Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Chunky 29+ Front Tyre for my Krampus
  • wombat

I’m running a pair of Surly Knards on my Krampus and am finding that the front tends to wash out more than I’d like on muddy corners.

What chunky rubber can I run on the front that’ll (help) keep me upright when it gets a bit slimy?

Would like to stick with a 3″ tyre ideally.

bedmaker

Dirt Wizard is great.

fin25
    Free Member

Dirt wizard

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wombat

Unanimity 😀
    Thanks folks, sounds as though a Dirt Wizard is worth a look.

gibbonarms
    Free Member

DW is good but I run a Chupacabra up front and Chronicle rear, rolls quick, clears well and doesn’t slip.

Maxxis are doing 29plus minions now if you want super aggressive.

funkmasterp

Vee Bulldozer 3.25 is a great, tough front tyre. No issues with mud at all. I found that the chuppacabra would try and kill me in mud, very unpredictable.

Bulldozer

sillyoldman

DW is good in 60tpi, but the Minion is better by a fair margin.

Daffy

Chupacabra up front and Chronicle rear

Really, not the other way around?

rOcKeTdOg

Vittoria bombollini, surprisingly grippy. But then it all does depend where the majority of your riding takes place. Round here it’s loamy and rooty and they work well, if it’s clay i think they’d be no better than knards

bedmaker

DW is good in 60tpi, but the Minion is better by a fair margin.

I haven’t ridden the Minion 3.0 but I’d imagine this is true. Treads are fairly similar but the MAxxis will have a better compound.

wombat

The vast majority of my riding is on the North Yorkshire Moors so there is a fair few sections of squelchy mud with hardpack in between.

I have 2.25 Maxxis Ardents on both ends of my 29er hardtail, they work well for me but am conscious that the wider tyres don’t cut through the soft stuff and tend to float over it.

confused58

Hi,
    I have run Knards, Chronicles and DW’s on my Krampus. My riding is on the S Coast so a mixture of gravel/hardpack, loam/slop, clay and chalk, not much rock..

In my view for dry conditions I find the Chronicles (on Hugo rims) a better than Knards (on Rabbit holes) mainly as I went tubeless with the Chronicles to avoid pinch flats and thorns but both are “interesting” when its wet…..

I ran the DW on the front (both with tubes and tubeless), great in sloppy mud but slippy on hardback/gravel/chalk when the side knobs don’t bite in. But to be fair this was one of the early 60tpi ones, the new 120tpi versions are supposed to be better?

So, if you want better front end grip in mud go DW, but for means my local conditions its not a great year round aggressive front tyre.

As a stealth Ad, I have a new/boxed 120tpi DW that I am getting round to selling to help fund a Minion, email address in profile if you are interested.

Paceman
    Free Member

I’d go with either a Dirt Wizard in 60tpi or one of the new 29+ Minions. When I had my Krampus I tried Knards, Dirt Wizards, Chronicles and Chupacabras; the best all year round combo was Dirt Wizard front and Chupacabra on the rear (or a Knard if it’s very dry / sandy / loose – the Knard comes up big compared to all the others). The Dirt Wizard is very dependable up front, but I think the Minion looks great.
    I didn’t like the Maxxis Chronicles at all.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Chunky 29+ Front Tyre for my Krampus’ is closed to new replies.