Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Cleaning & drying 5:10 shoes
  • mtbmatt
    Free Member

Mine are stinking. Shall I just chuck them in the washing machine and stuff them with newspaper?

I’ve got a blower shoe dryer and it helps a bit, but 5:10 are so thick and clumpy that they take ages to dry.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Just leave them!

Mine ming – more of rotten fabric rather than sweaty feet smell. I’ll just let them die and buy something else later!

skydragon
    Free Member

You might want to rinse the worst of the mud off them and then hand wash them in sink full of warm water and Halo and then leave them to soak for a while in warm water and Halo.

Halo = here

Drying wise, I normally leave mine on top of a radiator for a few days, without anything stuffed in them

HTH

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Wash in the sink full of warm water, quick squeeze to get most of the water out, fill with newspaper and leave them somewhere warm for a couple of days.

Buy two pairs so you don’t put soggy ones back on 🙂

benjii19
    Free Member

Hose them down and dry with the coline shoe dryer.

didgerman
    Free Member

Mine smell of rotten fabric as well. I’ve machine washed them a couple times, but didn’t let them dry outside. Now I just leave them outside, think they’re gradually becoming bearable.
    I’ll use them through summer, but I’ll get something else for next winter. Too heavy when wet.

jools182
    Free Member

White vinegar dear

g5604
    Free Member

I chuck them in the washing machine after every ride, they still look new.

deadkenny
    Free Member

After every ride? !!

Can’t ride very often considering they take a month to dry 😀

I should clean mine a bit more than I do (i.e. never). Had one pair just rot away by leaving the muddy, though they were left in the car to bake in the summer.

g5604
    Free Member

*every muddy ride, they dry overnight.

br
    Free Member

I just put them upside down onto the back of the AGA when I take them off, dried out by the following day.

Airing cupboard maybe?

jools182
    Free Member

Removing the Stink from Shoes

Shoes can quickly become dirty and smelly. Whether the odor is coming from your feet or the moisture left in your shoes, it’s fairly simple to get under control. When cleaning shoes, your main objective is to kill the bacteria that is growing and causing the foul smell. This can be accomplished in several different ways.

Table of Contents:
    Washing your Shoes
    Using Bleach
    Using Baking Soda or Vinegar
    Using Inserts to Remove Odor
    Removing Odor From Your Feet
    Additional Tips and Ideas
    Washing your Shoes

What You Will Need:
    Washing machine
    Pillow Case
    Detergent
    Bleach (optional)
    The Cleaning Process:
    Remove the shoestrings, and soles (if possible) from your shoes.
    Place the shoes in the pillow case.
    Place the pillow case in the washing machine.
    Run the shoes through a normal cycle using HOT water and plenty of detergent. If your shoes are white, you could also add some bleach.
    If the odor is very strong, you may want to run them through two complete cycles to get rid of the odor.
    Using Bleach

What You Will Need:
    Tea Kettle
    Water
    Bleach
    Sink (or this can be done outside)
    The Cleaning Process:
    Begin by filling the kettle with water and bring it to a boil.
    Set your shoes in the sink or on a clean surface outside.
    Fill each shoe with boiling water and add a small amount of bleach.
    Let this set for a few minutes.
    When the water has cooled, dump out the water and wash following the instructions above. The bleach will kill the bacteria, thus removing the odor.
    Using Baking Soda or Vinegar

What You Will Need:
    Baking Soda
    Vinegar
    Sink (or this can be done outside)
    The Cleaning Process:
    Begin by filling each shoe with approximately 1 cup of baking soda. (use less for smaller shoes)
    Add 1 cup of vinegar to each shoe. This will cause bubbling and fizzing.
    Let this set and work in your shoes for about 15 minutes.
    Remove the mixture from the shoes, rinse, and wash following the instructions above.

GHill

Depends on the 5-10s. The previous versions of the Impact 2s were effectively a sponge with a grippy sole added. Couple this with a cardboard mid-sole and you end up with stinky shoes, especially if you dry them right next to the radiator.

Newer models, especially the ‘elements’ versions, seem to be loads better.

gonzy
    Free Member

that’s one of the reasons i’ve never invested in a pair of these. they look cool and are probably very comfy too…but i’ve read quite a few reviews stating they arent the most durable
    my shimano dx shoes on the other hand are 10 years old and when they get dirty i just clean them with a hose pipe and brush then leave them near the radiator to dry out.
    they still look like new and dont stink

smatkins1
    Free Member

I’ve stuck my sponge-like freeriders in the washing machine a couple of times in the last year. I always dry them next to a radiator.

I made the mistake of putting them in at 40 once, the soles were super sticky when they came out!

FOG

This was the deal breaker that got me to buy Tevas which don’t grip as well as my mates 5:10s but if we are away for the weekend mine are dry the day after but his are still soggy

chiefgrooveguru

My 5.10 Element VXi dry more quickly than my Teva Links or my Shimano AM40s did.

I’d be wary of putting them in the washing machine though – the sole was delaminating on my right one (they sent me warranty replacements without any quibbling) and recently I washed the dodgy pair and the sole started delaminating on the left. Don’t know if that’s because both were faulty or if one was faulty and the other was damaged by the washing machine.

skydragon
    Free Member

As posted above….hand wash in warm water with Halo and leave to soak…. Problems sorted 😉

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Cleaning & drying 5:10 shoes’ is closed to new replies.