Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Clear Fence treatment
  • jimmy

I’m wanting to paint out garden fence. It was new 2 years ago and hasn’t had anything yet, but is / was “treated” wood.

The fence borders neighbours on both sides, neither of whom want to paint their fence because they like the natural wood, but it’s starting to bleach out.

So I’m looking for a clear treatment which will enhance and protect the natural wood and hope they want to do theirs too.

This looks like the thing, but I’ve no real world experience of it. Any one used something like it to get the effect I’m after?

https://www.toolstation.com/wood-protective-treatment-5l/p68513

Ta

thekingisdead
    Free Member

That’s what brand I use.
    I usually pay a bit more than that but the one I use contains a fungicide.

I’ve never had a reason to look for another brand

jimmy

@thekingisdead – how does it come up? Does it add anything appearance wise or just treat the wood (more)?

bearnecessities

Great timing! This has just been done in last couple of days by some local lad in his half term to earn some cash (great job he did too)

4 year old tanalised fences. Before and after, left to right.

Another before and after, without pigeons (first pic is about 9 months ago)

Today, after staining.

And this is the same timber, but only 10 months old this time instead of 4 years. It’s set a lot lighter (apologies I don’t have a before picture) than the older timber. Neither are exposed to particularly unpleasant weather as the wind attacks from the other direction. If yours are mankier, it may set darker.

In summary, it darkens it but still retains a ‘natural’ look.

I use Liberon Decking Oil (clear), because I love the stuff and use it on other timber in the garden. It’s expensive, but quite reasonable from here and quickly delivered/well packaged. 5l covers about 8/9 double-sided paining fence panels.

https://restexpress.co.uk/View/20528/liberon-decking-oil-5l

Hope this helps.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Clear Fence treatment’ is closed to new replies.