Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Clamp to set seatpost insertion depth.
  • epicyclo

To reduce the amount of faff when I reassemble my bike after pulling it out of the car boot, I want a clamp to put on my seatpost to set the insertion depth.

(This is to go on the seatpost itself, ie it’s not the seatpost clamp on the frame).

I remember seeing these around in the past but now cannot find them.

Anyone know what they are called these days, and who sells them? They may have been called cock rings, but searching for that is too diversionary…

jekkyl

I score a little line in the seatpost with a metal implement.

scotroutes

HTH

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stevied
    Free Member

Reverb ‘enduro collar’?

akira

Fizik do a little collar you can buy.

alanf
    Free Member

I’ve a PX seatpost with this and it’s a good idea if you need to remove your seatpost regularly.
    when I came to look for one for another bike I couldn’t find anything so just put a sticker on it to show the insertion depth. Not ideal but works.

otsdr
    Free Member

The Fizik collar also diverts water/mud over the seatpost clamp and avoids it getting into the frame, to some extent.

I have used the device suggested by scotroutes with great success after switching to a frame with an integrated clamp (and a different seatpost diameter).

scotroutes

FWIW I handle hundreds of customer bikes every year as we transport or courier them around the country. I’ve yet to come across anything more sophisticated than a bit of tape around the seat post. Similarly, folk use tape to mark handlebar angle.

nickjb
    Free Member

Jubilee clip:

50p from a hardware store (or £20 if you want “Hope” etched in it)

or use a bracket from a rear light. As a bonus you can put a light on it, too

epicyclo

I currently use a bit of tape, and have also used a ziptie and a rear light bracket, but I’d prefer something more robust.

The Fizik product looks nice and tidy, although I would prefer an actual clamp so it never moved.

CraigW
    Free Member

Why not just use another seatpost clamp?

amedias
    Free Member

Why not just use another seatpost clamp?

indeed, although they often have a lip on them, but that’s easily removed…well most do, the uber light ti/carbon ones often don’t

like this

I’d still go for the tape/mark option personally

core

I’ve always thought a post with some sort of clamp on the post itself to set the height, and a groove machined into it/a matching clamp would be ideal for this, keep the post straight and where you want it height wise, ideal on a more XC bike where you don’t drop the saddle but have to remove the post frequently.

Someone did bring out a seatpost that ran in a channel like this for their own bikes I think, last year maybe?

epicyclo

JoeG – Member
    A clamp that goers onto a seatpost to mount a rack might work.

http://salsacycles.com/components/category/racks/post-lock

Brilliant, just what I want and the mounts solve another problem I hadn’t mentioned.

Thanks.

And thanks for all the other suggestions.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

All you guys saying “tape, tape, TAPE!” are clearly missing the logical, obvious answer to the op’s question.

N+1 vehicles. This is a perfect excuse for fleet-expansion with a bike transporting vehicle.

HTH.

epicyclo

theroadwarrior – Member
    …N+1 vehicles. This is a perfect excuse for fleet-expansion with a bike transporting vehicle…

That’s what I’m trying to avoid. 🙂

joshvegas
    Free Member

Problem with clamps and tape is you cannae drop the saddle how will mrcyclo shred big gnar or indeed “send it”?

weeksy

clamp from a £2.99 Tesco rear light

epicyclo

joshvegas – Member
    Problem with clamps and tape is you cannae drop the saddle how will mrcyclo shred big gnar or indeed “send it”?

You’re doing it wrong. Up with the front wheel, arse in front of the saddle, and unicycle down. No dropper needed.

Nae problem (just don’t ask for a demo 🙂 )

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Clamp to set seatpost insertion depth.’ is closed to new replies.