• This topic has 29 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by 40mpg.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Clear prescription riding glasses
  • jruk
    Free Member

I’m contemplating getting some clear prescription glasses for night riding. Contacts are OK during the day but I’m finding it increasingly difficult in the dark.

Has anyone tried Kontor or Specscart?

I’ve looked at Rad8 and they only do prescription lenses that are photocromic and I want 100% clear.

Any other recomnendations that aren’t super spendy?

northernsoul

I haven’t come across either of those, but you might also have a look at Optilabs, who are well rated. They have options for clear lenses and are well priced. My own (non-clear) are from rxSport – expensive but v. good.

fruitbat

If you’re OK with bifocals then these are good –

http://voltX ‘CONSTRUCTOR’ BIFOCAL… https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0031JKMZA?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

bubs

+1 Optilabs. I have used their photochomatic lens for the last 20 years or so. I have had no problem using them for night rides as they do go virtually clear.

swanny853

Rad8 are great, although I believe the prescription lenses are optilabs anyway. The photochromatic range is ‘properly clear to fairly dark’ rather than ‘properly dark to fairly clear’. They’re absolutely fine for riding at night.

I’ve barely worn contact lenses in the 18 months since I got my prescription ones- wish I’d shelled out for them years ago. Other half and I have both been using the non prescription ones for a few years too and again, no problem riding at night with the photochromagics.

If you’re dead set against photochromic have you considered just emailing them to see they’d just do you some clear ones?

Northwind

I have a pair of Bolle prescription safety glasses- cheaper than any riding glasses I could find

tagnut69
    Free Member

I have used optilabs, even with my goofy prescription and polarised lenses were around £230

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

Prescription safety specs, visit your local optician. Fugly but they work.

mick_r

Uvex do some sporty prescription safety glasses – usually around £80. I’ve used 5510 and 5513. Tried riding in my normal glasses the other night and found the top of the frame really obscured vision when biking – made me realise how good the fit of the sportier safety specs is.

https://www.safetyspecs.co.uk/view-safety-frames/items-for-sale/uvex-5510-prescription-safety-glasses-18-deg-tilt

spooky_b329

I wear my Rad8 photochromatic for night riding. They go clear. They’ll also let you trial fit a standard set before committing to a prescription set.

I used to wear my contacts for just about every ride, I think I’ve worn them twice since getting the glasses over a year ago, and both times that was for work not riding!

If you normally get thin and light prescription lenses, consider going extra thin, because the sports frames are wrap around the the lenses get increasingly thick at the edges (and therefore heavier)

swanny853

Prescription is a good point- mine’s fairly strong so the flatter rather than wrap round style are a much easier fix optically. I’ve some specsavers sports glasses/goggle things and they’re pretty distorted. They did warn me and I decided to take a punt with my ‘free second pair’ anyway- they’re functional and did solid service for commuting and night rides but felt a bit like trying to steer while looking through a gopro in tight spaces.

cookeaa

I have a pair of these Cheapo jobbies from select specs I’ve got photochromic lenses in mine but they’ll do them with clear lenses for a bit less. Thin lenses are always better (lighter) IME.

They do a couple of other frames as sports type glasses too I think. It’s obviously not their core business but mine have been going strong for well over 4 years now…

Cheap, easily replaced frames that you won’t worry about damaging it all you really want.

40mpg

What they ^ all say about the Rad8 photochromics. Use them for night riding regularly, as well as daylight etc. No problem. Hardly touched contact lenses since getting them.

They wouldn’t be dark enough for skiing or sailing, although I use them kayaking on open water under a peaked hat fine.

But certainly clear enough for nighttime activity. Best investment I’ve made eyecare wise.

northernsoul

My lenses are Gen8 varifocals (with Rudy Project frames) and, echoing the sentiment above, they’ve been a great investment. They are light enough in the dark and dark enough in the light, so for day/night rides I can just put them on and get on with it.

jkomo

What don’t you like about riding in normal specs?

scuttler

Not OP but for me it’d be the windy injection into the corner of your eyes when you hit 88mph.

joebristol

I tried the rad8 cranes and they fire really well but they wouldn’t do clear lenses – only photochromic. So I just bought the frames from them and sent them to reglaze glasses direct and had them glazed with polycarbonate with an anti scratch and anti glare coating. Really good.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’ve barely worn contact lenses in the 18 months since I got my prescription ones- wish I’d shelled out for them years ago.

This.

Mine are Oakley Racing Jackets with Reglaze-Glasses-Direct lenses (great service and decent prices). It’s harder now that riding glasses are more commonly wrap-around styles though.

For me:

1) They fall off if I crash
    2) They slide off when I sweat
    3) They bounce off when I ride over rough ground
    4) I’d break them, and they were expensive
    5) My eyes water loads when they get wind in them

I’ve done it a few times (usually because I forgot my riding glasses) and whilst it’s not impossible, it’s just a bit rubbish. YMMV.

djflexure

I use smartbuysunglasses- choose some Oakley frames or something else suitable that take a prescription lens. They come out about 150 depending on discounts

djflexure

Ryder frames also worth a look – bit cheaper, from around 100 with prescription- I probably prefer to Oakley

spooky_b329

They don’t keep any of the mud out!

@joebristol

Do you mind sharing what it cost to get them glazed via reglaze glasses direct? And was it thin/extra thin and/or the ultraclear/clean magic non smeary coating? Would like to compare to Rad8’s partner as it did seem a bit pricey.

joebristol

I think I paid £85 ish. I specifically requested polycarbonate – guess just normal thickness. Then paid for the standard anti-scratch / anti glare coating.

They’re the 3rd pair of glasses I’ve had glazed by them – had a couple of pairs of oakleys done too – although I didn’t get the coating on them. I’d say they’re better with the coating.

theycallmejerry

As an Optician I have to ask, why don’t people go to their Optician for this stuff? I keep Melon in stock as a reasonably cheap but decent quality brand that can hold a prescription and I will quite often swing deals for bike riders, I advertise a 15% discount just for bringing a bike with you if you’re buying glasses from me! We’re not always the most expensive option…

cookeaa

We’re not always the most expensive option…

IME opticians pretty much are the most expensive option. It’s not your fault, you’ve got a shop to run and bills to pay I know. But let’s not kid ourselves.

And I do pay a bricks and mortar shop for the test to confirm my prescription is pretty much the same as it was a decade ago. It’s just they don’t subsequently woo me with the specs on display and/or 2for1 deals on glasses I don’t really want…

For years I thought I had to pay stupid money for glasses (I did grow up in a town with only 1 optician) but then the internet happened…

halifaxpete

I’ve always just ridden in normal specs (some random specsavers frames at the moment) Prefer plastic frames now though as some metal ones took a chunk out of my face during a big crash years ago. Rarely get mud in my eyes though they do stream up in warm-wet conditions. Plus I hate the look of proper riding glasses but thats subjective.

northernsoul

What Superficial said. Plus I like riding in transitions but don’t want to use them as my everyday glasses

masterdabber
    Free Member

This is a useful thread…. looking at using Optilab for varifocal, Transitions Drivewear polarised… is there a benefit to have the Extra Thin lens option?

jkomo

Ah I see, mine stay on fine, and I sweat and crash a lot.
    If they adjusted properly normal specs should be okay for everything, but it depends on the individual I guess. I always thought it was the cosmetic appearance of ‘proper’ sports specs that people preferred.
    On a 50mph road descent I do prefer a good wrap around frame, but the close fit causes them to steam up more on a slow climb.

jruk
    Free Member

Thanks for input, will check out the various links.

I’ve already got some Rad8 photochromics and whilst they’re decent glasses, I’d rather have properly clear lenses for night riding. Might see if I can get them reglazed with clear prescription lenses.

40mpg

@jruk Rad8 will send you frames to try for £15 deposit refundable when you buy. I never sent mine back so got their frame for £15 effectively!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.