Classifieds pricing

Home Forum Bike Forum Classifieds pricing

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Classifieds pricing
  • Personally I think price pointing (good phrase) is fine. It lets everyone know they can get the same thing for less money with warranty etc. If there really is some concept of “community” on here that would be soemthing I’d expect.

However, I mean pointing out a legitimate seller, with stock, who’s cheaper. I don’t mean subjective valuation of stuff when folks say “you’re asking too much” in their opinion.

The only folks who get annoyed are the ones trying to sell stuff and frankly, tough titty 😉 Either stick to your price, drop it or pull it. Moaning that someone’s queered your sale is just bunkum.

I struggle to understand why “ridiculously” low offers are a problem either, and the umbrage that some folks can occassionally be take about them. If it’s too low come back with a figure you’d prefer. You either want to sell it our you don’t otherwise everything else is just haggling to get to a mutually agreeable figure.

Too much emotion, expectation, and unwritten “rules” IMO.

Premier Icon Stu_N
    Subscriber

Had a couple of email exchange this week on some tyres (taken off a new bike unridden).

“On-one have them for the same price you’re selling them”
    So obviously I had a look, and they were neither at the same price nor in stock. Pointed this out politely and one guy was fine with it – apparently Google is showing them at 19.99 so fair enough.

Another was “well you need to drop your price or I won’t buy them”
    Me “why?”
    Him “because I could get them from on-one”
    Me “they aren’t in stock, and more likely than not won’t ever be at that price again”
    Him “well I could have got them last week at that price”
    Me “well go and do that”
    Him – no response.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

I don’t know how you can knock them out at that price Scottchegg!

Will you not have some other stuff you can’t sell me later?

hora

Him “well I could have got them last week at that price”

😆

On one- attracts them free traffic int/onto the site though doesn’t it? Hence keep the links and the incorrect price with the thinking ‘once your in you may buy or browse then buy something else’.

I’ve stopped shopping with on-one partly for that reason but also partly for another reason that I wont reveal on a public forum.

bigyinn

As an occasional seller on here as well as forum whore, I had a couple of Hope Seat QRs for sale, as my brother in law bought the wrong size TWICE.
    Theres no way im going to ask for more than you can get them from the cheapest retailer. To be honest I had to drop the price a bit because nobody’s going to buy them without any warranty at the same price as the retailer.
    Some sellers ARE tyring to rip people off, or are just plain greedy.

JonR

As an occasional seller on here as well as forum whore, I had a couple of Hope Seat QRs for sale, as my brother in law bought the wrong size TWICE.
    Theres no way im going to ask for more than you can get them from the cheapest retailer. To be honest I had to drop the price a bit because nobody’s going to buy them without any warranty at the same price as the retailer.

I’ll give you £12.50 posted for the old style Qr one.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

for another reason that I wont reveal on a public forum.

but the negatives have been destroyed now, I think?

Isn’t your next frame going to be an on-one?

tazzymtb

I baretered an immaculate hope qr seat ar for some haribo, I really need to get this evil seller sorted as I’m obviuisly missing a trick here.

bigyinn

JonR – Member
    I’ll give you £12.50 posted for the old style Qr one.

lol, sold it wed, sorry!

ScottChegg

also partly for another reason that I wont reveal on a public forum.

But you will hint heavily to try and get a reaction.

bigyinn

Indeed, why mention it if you’re not going tell all?

hora

Its quite a strong feeling if I’m honest and worth a mention. I’d say it in person but not on a public forum.

clubber

It’s obvious isn’t it?

Hora was Brant’s bitch after a big night out ( a couple of shandys ) and he’s upset that Brant didn’t call afterwards, leaving him feeling used, abused and flashbanged. Now Brant’s back at on-one, Hora’s refusing to shop there.

Hob Nob

Hardly. No one is forcing people to buy items. People buy at what they deem a fair rate. Surely it’s the responsibility of the buyer to take that decision?

ScottChegg

If Hora was upset every time someone snubbed him he’d live in a cave by now.

His rhino hide has protected him from worse than a Brantish violation.

hora

Like I said, I’d happily say it in person.

uplink

Hardly. No one is forcing people to buy items.

Some are trying, for sure – whether they succeed or not is totally different

Hora, what does the RRP of the product your selling have to do with it? how often do people pay RRP? I’ve seen (and bought) Easton stuff from mail order houses at 50% RRP, so if you’d bought your bars then you’d be making a profit at your 60 quid asking price. Would that make you the bad guy? Would it be okay for someone to “price point”?

I’ve seen quite a few nice frames on here at “X% less than RRP” which has actually been at the price the OP is likely to have paid new when the frame was discounted (Hectiks, Mojos, 5-Spots all been heavily discounted) and have occasionally price pointed on the grounds another poster said that this is a community forum and p1ssing off the seller might assist other forum members.

No one is forced to buy, but this is a community forum and if people want to sell stuff (at no cost) then they either accept haggling and price pointing, or use ebay or gumtree.

hora

Don’t get hung up on the word rrp- I’m just using a point of reference.

For instance if I bought a Heckler frame for £899 and rode it for two years I’d think it was reasonable to expect £450 for it. If I rode it for 3yrs (say a 08 model but still current shape) I’d want £370. etc etc.

If its a very popular model though (like my old Blur4x) I’d be alittle more brazen- why not? So £670 for a 2007 frame is a good price as its rare and especially in great condition.

Whats wrong with that thinking?

I’m hardly driving round in a 750 beemer on the back of the odd used bike part sale.

If I sold something and I saw it readvertised higher – it has absolutely nothing to do with me. I sold something for a fair price. Its someone elses property now/then.

In terms of a ‘forum ethos’ – yes to an extent but then you get scammers on here and tbh I’ve bought 4 items from very regular STW’ers that turned out to be far more worn than they promised. Highly subjective is probably a polite term.

It seems forks over 1yrs usage get sold on here when it coincides with a need for a service.

Thats all I’ll say. Its all good people bandying around ‘forum ethos etc’ but I’m more concerned about paying a fair price for an item that is in good condition than a potential bargain of the century.

slowrider

i think price pointing is definitely a good thing. i usualy google seach anything im selling and price below that but wouldnt mind someone price pointing if they found it cheaper.

as said above, if you want to sell for big profits use somewhere like ebay. keep the classifieds friendly and trustworthy!

Premier Icon boxelder
    Subscriber

Here’s another

Indeterminate age and for sale (with downgraded transmission admittedly) brand new at Planet X for same price.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

I do like to see Pedalphile’s hub fly by in the classifieds, it’s like Halley’s Comet.

dirtyrider

the OP of the XTR probably did the same as me,

ordered a chainset not knowing the BB was included, then thought, oh thats a bit of a bonus when it arrived, so i flogged it on eBay as i already had a new one installed

bigyinn

So would would you insist on trying to flog it at full price even if you’d been told it was available NEW and GUARANTEED for less??

love

Item for sale at £1

‘I will give you 99p’

love

ok 99p {including post}

‘do you have pictures’

yes here you are

love

thank you

‘thank you’

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Classifieds pricing’ is closed to new replies.