• This topic has 27 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by hooli.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • cleaning "handwash only" clothes
  • z1ppy

My new washing machine (and the old one if I’m honest) has a hand wash setting, and the g/f’s handwash only items are languishing at the bottom of the wash basket (one item had been there so long, so bought a replacement thinking it was lost), as even though I happily do the washing, I ain’t actually prepared to actually wash anything by hand!

So another exciting friday thread, do you trust the hand washing setting on your machine?

wwaswas

I do trust the machine because otherwise I’d only get to wear stuff once.

No idea if it reduces the ‘life’ of clothing but I’d rather risk it than actually hand wash the clothes.

scaled
    Free Member

Just put them on and jump in the shower – sorted!

Del

‘handwash only’ is the clothing equivalent of ‘may contain nuts’. in most cases the manufacturer just hasn’t had the tests done to establish that actually, it’s fine at 40.
    when it goes wrong tell her i told you it’d be alright 😉

nickjb
    Free Member

All clothes go in the washing machine. If it doesn’t survive then it goes in the bin. Same goes for kitchen stuff in the dishwasher

trail_rat
    Free Member

what nickjb said.

andyl
    Free Member

+1 nickjb too

z1ppy

I like your thinking, but am still dubious, having previously been shouted at for washing (& killing lots of delicates!) everything at 60, I’m now trained to use the 40 setting…

pS: Del, no matter how many times STW has come to “our” rescue (lots I can tell you), she has promised to take down STW if we have a big lottery win, so I’m not sure your re-assurances will hold much water.

trail_rat
    Free Member

why wash at 60 ? the cheap skate in me washes everything at 40…..

rarely does something not come out clean …. usually my covies from working on the house/car- and in which case i dont really care.

z1ppy

Cause as a boy living alone for a long time, I wanted stuff cleaned not tickled 😯 .. and the habit continued until I was house trained.

Jeans and checked shirts are happy to be washed at 60, fancy knickers & tops not so apparently.

Cougar

am still dubious, having previously been shouted at

“I’m going to put these in the washer. If you don’t want me to put them in the washer, feel free to wash them yourself.”

Only thing I wash beyond 40′ is bedding.

Sandwich

Heave a desert spoon of napisan in with the scanties to ensure a germ-free clean at 30C. (This level of napisan use does not kill lycra either).

z1ppy

yeah unfortunately with that system (cougar), I get the feeling the stuff will continue to live in the bottom of the washing basket 😳 As she is already aware there’s stuff stored there

IHN

My Mrs, who’s rules as to what can be washed with what, and on what setting, are many and varied, happily washes her hand wash only scanties in the machine using the hand wash setting.

sandwicheater

All clothes go in the washing machine. If it doesn’t survive then it goes in the bin. Same goes for kitchen stuff in the dishwasher

This is my rule of thumb. This is also the reason I’ve shrunk a few pairs of suit trousers that are dry clean only. 😳

jambourgie
    Free Member

In related news: I handwashed a pair of wool ‘dry clean only’ suit-trousers recently in cold water.

No one died.

BillMC

I do almost everything at 30 and it works. However T shirts shrink v easily so my absolute favourites get a cold soak by hand with very little agitation (apparently agitation and temperature change is what does the damage). Interesting how in Aus everything was cold washed in a top loader when I lived there in the 90s, I think they put more bleach in the powder.

zippykona

I click hand wash wool and all my On One jumpers have been fine.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Just use the hand wash cycle. If it fails, bin it. It’s as much use at the bottom of the laundry bin as it is in the waste bin, so worth a punt.

vickypea
    Free Member

The way I do hand washing, the washing machine is definitely the gentler option!

hooli

I put all the colours together in a wash once in 2003, not been asked to do any washing since 😉

z1ppy

:mrgreen:

Lets not talk about my younger brothers green trousers and the rest of the hot wash…

trail_rat
    Free Member

“I put all the colours together in a wash once”

this is an issue because ? (other than whites)

IA

I get the feeling the stuff will continue to live in the bottom of the washing basket As she is already aware there’s stuff stored there

Well then, stick it in the wash, if something terrible happens stick it back in the bottom of the washing basket. Sounds like it’s safe there, she won’t look/notice and yet won’t blame you for killing it?

freeagent
    Free Member

I’m authorised to wash ‘mixed colours’ on a 40 degree cycle at home, but have to take advice on anything different…

However the tables are turned regarding the dishwasher – if I find my Damascus steel knives in there…

mattsccm
    Free Member

Everything goes in a default 30 which means I am safe as I was given permission to do so. In fact, sadly, I was encouraged to do so. Cruddy boiler suits and wax cotton jackets* also cope at 30 as long as there is no female in the house. Hormones I suppose .
    *Got to get the blood and deer guts out somehow.
    I believe that the dishwasher is rather more technical as I have yet to be given training. Haven’t asked mind you. Where do you squirt the Squeezy?

vickypea
    Free Member

It’s nothing to do with hormones, it’s because we like whites to be white, not a horrid shade of pale grey 🙂

hooli

“I put all the colours together in a wash once”

this is an issue because ? (other than whites)

Whites, colours and a new pair of jeans 😯

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘cleaning "handwash only" clothes’ is closed to new replies.