Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cleats further back – what's the advantage (off road)
  • rocketman
    Free Member

I got some M200s last week and they have elongated cleat slots. With the plate reversed the cleats could be a long way back – almost mid-foot.

What’s the advantage of having the cleats in this position

Ta

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Some people say loads, try it see what you think… Prefer mine forward, also may depend what, how and why you ride

Yak

I have them a little bit further back than my road shoes. Not mid-foot though. Helps drop heels for descents as your heel is closer to the pivot.

adsh
    Free Member

Calf muscles are not designed for prolonged power. Cleats further back mean less input from the calves – less short term power better endurance.

Seem to remember you need to be careful how far back you go to avoid position difficulties.

BigJohn

I have mine all the way back on MTB and all the way forward on road.
    My ankles get achey absorbing all the bumps off road.
    I also think of using a spade. Which part of your foot do you use to stamp on it?

sandwicheater

I’ve never played with the cleat position, must give it a whirl and see what difference i feel. Have always just plopped them in the middle of the rail.

robcolliver
    Free Member

I have dremmel’d those slots even further back on my race SIDI’s to stop achilies problems (did a race in 2011 when I could actually hear my achilies grinding after about day 6).

Moving the cleats further back will takes stress away from there and allows you to ride further.

A simple case of less leverage on the joint should make it last longer.

I appreciate that some folk need to get heels down, produce loads of power for short bursts etc, but if it keeps you in the race!

Duct tape helps too.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I used to get hot spots on my feet. Debilitating after 3-4 hours. After many years failing to find a cure I picked up on the mid-foot cleat evangelists and gave it a go.

Problem solved.

darrenspink
    Free Member

[video]http://vimeo.com/30128286[/video]

jonathan
    Free Member

I shifted my cleats back on my MTB shoes a few years ago and noticed a good difference in feel. I was playing about with ski boot/ski fit and balance a lot at the same time and it all made a lot of sense together – aiming for better feel throughout the foot. Definitely more control and also less fatiguing downhill – also noticed a big difference landing drops and jumps.

rocketman
    Free Member

Ok thanks folks

I always put the plate as far forward as it will go then put the cleats on the 2nd hole back but will try it with the plate further back

asbrooks

I moved my cleats so my fleet are more central over the pedals some time ago. It took a few rides to used to. Not riding in that position, more like getting out in an emergency. By moving them back you are reducing the release angle. Initially in my case the result was a twisted knee and a bruised elbow 😳 .
    I have now also moved the cleat sideways so my feet are away from the crank arms and now it’s not a problem.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cleats further back – what's the advantage (off road)’ is closed to new replies.