Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Church Stretton Family cycling?
  • beagle
    Free Member

Heading down to Shropshire for some time on holiday with the in-laws. Obviously taking my mtb for early morning and evening sessions, but I wondered about local, hopefully traffic free options for the fam.

My kids are 4 and 7. Gentle off road routes/rail to trail kind of stuff mostly. 4 year old rides but I have a towee and sometimes alternate between a shotgun seat with her wee bike on my bike and the towee if she is tired. I don’t really want to lump another 3 bikes if the only options locally are country lanes really. Off for a bit of map study, but if anyone has any good info – that would be much appreciated! Staying just north west of Church Stretton of that helps.

Any thoughts forumites? Cheers!

jekkyl

Drive to the top of the Mynde and traverse the length of the ridge from one end to the other?
    That’s all I’ve got sorry 😂

steamtb

Comer Woods which is national trust and part of the Dudmaston estate is cool for families, we started taking our little girl there at four and still do now four years later. You should all enjoy that, not far in miles, but it is 40 minutes away. There is riding all along the top of the Long Mynd, just don’t go down 🙂 If you head a bit further North, there is also Nesscliffe and the Cliffe, although that might be a bit more challenging for the younger girl, I’m happy to help with routes for that and could probably pop out with my eight year old daughter to show you around, depending on the day. I think there may be other stuff closer too, the biggest challenge is that Shropshire has lots of seemingly small but brutally steep stuff from a child’s perspective…

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Apologies if I’ve git the wrong place, but Long Mynd descent sounds perfect for yhe big un.

beagle
    Free Member

Thanks all 🙏 Steamtb – big cheers, I’ll investigate the NT place. May tie in with other stuff too. Cheers for the offer to ride – it’s carnage with the in-laws when we go away. Getting organised/changing plans for the day etc. I’ll pop you a pm if I get a definite day 👌

steamtb

No worries 🙂 although it’s an outside chance at the moment, if we end up at Eastridge next week for an early morning / evening ride without kids then I will stick a post in here just in case you want to join us!

beagle
    Free Member

That would be awesome! Another place I have never ridden 😀

p7eaven
    Free Member

Love the Long Mynd but there isn’t much in the way of family cycling I’d head 15 mins further south and explore Mortimer Forest, also Whitcliffe Common, over the old bridge to Ludlow Castle/Market town. Drink/bite etc by the weir/bridge.

mrhoppy

Drive up to Robin Hood’s Butt and it’s a pretty good rode for kids along the top. Other than that Dudmaston is good or round Haughmond woods.

cakefacesmallblock

Our kids ( now 13 and 10) both enjoy riding Comer Woods and parts of Mortimer.
    Riding on and off Long Mynd and especially around Church Stretton is mostly a leap too far for them. Although they are quite happy putting boots on and walking on Long Mynd etc.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Church Stretton Family cycling?’ is closed to new replies.