Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Citizen Khan- WTF?
  • BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Not a big telly watcher but not sure what to make of it; is this written by Asians or have they got Alf Garnet through a medium to help out the script writers?

rudebwoy
    Free Member

its awful, just ignore it and post on here instead

bwaarp
    Free Member

My initial reaction is that the actors/writers were racist Indians having laugh at Pakistani’s.

scraprider
    Free Member

load of shit so dont watch it

Wookster

Yep I saw the trailer and thought blimey that looks pony. I’ve seen about three min during a pre go to bed telly flick and my first impression was correct!

Gweilo
    Free Member

I believe its written by the dude that plays the main character.

Gary_C

My initial reaction is that the actors/writers were racist Indians having laugh at Pakistani’s

Thought that was ‘East Is East’ ?

Anyway, Citizen Khan was created/written by Adil Ray, a Brummie lad of Pakistani parentage.

mashiehood
    Free Member

Being an ‘Asian’ I find some parts of it rather amusing. Important to not take these things too seriously!

chewkw
    Free Member

I like it … very funny. :mrgreen:

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

I believe its written by the dude that plays the main character.

Who’s that then? they all look the same 😳

mashiehood
    Free Member

Some bits do remind me of my childhood – plastic covers on sofa, dad thinking he was the community leader and they all knew him! Brilliant

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Who’s that then?

The main character is Mr Khan, that’s why the series is called Citizen Khan.

grum
    Free Member

I saw a bit of it, seemed ok-ish but the general standard of BBC comedy these days isn’t great IMO.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

I get it Ernie, just not funny, as wasn’t my joke

Kuco

I like it, I don’t take it serious and take it what it is a comedy.

takisawa2

I like it, but found it a bit cringing at first.

Loved the Call to Prayer last week…

“This call to prayer was sponsored by Sparkhill Mobile Telecomunications Ltd, for all your mobile telephone needs”.

And him chastising the neighbour over his squeeky gate…
    “Ah, bloody Wickes’s see, not like mine…B&Q see…”

bol

I’m really enjoying it. Good old school sitcom. Reminds me of Only Fools and Horses in a way.

RustySpanner

I like it too.

As said above, it’s a bit of and old school ‘Silly old dad’ comedy, but I like it.
    Thought last nights was the weakest of the lot though, with some real old groaners.

What with this and Miranda, which I also like, it’s as though Ben Elton never happened.

We need the edgy stuff too, but gentle can be fun.

Amazed that the show has received so many complaints – seems harmless enough to me.

hora
    Free Member

East is East is endearing and wonderful for the budget.

deluded
    Free Member

I thought the racial characterisation might be a bit post modern and smart, but no – it’s a cliched sitcom reheated from the 60’s.

Unutterable pish.

loddrik
    Free Member

It seems most ‘comedy’ programmes aimed at particular ethnic groups are a bit ropey. There have been a number of ‘black’ comedy programmes over the years, most have had a lower humour content than My Family, the ‘funny’ bits seemingly just consisting of saying something pretty unfunny but saying it loud in a Jamaican accent, at which point the canned laughter gets cranked up.

Non white viewers are smarter than this and deserve better than this sort of dross.

Swiss Tony was a traditional sitcom but done with a bit of style and shows that all comedy doesn’t have to be in the vein of The Office or The Thick Of It.

curvature
    Free Member

It makes me laugh and I wonder who is complaining….it won’t be the Indian or Pakistani community.

For the comment about Alf Garnett. Warren Mitchell is Jewish and has often commented how the humour was about Mr Garnett and his attitudes to a changing society. Jonny Speight (the writer) one numerous awards for his productions which often tackled racism.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Desmonds was funny

hora
    Free Member

loddrik you are confusing the British ability to laugh at oneself, never to take yourself too seriously with racism. Both are distinct. Those of lesser intelligent jump on poorly written comedy as one and the same but superior-written comedy is distinct and sublime. Rising Damp was amazing for this for its time.

Please stop looking at the surface and delve in. If you want to be British you must embrace our quirk of humour. Certain American writers have done this and created hit comedies.

Its not all jokes at the expense of Germans in WWII either is it.

RustySpanner

Good moaning.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Non white viewers are smarter than this

😐

rogerthecat
    Free Member

BenHouldsworth – Member
    Desmonds was funny

+1 Loved it.

hora
    Free Member

Porkpie!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The French Policeman in Allo Allo was taking the piss out of an Englishmans French when he was supposed to be covert… silly but hilarious.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’ve seen a couple of episodes of the sitcom and was a big fan of the Mr Khan sketches that preceded it. Some of the characters are ok Mr Khan, Mrs Khan, the youngest daughter even dave at the mosque. But the writing just isn’t that great. Maybe it’s been dilluted to appeal to a wider audience making all the jokes a bit telegraphed or maybe the writing just stinks. Can’t say it’s funny enough for me to watch enough episodes to find out.

RustySpanner

OK, it’s a bit Terry and June meets Father Dear Father, but it’s got promise.

Yep, needs a bit more depth, like 2.4 Children, but it’s better than My Family or In With The Flynns, which make me want to go on a killing spree.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Truely awful. I keep catching the start of it by accident as it’s on after the news.

julianwilson
    Free Member

I thought it was a very funny sketch, but seems to be lacking in enough good jokes for a whole series IMHO.

slight tangent, I recently read “Them” by Jon Ronson: it pre-dates 9-11 and has a chapter where he hangs out with the then self-styled “Bin Laden’s right hand man in UK” -this also concerns a self-proclaimed community leader who is not always tolerated by his peers, but is both funnier and true.

hora
    Free Member

Omg this is unfunny

joeegg
    Free Member

Anybody watch ” Count Arthur Strong ” ?
    Funniest thing on tv for me at the moment.

BoardinBob

I thought Mrs Browns Boys set the low benchmark but this Khan dirge surpasses it

rogerthecat
    Free Member

I must be well outside the demographic – struggle to watch Citizen Khan, Mrs Brow’s Boys, Miranda and Count Arthur Strong was desperate on the radio, it’s even less funny on TV.

Get John Finnimore writing for TV – Cabin Pressure and Souvenir Programme are impeccable.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Anybody watch ” Count Arthur Strong ” ?
    Funniest thing on tv for me at the moment.

It’s better than I expected. I didn’t really like it on radio, but quite enjoy the TV version.
    I reckon Fags, Mags and Bags would work really well on TV.

ninfan
    Free Member

Essentially just a modern remake of ‘curry and chips’ isn’t it?

tizzzzle
    Free Member

Mr Khan was originally a character on ‘Down the Line’, a hilarious and very clever Radio 4 spoof radio phone in show. He was one of the best characters, along with Tony Beckton, east end gangster, and Early D, Brixton rude bwoy.

Listen to it if you can find it, especially if you have ever listened to real phone in shows. Great satire. 😀

Citizen Khan doesn’t really live up to the radio show but it’s not all that bad, most of the complainers seem to be white Englishmen trying to be indignant on behalf of the poor Pakistanis. Not necessary.

southbeds
    Free Member

Orson Welles at his best

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Citizen Khan- WTF?’ is closed to new replies.