Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cleaning inside fork lower tube
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Just taken my Fox talas 32 fork apart for the first time (for me) and the left [Talas/air] side has got some moisture and muck inside the lower.
    I’d like to clean this out before reassembly but unsure how to do it. Anybody have any ideas?

twohats
    Free Member

Weak solution of degreaser and a bottle brush.

sv

IPA from local chemists (possibly) or Maplins in an aerosol or indeed the ‘bay’.

sharkbait
    Free Member

twohats: such as detergent or stronger?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Quick update……. I used a shotgun barrel cleaning rod with workshop towels wrapped around the end. Lovely and clean now.

wwaswas

sharkbait, I read the first 4 words of your ‘quick update’ reply and thought ‘that’s a bit harsh’ 😉

theotherjonv

I’ve got a length of dowel with a cup hook (plastic coated) screwed in the end for this job, and then closed up with pliers to make an eye. You can then feed a kitchen cloth (ASDA value brand, less than a quid for 25) through the hook and wiggle and clean to your delight without worrying about what to do if the cloth gets detached.

sharkbait
    Free Member

@ theotherjonv: now you see I wouldn’t have thought of that 😳 ……….. cheap, simple and it works!

molgrips
    Free Member

Bottle brush, fairy liquid and a kitchen sink. Gets the insides cleaner than you could ever imagine. Have to leave it to dry out for quite a while tho before reassembling – standing above a radiator is good for this. Gets rid of all the dirt and ever last drop of moisture.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I usually take molgrips method. But last time I used carb cleaner which was 99p from the local hardware store for a 500ml aerosol. Wont get rid of lumps of grit etc very well but gets the last of the oily muck out. Dnt smoke while doing it though 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cleaning inside fork lower tube’ is closed to new replies.