cycle shorts 😳

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘clickclcikclickclick’ is closed to new replies.