Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cleat placement help please..
  • scud
    Free Member

I have recently swapped from a pair of Specialized cycling shoes to Shimano, I tried to replicate the positon of the cleats over from one to the other as I found the Specialized so comfortable.

Since then i have found that my feet ache after a while and i get “hot spots” on my feet over the pedal position.

Any advice as to where the cleat should sit exactly in relation to the foot?

Stoner
    Free Member

Mrs S and I treated ourselves for xmas to a trip to Andy @ Bike Science in Bristol
    http://www.bike-science.com/

can highly recommend it.

Anyway, Id previously just thrown cleats on to my shoes, but during the session Andy moved them back quite a way so that they were under the widest point of my foot I think. And then checked that my knee just went past the pedal axle with everything else in the right place. Think that’s what he did anyway 🙂 fortunately they print out a geometry diagram for you if you’re a bit dim like wot I am…

scud
    Free Member

Thanks Stoner, interesting website that,i’ll have a look at similar places near to where i live (Aldershot area)

lightman
    Free Member

It could be the shoes. I tried Shimano and found that they were too narrow, so can’t use them.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I put mine as far back as possible. I’m not going to benefit, in terms of power, from them being an inch further forward but I feel more balanced that with them as far back as they will go.

rootes1

specialized shoes also have tilt built in the soles (only a little bit though)..

perhaps best to get some more specialized shoes if you liked them?

cp

My shimano road shoes made my feet hurt until I put specialized insoles in them and a varus wedge in each…

My Spesh mtb shoes are lovely and comfy.

scud
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I currently run the cleats as far back as they will go. I was told that with Shimano shoes to go a european size up which i have done, but maybe i will have to bite the bullet and get another pair of Specialized shoes.

lightman
    Free Member

I use midsole cleats.
    Some data, plus Joes new blog.

These were my second attempt at modding.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cleat placement help please..’ is closed to new replies.