Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Clayton Vale, Manchester
  • pocpoc
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of nights coming up on a training course in Stockport.

Given that it’s not too far away, I was considering taking the bike and trying out the trails at Clayton Vale on an evening.

So, a few questions:
    – Is it worth it?
    – Where can I park? National Cycling Centre? How much is it?
    – Am I likely to get mugged if I turn up on my own?
    – Are the trails likely to be a mud-fest at this time of year?

I could potentially ride up from Stockport – is there an off-road route?

Garry_Lager

Very much worth it if you go with appropriate expectations that it’s a small area, so lot’s of fun trail centre-surface loops. V smooth – one to ride fast, there’s little in the way of technical stuff.

I’ve parked in the velodrome car park a few times – free if you’re cycling, but don’t know how late it stays open.

Certainly an excellent spot for a mugging, as it’s in a legit shithole part of Manchester, but still statistically very unlikely to happen.

No mud at CV – all weather trails.

From Stockport you could ride through Reddish Vale, then a short bit of surburban roads to the Fallowfield loop, which will take you all the way to the canal which the velodrome is on.

scaled
    Free Member

If you’re staying in stockport then no, it’s not worth the trip.  There’s so much better stuff closer to you 😀

Take a look at Roman Lakes in Marple. http://www.romanlakes.co.uk/mountain_biking.htm they’ve got gpx files to download or you might find a friendly local to take you on a jaunt depending when you’re up.

IHN

What scaled said.

Harry_the_Spider

If you are here on a Monday join the MNPR. Clayton Vale is a bit crap IMHO.

crazy-legs

– Is it worth it?
    – Where can I park? National Cycling Centre? How much is it?
    – Am I likely to get mugged if I turn up on my own?
    – Are the trails likely to be a mud-fest at this time of year?

Yes in as much as it’s dead easy, there’s some decent stuff there and no map reading required.
    Velodrome, it’s open til 10pm and free
    It’s a possibility certainly but generally it seems to be reasonably safe
    No – bit gritty/splashy/puddly at times but it all drains very well

You can ride up there from Stockport on the NCN up through Reddish Vale Country Park and Fallowfield Loop although it’s not the best signposted bit of trail in the world.

The other option from Stockport is to head south and get out towards Marple / New Mills where there are several good loops involving Roman Lakes, Chinley Churn, bits of canal towpath etc but obviously that comes with the map reading / route following requirements. Have a look in the Vertebrate Graphics Dark Peak guidebook. Train goes from Stockport out to New Mills Newtown and it’s certainly an option to get the train out and ride back.

The trails are very wet at the moment though, the snow in March and then a couple of weeks intermittent heavy rain hasn’t done them any good at all.

pocpoc
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice. Having had a look at the weather for this week (I’m there Tues and weds night) I’m probably going to give it a miss and go for a run instead.

There’s a good chance I’ll be back up again nearer the summer so I’ll be referring back to this thread then.

grannyjone
    Free Member

It won’t be full-on mud at Clayton Vale, but it’s not a completely dry trail, especially given recent weather, so you will get bike and kit dirty.

In other words it won’t be muddy enough to slow down the riding much, but it will still be muddy enough to create a cleaning job.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Clayton Vale, Manchester’ is closed to new replies.