Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cleaning up the oceans
  • SaxonRider

Just came across this article on a remarkable piece of kit for cleaning up the oceans. It looks encouraging.

Kudos to the surfer dudes that invented it!

P.S. Go all the way to the bottom of the article to watch the 2 minute video. It’s worth it.

BillMC

another angle:

cbike
    Free Member

Great can they upscale to the size of the Clyde estuary catchment which takes plastic from entire east coast of the USA/canada – and I reckon they must get some scottish fishing nets in return. Is there access for a JCB and wagons to take to landfill?

vickypea
    Free Member

Looks good. I hope it catches on. I wonder if it will pick up tiny pieces like those plastic microbeads that are still used in some cosmetics made by irresponsible manufacturers.
    The amount of plastic in the environment is scary.

mikey74
    Free Member

I like it, although it does raise a few questions (excuse me if I’ve missed the answers to these):

– Does it only catch waste that is floating on, or near, the surface?
    – What happens to critters floating on the surface? Will they get sucked in?
    – Does the water/oil separation process remove any “good” things from the water, such as krill, plankton or other tiny organisms that are needed?
    – What is the “catchment” area of these things and how many are needed for a given area?

geoffj

Great idea.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Looks good. I hope it catches on. I wonder if it will pick up tiny pieces like those plastic microbeads that are still used in some cosmetics made by irresponsible manufacturers.
    The amount of plastic in the environment is scary.

They’ve actually started to do something about them now. The US has now banned their use:

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/12/30/health/obama-bans-microbeads/

squirrelking
    Free Member

It’ll be a simple centrifugal seperator methinks, anything lighter than the water (and insoluble) will be thrown out. Either that or candle filters.

And yeah, it’ll only draw in what it can suck so anything on or damn near on the surface. Luckily that’s your plastics and sanitary items mostly covered.

mikey74
    Free Member

The trouble is there is an awful lot of garbage below the surface, up to 10m below, which won’t be touched by that. Still, it will have it’s uses as a start.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Like shipping containers 😛

aracer
    Free Member

It definitely won’t collect shipping containers

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cleaning up the oceans’ is closed to new replies.