Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cleaning frame prior to invisiframe.
  • Jordan

Invivsiframe recommend using bug and tar cleaner to clean the frame prior to application. Just wondering if anyone knows if IPA will be a suitable alternative for cleaning a brand new carbon frame. IPA seems to be the main ingredient of bug and tar cleaner.

ta11pau1

I used both, the tar remover is very useful for getting rid of any sticker/protection residue.

Lionheart
    Free Member

General agreement here is, can damage lots of paint at full strength, so dilute down, probably quite a lot.

Jordan

OK I’m probably just being a lazy tightarse and trying to avoid going to find and buy bug and tar cleaner but sounds like it might be the safer bet.

woodlikesbikes
    Free Member

Meths would work fine. But not white spirit as it leaves a sort of greasy layer

cromolyolly
    Free Member

General agreement here is, can damage lots of paint at full strength, so dilute down, probably quite a lot.

Which,IPA or bug and tar cleaner?

Fwiw I’ve used autoglym intensive tar remover on car paint for years with no ill effects and there isn’t much that’ll resist it. Needs a rinse after though.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) really needs diluting for paint work, really at least 50%, if not 70% water, which mixes in well. Autoglym (or similar) Tar/Bug remover is fine and works well. Detailers and bodyshop people often use diluted IPA to do a final clean.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Brand new frame or one you’ve had a while? I’d just IPA on a new one and bug remover on s used one.

Jordan

Cheers folks! All good advice. Brand new frame.

duncancallum

I used electrical contact cleaner

Alex

I use watered down IPA on any type of frame (carbon, alu, steel). I make sure to use a lint free cloth otherwise you’ll end up invisitaping microfibres to your new frame 🙂

IPA is also very good for cleaning invisiframe once it’s on the bike.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) really needs diluting for paint work, re

I knew that was true on water based clearcoats – also true for powder coat?

Jordan

Just been reading up on it. Powder coat manufacturers say “Use only Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) or methylated spirits and rinse off with clean fresh water” to clean stubborn stains. Auto paint detailers say dilute IPA to around 10% with water.

srm87
    Free Member

Just used screen cleaning wipes and a lint free cloth. 5ml Johnsons baby shampoo mixed with 800ml water (plenty) sprayed via water bottle on sheet and fingers. Warm room and used a squeegee. Had loads of old phone screen protector kits lying around which helped. The guide inside the invisiframe pack was followed and results were pretty much bang on!
    Only did my forks, will be cheaper to powder coat my frame when in need of a refresh.

Jordan

Well, I ended up using the Auotglym Active insect remover which is not actually what they recommend and is an IPA based cleaner. It worked fine and I spent a very satisfying if at times frustrating day invisiframing the bike yesterday. Yes, it took me nearly all day! That was to do the frame kit and forks. I also bought a blank sheet to fill in the little areas that the kit missed.

Very pleased with the results, it’s very good stuff. Most of it went on easilly enough except for the top tube section where it curves up to the seat tube. I was getting very frustrated with that bit and was in danger of losing my rag until my son took over and finished that bit for me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cleaning frame prior to invisiframe.’ is closed to new replies.