Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • Classifieds etiquette…
  • hora
    Free Member

Used men’s bibs always gets me. Grim.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I don’t see any wrong in any of it…..I’m not bothered if I sold a few items on here and they ended up on eBay at a marked up price. Though I would sell them at a similar price but obviously pass any savings on from fees etc to someone on here. Surely that is helping a community of sorts….Maybe someone used it didn’t like it and wanted to cover the extra costs for selling on. It would have to be a huge bargain to make anything on top then.

We are talking anomalies here in a chain of events ie seller is selling the goods at well below a market value, the buyer knows this and is astute enough to know a profit margin, someone else doesn’t snap it up (probably will if its so cheap anyway) So I’d be doubtful this happens in more than a handful of times a week at the very most, profiteering basically. The mods/admin have it spot on its not worth scratching there heads over.

‘community’ Not sure that is the case on here per se. Capitalism is what we live and die by Why would anyone with rose tinted glasses think that this site was going to turn into a Jeremy Corbyn ideologist community…Some really odd people on here sometimes

Cougar

given it doesn’t cause Mark any hassle it’s not the sort of thing which is likely to be policed.

Point the first, whether it “causes Mark hassle” is irrelevant, we’re volunteer moderators. We don’t get any mandates from on high beyond what you see in the T&Cs, which is as much open to our interpretation as everyone else’s. The only time Mark or other Admin staff get involved is when we ask them to.

Point the second, it’s the sort of thing which is very difficult to police.I don’t know what Ashy is referring to but if we’ve missed something please report it again.

Point the third, the serial traders bounce back time and again and it’s like playing whack-a-mole. If you have your suspicions, grass ’em and if we agree we’ll ban them until next time. We can at least stop them building a reputation that way.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    aracer
    Free Member

Well I certainly see it as a community here. Maybe it’s a difference between big hitters those people who use the forum a lot and occasionally the classifieds and people who are mainly classifieds users and occasionally dip their toe into the main forums…

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I mean the classifieds more than the general site in the community sense aracer. Something mutually exclusive I think, money, goods, buying, selling, quite a bit different from chit chat and banter, advice, reviews and so on. Sales is sales, money is involved and makes people interested for the right or wrong reasons I’ve been around that environment a lot to know.

More a solution to problems that don’t really exist is my main point and one I think they have got right to be fair.

DrP

Used men’s bibs always gets me aroused. Grim.

Hora – you nasty….

Talking about selling odd stuff… we’ve a local “free up and reuse” Facebook page in Worthing.
    I love some of the stuff that people simply can’t be bothered to take to the tip
    -broken 19 inch TV.
    -trampolines that are ripped to shreds and missing legs..
    -a chewed and leaking water bottle!!

DrP

squirrelking
    Free Member

On the “why not send a PSA” thing.

What if someone can’t get to the shops or all the stock is gone?

If someone wants to buy something at their own expense and risk then sell it on at cost then good on them. Help a fellow member. My curiosity is aimed more at those who question the motives of someone who is simply trying to pass on a good deal for no personal gain.

When did simply being nice become a questionable activity?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

You really are unhappy about that ad aren’t you?

If i had bought the bike for £50, how much should i sell it for? Should the resale price be related to its value?

Would doubling my money be too much? because if i put it for sale at £100, then i would buy it. And again at £200.

Why not tell me what you think is right?

weeksy

I think community is MASSIVE on here..

Recently i bought a Kona Process which the guy gave to me cheaper than any of his advertised prices because of the virtual community on here. Which I’ve also tried to do in the past, advertising things for slightly less on here than Ebay etc.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I got a top on Amazon silly cheap last year but it was the wrong size. I put it on the classifieds for what I paid + postage.

The guy who first responded only had posting history in the classifieds. I bet he either sold it on here again for a profit or, elsewhere. 🙁

I cant understand why their are rules and then people are blatantly allowed to abuse it.

I was hoping it would have gone to someone who would benefit from getting a cheap top, but no.

tjagain

You have to remeber that while its a community to some folk on here – its simply a money making engine for STW. The adverts on the forum are the only profitable bit IIRC and as such anything that increases visits gets them more money so nothing must be done to reduce the number of folk that visit this site.

View it in this light then it all becomes clearer

trail_rat
    Free Member

Not so much the you making profit aspect

what annoyed me is you bought it in the morning and listed in in the evening with the sole intention of making a profit.

Could have gone to someone who actually wanted it for a decent price instead of being bought just to make money.

(for the record i never wanted it or even care for retro bikes to that matter)

curto80
    Free Member

It’s the manky old shoes that people try and sell for half the retail price that makes me do a bit of sick in my mouth.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Yeah, well you got completely the wrong story there. Did you see how long the advert was up? Do you know when it was sold? There was plenty of time for anyone who wanted at a ‘decent’ price. I bought it at more than the £50 advertised price. I like retro bikes, but it also is a valuable commodity, which i can’t quite justify financially. I bought it at a price which i could afford and have priced it, fairly, as many have attested, at a price which i would be ready to let it go. Much under that price and i would hold on to it. So, it is priced at what it is worth to me.

Is that enough for you?

theboatman
    Free Member

I have met some great folk via the classifieds and some not so great. I don’t mind if folk want to make some cash on an item, but generally I think that can be a lot different to someone that trades. I agree with tj’s points, but it’s STW ‘s business and as a buyer on the classifieds I look out for myself. As a seller, I wouldn’t have an issue with anyone commenting on my ads. But I do remember the days where the same individuals seemed to get stuck into any seller, and it was a bit tiresome. But equally I don’t use the bike forum for much other than looking at pic’s of folks bikes. I don’t really have much to say about many of themes in the bike forum and find the trolling tends to distract from some of the genuine humour on display.

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘Classifieds etiquette…’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts