Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Civilization… The Computer Game
  • mboy
    Free Member

It’s been at least 15 years since I last played Civ. I think my sister bought Civ4 and I had a go, but that was it. I got used to Civ1 as a teenager, loved it! Spent far too much time on Civ2, then Civ3. But not played since.

What’s Civ6 like? True to the old games or is it overly complicated by things that take away from the gameplay? In many respects, this was what I loved about Civ1 and then Civ2, it was all about the gameplay rather than flashy gimmicks. I appreciate Civ6 is hardly a new game itself now, at least 4 years old and probably not long for an overhaul, but well… Working from home is meaning the Devil is finding work for idle hands! 😂

Poopscoop

This is the last we will hear from mboy for months now.lol

Rio

Personally I think it peaked at Civ V. I’ve just deinstalled Civ VI; it seemed not to add anything to the game apart from a lot of tedious graphics animation.

damascus
    Free Member

@mboy exactly the same. I had a copy on the amiga. After 15 turns you had to pasd the security question so you always saved it in case you got it wrong. All these years later I still remember the answers.

What technology allows battleships? 🤔

I’ve been playing this on my mobile. It’s not as good but it’s playable.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.org.zielinscy.freeciv

Northwind

I’ve never got past Civ IV- but not to say that the newer ones aren’t good, just that it’s the one i sunk the most time into and enjoyed the most and every single change in Civ V bothered me even if it was better.

Mikkel
    Free Member

Agree that V is the best, play it regular stil.
    Also have Colonization installed vis Steam.
    I have a big list of games i wish they would redo with new graphics but keep them as they were.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve played a fair few games in my time but this never appealed to me. The game is too simple for the concept, for me, and Immjust wishing for more all the time. And it looks like the actual game basically stays the same when they release a new version, they just add graphics…?

mboy
    Free Member

The game is too simple for the concept, for me, and Immjust wishing for more all the time.

Even Civ1 was far from simple… Dare I suggest you’re either missing the point, or perhaps you’ve really not explored it properly. Anyway…

Fueled
    Free Member

I can’t bear to think about all the amazing stuff I could have achieved if civ 4 had never existed.

5 and 6 didn’t look like they added enough to justify the time needed to get good at them. I love 4 for how differently each game can pan out.

superdan

If you prefer the (relative) simplicity of the “classic” Civ games, well worth having a look at the open source FreeCiv: http://www.freeciv.org/

Got rules/tilesets that mimic the Civ1/2 play styles, and a lot of others.

I used to play it on the train down to London from the Lakes quite a bit, good way to kill 3 hours.

molgrips
    Free Member

Even Civ1 was far from simple… Dare I suggest you’re either missing the point, or perhaps you’ve really not explored it properly. Anyway…

I’ve watched my wife play dozens of games, they seem to be over in a few hours.

I didn’t say it was simple, I said it appears too simple for such a grand concept.

Daffy

Civ Vi is great, I have it on the ipad and its nice to use when it works, but is a bit flakey on IOS. I haven’t touched it for a while (I don’t have that kind of time) so this might have improved.

ChrisL

I drifted away from the series at CivIV. That was the point that the game seemed to have become too big for me, and I lost my intuitive understanding for how all the small scale changes I could make had larger effects.

On some levels, each version of Civilization I played added important new aspects to the game. I never wanted to go back and play an older version after playing a new one. But each iteration also chipped away at some of the essence of what I liked in the game, and eventually CivIV failed to maintain my interest. I did sink quite a few hours into it first, though.

I think I got CivVI for free in an Epic store offer a while back so I may give it a shot eventually, but I don’t seem to be in a video game frame of mind at the moment, so that’ll have to wait.

zilog6128

I drifted away from the series at CivIV. That was the point that the game seemed to have become too big for me, and I lost my intuitive understanding for how all the small scale changes I could make had larger effects.

yeah, used to love these kinds of games as a kid (when you have all the time in the world!) now I just haven’t got the time or the inclination to sink enough into it where you can understand how everything interacts and play optimally. You get people who’ve sunk hundreds or even thousands of hours into these games… could get bloody good at chess in that time, or learn a language 🤣

Actually do still enjoy lighter strategy games though, Civ Rev is OK although obviously massively cut-down which some people cannot get past. Played it quite a bit in the past but can’t see myself bothering again now. There are loads of decent board-game conversions these days, Through The Ages is a great implementation, that’s probably my favourite. There’s also a mobile/steam game called Polytopia which is absolutely fantastic, I’ve been playing it since it first came out, it’s evolved a lot and is suberbly balanced. It’s basically an Uber-lightweight version of the best 0.1% of Civilization!

(As an aside I actually always preferred Colonization to Civ and still retain a weird amount of in-depth knowledge about colonial/revolutionary US so was quite educational. Definitely made Hamilton a lot easier to follow 😃 Again it’s a much lighter, more focused version of Civ and I still have a few games every couple of years, it’s probably my favourite game of all time despite it’s many faults/bugs)

chestrockwell

I think it was IV that I spent far too much time playing? Cor, I loved that game. Then got V but never really played it as didn’t like the new way to battle. I got the free IV download but it doesn’t work on IOS.

Given the time I’d dive back in to the Civ world (and Footy Manager) but kids and general life stuff means I won’t have the chance anytime soon.

raincloud
    Free Member

Civilization……pah

Animal Crossing New Horizons is what all the cool kids play. I’ve even got a mortgage off that dodgy fella Tom Nook..

zilog6128

Animal Crossing New Horizons is what all the cool kids play. I’ve even got a mortgage off that dodgy fella Tom Nook..

ugh! Had that on DS many years ago. Spent WAY too long playing it before I gave myself a slap 😃 Fun but utterly horrendous & pointless time-sink, same as everything else (WoW, Pokemon, Elite etc) that are grinders with no skill!

ebennett

I’ve sunk a good chunk of time into Civ 5 over the years, haven’t tried Civ 6 but I know a lot of people weren’t massive fans of it. I’d definitely recommend Civ 5, with the caveat that it’s bloody addictive and can be a massive time sink! The mods also add a lot of replay-ability, and the Vox Populi community update basically makes it into a whole new game.

rossburton
    Free Member

My son is a huge Civ6 fan. The animations you can turn off so it plays nice and fast. He plays it on the PS4 which is a surprisingly good adaption but the youtube streams of it on a big PC look *amazing*.

copa
    Free Member

Think it’s a really badly designed game.
    Maybe it’s not so bad if you’ve followed the various iterations over the years.
    But having loved some of the old versions, found this to be a highly polished mess.
    Cluttered and confusing with a bad UI and just too many bits and bobs having been added to make it tiresome to play.

mattyfez

Not a huge fan of CIV games, but my mate is and he really likes CIV 6, make of that what you will lol!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Civilization… The Computer Game’ is closed to new replies.