Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Classic Ride GPX
  • johnnystorm

Am I being daft or can I only get the routes from the Classic Rides if I use Komoot and have the right map pack?

blokeuptheroad

Dunno about Komoot, but you can’t download gpx files as advertised.

I recently paid to become a full member having perused the ‘benefits’ one of which is/was downloadable gpx files of classic routes.  I won’t claim it was the deal clincher, there are of course more tangible benefits, but it’s there in black and white as one of the advantages of becoming a paid up subscriber.

Except it isn’t, because the links don’t work and you can’t download any gpx files.  I reported this and was told (paraphrasing, it was a few weeks ago) that they know the links don’t work and are working on a better way of providing downloads.  There was no timescale as to when this might happen, or suggestion it would be any time soon.

To my mind leaving this listed a membership benefit whilst knowing it isn’t, is borderline dishonest.  I’m not suggesting there is deliberate deceit, but if you know it’s not going to be fixed soon because your developers are working flat out dealing with other issues, at least stop misleading potential subscribers by advertising it as a benefit in the interim.

duncancallum

What gpxs do you want?I might have a couple

jam-bo

To my mind leaving this listed a membership benefit whilst knowing it isn’t, is borderline dishonest.

ask them to cancel and refund you then.

seriousrikk

Never noticed it before, but the membership benefit lists 130+ rides but the komoot collection shows only 39 rides.

Where are the rest?

blokeuptheroad

ask them to cancel and refund you then

Because of this which you didn’t read or chose to ignore?

I won’t claim it was the deal clincher, there are of course more tangible benefits

I like it here and have no plans to leave, sorry. That doesn’t mean I can’t point out something which doesn’t work or isn’t as advertised.

jam-bo

For something that wasn’t a big deal, you made quite a big deal of it?

blokeuptheroad

Not sure who’s making the bigger deal of it here, you certainly seem to have the bit between your teeth.  Have I upset you in some way?

didnthurt

I’d like to see all the gpx files (or even just a basic route card) for all the rides that feature in the magazine. Instead I have to trawl through back issues to find a ride I vaguely remember, once found I then have to try and plot it as best as I can decipher from the article. Bit of a faff.

ampthill

For something that wasn’t a big deal, you made quite a big deal of it?

I think the post was quite balanced

I nearly started the thread myself. Because I’m in Swaledale in a few weeks and thought I’d get the gpx for the Reeth ride a few issues back and take a a look. But it looks like I have to buy the Komoot map first. My thread was going to ask if missing something. So am I?

I’m hardly fuming. But it’s bit frustrating. They cleary have the gpx files and web infra structure. Surely it can’t be that hard a problem to solve. I found the Komoot maps in the mag fairly hopeless

FYI been a subscriber since issue 1. I like the magazine and like being here

Blackflag
    Free Member

Could they not all just be uploaded to viewranger or map my ride or similar?

didnthurt

It’s dead easy these days to export gpx files from Garmin Connect or Strava. Used to be a bit of a pain but even I can manage it now.

blokeuptheroad

I think the post was quite balanced

Thanks @ampthill.  It’s not a major drama but it is irritating.  Having said that, I’ve just taken a look at a few and they now seem to be working? Good news if so!

Have a good trip to Swaledale.

SpiderDan

I’m with @johnnystorm here. A while ago the Classic Ride was shown in the mag on an OS map print and they gave you a link to a gpx. No account needed with a 3rd party provider and even if you couldn’t get the gpx, you could work out the route from the map and make your own gpx or use the old fashioned highlighter-pen-and-paper method. Then it got sporadic, then non-existent, then moved to komoot which despite the claims, does not have all the routes available and the squiggly line now shown in the mag is frankly useless. I’ve been in touch with them about this but no response. Yet membership is advertised as having the benefit of hundreds of routes available … nope. I can think of other bike mags that do a better job than this. Don’t get me wrong, I know paying for OS services costs money as does hosting gpxes somewhere in the ether, but please don’t advertise a service that is not actually available, that is effectively false advertising

johnnystorm

@spiderdan

I gave in and “bought” Komoot only to find that there’s a premium version that does all the worthwhile stuff. I’ve tried using it but find it’s no better than the last time I tried and I rarely use it unless I have to.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.