Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Classic Stirlingshire trails – descending Glen Finglas to Balquhidder
  • 13thfloormonk

OK yes, it’s not actually Glen Finglas, you descend Glen Shionnie.

Used to be a ’90s MTB classic’ and I’ve hiked it, abiding memory is that as a descent it would be fine, maybe a couple of squashy bits to push across.

BUT

I don’t want to be responsible for anyone else having to push down a 2km ‘descent’ so is it still relatively rollable/rideable?

Have made a resolution to stop inflicting my ‘experimental’ routes on other people… 🙄

Ta

StirlingCrispin

I used to ride this route (and have pushed up from Balquhidder with a touring bike – that was a long day out from Stirling).

Best ride ever was when a bunch of Glentress-regulars stormed off in a huff.

It used to be sort of ridable – and am interested to see if it still is.

tomd
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure I did this about 10 years ago and remember it being nice bit / bog / nice bit / bog / bog.

Overall felt like fun but definitely one for the staunch.

matt_outandabout

This is in opposite direction

From Start of offroad proper –

Glen Buckie

[url=https://flic.kr/p/bGrkrg]Glen Buckie[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

Glen Shionnie

[url=https://flic.kr/p/bGro1v]Glen Buckie[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/btwyZw]Where did the singletrack go?[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

Finally seeing the ‘normal’ loop track

[url=https://flic.kr/p/bGrpZc]Where did the singletrack go?[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

It is mainly rideable unless very wet. Can get very sh*tty with cattle at the bottom end of Buckie which also doesn’t dry as quickly/perma-bog.

13thfloormonk

It is mainly rideable unless very wet. Can get very sh*tty with cattle at the bottom end of Buckie which also doesn’t dry as quickly/perma-bog.

Great, the Buckie singletrack looks nice but there’s also an obvious looking river crossing at the ‘bend’ where you could quickly hop onto hydro landrover tracks, would be tempting if things were slow or wet I guess.

Thanks all, I think we’ll commit, then on to Glen Kendrum and back via the NCN to Callander, at least a nice fast rolling end to the day!

matt_outandabout

Great, the Buckie singletrack looks nice but there’s also an obvious looking river crossing at the ‘bend’ where you could quickly hop onto hydro landrover tracks, would be tempting if things were slow or wet I guess.

The field over seems even more sh*tty cow field…ask me how I know…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Your Grrravel mates are gonna hate you for that!

13thfloormonk

Conclusion: rideable enough as a worthwhile connection but I would feel hugely cheated if it was the only descent of the day, some short fun bits, but we bailed at the first opportunity to cross the river and join fast gravel on other side.

Some beautiful wee trails further down the glen starting and finishing at roadside, kudos to local trailbuilder!

matt_outandabout

Some beautiful wee trails further down the glen starting and finishing at roadside, kudos to local trailbuilder!

Tell me more….

I think there’s an STW member in the new houses at Balqhidder bridge.

13thfloormonk

I think the same guy who has been building trails higher up Kirkton glen has also built something in Glen Buckie, between the road and the river. Is on trailforks. Thin, twisty, good surface, not much elevation loss so not mega gnar, I was happy on 100m forks and semi-slicks

matt_outandabout

I’ll text him and find out if that’s the only one…

13thfloormonk

Oh, I can also recommend Glen Kendrum, I think going in either direction it gives an awesomely fast and at times surprisingly rough hill track descent, I sprinted off at the top and was quickly panic braking through chunder, fun times 😎

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Classic Stirlingshire trails – descending Glen Finglas to Balquhidder’ is closed to new replies.