Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Classifieds Problem…
  • Podium
    Free Member

Sold a pair of headphones on here a few weeks ago.

They were as described and I had been using them without issue since 2007.

Now,through no fault of my own they have developed a fault.

The buyer effectively asked for £s compensation.

They arrived in perfect working order!

Being out of warranty there isn’t much I can do.I suggested trying to have them repaired but manufacturer tends to replace under warranty,if still valid.Or a an insurance claim.

The buyer couldn’t disagree with my stance but wants some effective compensation.

It’s one of the perils of buying s/h.If stuff goes wrong later you have no redress imo.

Now he is being an @ss and is going to open a paypal claim.i think pp tends to side with the buyer [certainly as far as ebay is concerned.

As is typical of STW – I’m sure everyone here will side with the buyer….

Normally I’d do the right thing if the goods arrived damaged or were not as described,but a fault appearing down the line and the chap getting @ssy = no way.

Bring on the flames.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

I sold a set of stadiums on here years ago. Worked fine for a few rides and then went pop.

Replacing the bulbs was a no go on those things and I felt a bit bad for the buyer as he essentially now had a useless light.

I gave him half his money back.

It seemed fair.

Podium
    Free Member

Just to add that when headphones arrived he said he was delighted with them.

Podium
    Free Member

Anyway,after insulting me after I had tried to offer a potential solution = NO CHANCE!!!

gravitysucks
    Free Member

How long did he have them before they developed a fault?

If he’s been using them for a couple of weeks and they’ve been fine then i’d say its tough luck. If he wanted a guarantee he should have bought them new.
    I’m afraid its the risk you run of buying 2nd hand goods.

wwaswas

headphones are tricky – normally break ‘cos someone’s pulled a wire out by mishandling.

I think if they worked on receipt and for a ‘few weeks’ then I’d probably be saying it’s not my problem as a seller – I’d have no idea how they’d been treated in the meantime.

ski
    Free Member

If you sell quite a lot on the classifieds and want to keep up a good reputation, refund him.

If on the other hand you don’t care……..

😉

z1ppy

TBH if he’s going to start an paypal claim, your seemingly stuffed, as reports suggest they don’t care for the “in and out” of a case, and will just refund him.

Podium
    Free Member

Exactly,if I want a warranty then I buy new.
    If I am happy to take a gamble [bike lights being a good example] then I’ll consider second hand.
    it’s just bad luck if a fault develops and next week or next year.

I know it’s a bummer but buying s/h is always a gamble.

These days I always send higher value items via Special Delivery so that I am covered for loss/damage in transit.After that it’s a buyers risk.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

headphones are tricky – normally break ‘cos someone’s pulled a wire out by mishandling

This. As you’ve alreay said he was delighted when he received them. Things finish there i’m afraid.

hora
    Free Member

a few weeks ago

How has he stored them?
    Has he dropped them?
    Did they get wet?
    Did he accidently pull against the lead whilst trying to take a jacket off?
    Did you offer a warranty?
    Do you know how hes been using them?

Yes, if it was within a couple of days of receiving I’d help.

But like forks – sell bike forks and three weeks later the rebound failed what would you say?

Its a 4yr old electrical item FFS. 😆

Podium
    Free Member

If paid for by paypal gift they may not side with the buyer…

Podium
    Free Member

As he sent a Gift.

Taff
    Free Member

They’re sold as seen. I sold Gustavs a few years ago that I was given, didn’t know anything about thatm said that they may be seized deffo needed a rebuild so put in loads of pictures. Had a good offer for them so took him up on it. He got in contact a week later saying things weren’t working and he wanted atleast a partial refund. Given that I had described and put Sold as Seen in the advert as I always do I wasn;t going to do any refund.

Problem is if you say they were working and he contradicts that it’s one against the other. Who is right no-one will know and he’s even written to you saying he was happy. I’d accept a 50% refund however I would want the headphones back.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Paypal won’t do a thing. He sent you money. Nothing to do with a transaction from there point of view.

Podium
    Free Member

I’d like to think I have a good reputation with regards to the various bits and bobs I have sold here over the years.

tails
    Free Member

Gift is non refundable. I have two paypal accounts as ebay is so full of crooks. I get the money and transfer it to the other then to my bank!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’m afraid its the risk you run of buying 2nd hand goods.

+1

People seem to forget this, which i guess is why so much stuff is listed at 80%+ of its new price.

bigyinn
    Free Member

TBH on your only obvious non classifieds post HERE, you didn’t do yourself any favours so im not really sure that you’re gonna get anyone to hold your hand and help you now.

Mmmm I love the smell of karma in the morning!

Podium
    Free Member

“only obvious non classifieds non classifieds post”

Plenty of non classifieds posts!

I think most people didn’t get the point of that particular thread…

Don’t need I need my hand holding ffs.

Just highlighting a potential problem that affects classifieds buyers and sellers.

Deveron53
    Free Member

If it’s paypal gift, you have the upper hand. He may be pulling a fast one so offer to take them back for inspection.
    I’d just say to him in my best deep-voiced Welsh accent:
    “oh dear, how sad, never mind”

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Classifieds Problem…’ is closed to new replies.