Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Classifieds – peoples thoughts on how to post
  • mk1fan
    Free Member

I’m having a clearout this weekend. I’m going to have lots of stuff (bars, stems, rims, rotors, possible frame and more).

So, before sitting down and loading things up to e-Bay, I’m going to offer them to the STW masses.

Have people been finding it better to list individual items – eg the handlebars – or to list one long listing under the ‘Clearout’ title?

MrTall
    Free Member

Edit . I listed all together but the response wasn’t exactly a stampede.

TBH, i reckon the best way to list is to do it all with pictures as many people can’t be bothered to email and ask for separate pics.

I don’t have the first clue how to do pics on here (IT numpty) but i will have to learn i think.

Also, most people on STW don’t want to pay what you ask, even if it is a very fair price, they usually always try and haggle (no law against it i guess!) If you want to almost give it away it’ll sell. If you want a fair price, ebay may be better nowadays, despite the fees.

Speshpaul

this from the classified rules maybe helpful

No more than 2 ads on the page at any one time – Combine multiple items for sale into one ad or wait until your previous two ads have dropped off the front page before posting a new ad.

Jamie
    Free Member

I have just had a big clear out after splitting my bike.

Here is the original ad:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/bike-split-xtslxthomsonhopedialledmagic-shineother-bits-bobs

…and as things sell I just re-jig it and re-list. Allowing 24hrs to elapse as per the rules.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/155-kawasaki-green-dialled-prince-albert-other-bits-bobs

soobalias
    Free Member

either pics or links to pics in the post

good descriptions especially of defects/damage

have to ask yourself if you want good money or if you want it shifted, if its priced right it will go like hot cake.

thomthumb
    Free Member

pics of all of it. add 10% for the haggle. one big ad. hold on to stuff if people are offering silly low money.

wait a while then put up an ad with the rest of it.

oh and be prepared with packaging/tape and a time to go to the post office – its amazing how difficult it can be if your not ready!! I ended up wrapping a bike at midnight and dropping round to my nas cos i got caught on the hop without a box!!

peterfile
    Free Member

I’m forever splitting bikes and selling. Always get everything sold and rarely have to give stuff away for silly money.

Two things help:

Decent pictures in the ad; and
    Patience

The second one is key. I’ve had times where a list of 30 parts has barely had one email in 2 weeks, then out of the blue you get 10 emails and sell £1k worth of stuff in a day (happend to me a couple of weeks ago!). If you can just sit tight and repost an updated and tidy list once a week, it will eventually all go.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Imagine that it was you buying something. Think of all the things that you’d like to know about a second-hand component and make sure to answer them in the description of your own stuff. Here’s the advert I had for fork and brakes recently.

Post pictures, clear pictures, in the advert and give links to larger images if appropriate – like if there’s particular damage/wear or to demonstrate something would be indicative of how much/little use/care/maintenance something has had.

For your own peace-of-mind, ask people to post on the thread to let you know that they’re emailing. You might be surprised just how many randoms will contact you. Be prepared to repost as there is much less traffic here than eBay; and don’t be afraid to turn down offers. It’s incredible how much people will try to knock you down by.

Always, always send items by recorded delivery.

Jamie
    Free Member

Always, always send items by recorded delivery.

Just quoting this one for importance.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Speshpaul – Member

this from the classified rules maybe helpful

No more than 2 ads on the page at any one time – Combine multiple items for sale into one ad or wait until your previous two ads have dropped off the front page before posting a new ad.

Doesn’t answer what I asked.

I have sold a lot through the classifieds here – both before and after the Classifieds shake up. Things really changed and slowed down after the change to the current set-up.

I’m happy to post up a Handlebars and a stem post one day (in accordance with the rules), gradually going through my stuff.

However, I trying to evaluate whether it would be better to do a ‘clearout’ style post with everything listed or do them induvidually or, indeed, if either gives any extra benefit.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I always need to know where things are. I like to look and won’t buy expensive items unseen. Postage for an individual can also make things pricey and near retail if they are near new so a collection is an option.
    In fact most of my emails about things ask where they are.
    Be flexible with payment if you can. I am sure I am not the only one with a dislike of PP.
    I reckon a big ad as its easier to read and enquire about. keep it up to date though and after a week or to create a new list stating that its a re -ad.

crazy-legs

I find stuff either sells almost immediately or not at all.

With that in mind, I’d post it in one or two big ads marked “CLEAROUT” then list everything with clear pics and description. As it sells just rejig the ad and repost a couple of days later.
    If you list (say) bars and stem then another ad with (eg) forks, you then have to wait until they’re sold, wait til the ads have dropped off the front page before you can post anything else, at least with a clearout everything is up there at once.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Whenever I have posted multiple items I create the ad on a word document and then cut and paste it into the STW box this way when you sell stuff and repost it’s easy and quick to do again.

As said above pictures really help, be realistic about pricing and don’t expect new price on anything.

Also be aware of postal costs as they can really eat into sending things like H/bars if you sell them cheap as you end up making nowt.

Look into couriers for delivery live parcel2go etc as it can save loads on sending bulky/heavy items.

good luck with your sales

Jamie
    Free Member

Whenever I have posted multiple items I create the ad on a word document and then cut and paste it into the STW box this way when you sell stuff and repost it’s easy and quick to do again.

Same here. It’s essential if you have alot of BB code as you cannot edit the original ad to copy and pasta.

takisawa2

And if you repost, don’t stick it all back up with loads of crossed out lines of stuff that’s sold, surely its easier to just delete the stuff that’s gone…

mk1fan
    Free Member

valleydaddy – Member

I used to do the same too.

Seems like a ‘Clearout’ style thread it is.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

also a pet hate of mine is on re-posts when they cut and paste the link to the original ad – grrrrr laziness 👿

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Classifieds – peoples thoughts on how to post’ is closed to new replies.