• This topic has 24 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by mb51.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Chunky / fat grips recommendations please!
  • DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Finding my venerable ODI Ruffians on my full sus uncomfortably small at the moment, having spent winter riding the rigid with Ergons. Am attributing that to my XL…hands.

Can anyone recommend any fatter grips? ESIs still getting love?

muggomagic

I just bought some race face strafe grips. Big and a little bit of squish so a lot more comfortable than the grips I had on before.

Stoner
    Free Member

Are oury lock ons considered fat?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    AlasdairMc

ODI Rogues are my grip of choice

cokie

Easton lock-on’s come in thick 33mm size.
    I’ve got a set on my HT to add some comfort. Early days, but they are big! Feels like riding a motorbike without gloves. They are bigger than the fat ESI’s I had previously. Also really nice quality with the integrated end cap. At £10 they’re a bargain!

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Ah, yes, Strafes ring a bell, will have a look at them and the Eastons.

DezB
    Free Member

I got some Santa Cruz ones they’re a nice thickness.

chakaping
    Free Member

I like thick-ish grips and just picked up a pair of DMR Deathgrips in thin/hard – I love them and they are neither thin or hard really.

The thick version was too fat for me, but may be just the ticket for you. I’d go for the hard compound, the soft felt like it’d wear very quick.

TimP
    Free Member

http://fabric.cc/grips/silicone

got some of these from SSCXEU in Feb. They are big enough I had to move my brake lever and grippy and I find them comfy. Weirdly the ones I got are lock-ons but they don’t seem to be for sale

buenfoxa
    Free Member

I got some Santa Cruz ones they’re a nice thickness.

Do you know how do they compare to the Ruffians in terms of thickness?

Northwind

Another one for Rogues- fat, not too squishy, and very grippy.

And personally I don’t like the ESI Chunkys and Extra Chunkys that often get recommended- they’re soft so you’re always squeezing them, I get sore hands

funkmasterp

If you’ve got big hands Chromag do a wider grip. I have a pair that I’m taking off my current bike tomorrow (I don’t have big hands). End caps are scratched to buggery, but other than that they are in great condition. If you cover the postage I’ll send you them if you want?

The ones in the below link. They are great grips, but surface area is just a little big for me. If you’re interested my email is in my profile and I can forward pictures.

Clutch Grips

tymbian
    Free Member

These were about the thickest I could find and at 5.99 bargaintasc.t

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Ah, thanks funkmasterp, will drop you an email!

davewalsh
    Free Member

I have ODI rouges, Raceface Strafes and Superstar Excel on my bikes. Prefer the feel of the ODI’s to the racefaces. Superstar feel nice, are half the price but last less than half as long.

PJay
    Free Member

I like ODI Rogues but have recently moved to Lizard Skins Northshores, which are lovely.

kayak23

Second the Deathgrips and second the thicker ones being a bit too thick unless you’re this guy.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I’d been on ODI Troy Lees for years but wanted to try some fatter grips so have swapped to Uberbike’s thick ones which I’m impressed with. Pretty cheap too.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Double post

leegee

I had soft thick Deathgrips for a few rides and found them way to thin and hard. Race Face good n evil for me.

Tracey

Specialized do XL grips which are 32mm. I use the normal ones which are quite comfortable

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

So ESIs are squidgy, and not foamy comfortable? I was envisaging some nice cheap shock absorption. Is that not the case? Why are people so keen on them then?

thorpie
    Free Member

Another ODI Rogue user here, I also find the Ruffian and Orange Strange grips on my Four too thin. More Rogues ordered!

Northwind

DirtyLyle – Member

So ESIs are squidgy, and not foamy comfortable? I was envisaging some nice cheap shock absorption. Is that not the case? Why are people so keen on them then?

The fat ones are. I love the slim ones, they have just the right amount of give but the chunkies and extra chunkies are thick and soft.

mb51
    Free Member

Hi. Lizard skins , North Shore. Is all i use on my bikes. Big, comfortable, extremely grippy in wet or dry conditions. I can’t fault them.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Chunky / fat grips recommendations please!’ is closed to new replies.