Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 613 total)
  • Chub Club 2020
  • Premier Icon jimfrandisco
    Free Member

No tare on the scales (from what I can work out anyway) but the larger the receptacle the less of a factor the bucket becomes.
    So now all i need is a large liquid container….

As for the chemist scales – they have them, but objected last time i took all my clothes off.
    Besides, it’s one of those scales where they want you to put money in!

Premier Icon drew27
    Free Member

13st 7lb
    6ft
    Muscular build
    Two weeks of 16:8 fasting plus restricting to 1700 cals.
    Loads of trail running, riding and even some boring zwift sessions

Zero!!! Weight loss in two weeks… why?

Weigh yourself daily, at the same time. I.e. first thing in the morning after going for a pee.

Look at your weekly average and compare those figures.

If you are still not losing weight, then you are over eating. It’s easy to consume extra calories without realising it.

Premier Icon theotherjonv

you don’t need a tare, weigh the bucket empty first and then subtract it.

As above it’s a linear scale so in the end you just need the response to the weight which can then be extrapolated.

Premier Icon Rob Hilton
    Free Member

TOJV’s suggestion is far too sensible for Rob – what you need is to employ Archimedes Principle.

Some how.

Premier Icon jimfrandisco
    Free Member

So really my question about linear scale is…
    Is weighing a small weight enough to gauge how accurately a scale will perform under much greater weight.

Eg If 5kg/5 litre is out by 100g, does that mean 50kg would be out by 1000g.
    Does the degree of error remain consistently relative or does it change with greater force…being a deformed spring and all that?

Free Member

…and will I still look fat in this outfit?

Premier Icon doomanic

This week, I have mostly been using that well known diet plan; Gastroenteritis…

If there isn’t a significant change I will be very upset.

Premier Icon FB-ATB

Does it really matter if the scales are out by a bit? As long as you use the same set for each weigh in you’re tracking that movement.

@jimfrandisco

broadly yes. Scales should be linear and are likely to be over the bulk of their range but may be a little off at the low end in particular. I wouldn’t try calibrate a 100kg scale with a 0.5kg weight, but 5 or 10kg should be beyond this initial inaccuracy.

There’s also something known as hysteresis where the effect of adding weight to a spring and the effect of taking weight off back off again result in a different number – but this is relatively small on a well made scale.

The response is dependant on the spring constant (Hookes Law) and also actually temperature but the effect of that at standard bathroom temperature will also be too small to fret about.

(My Dad’s been in the weighing industry for 60 years, albeit generally weighing far bigger stuff than even the fattest MTBer)

Premier Icon grtdkad

LOL @doomanic

Premier Icon schrickvr6
    Free Member

Another week another 2.5kg gone, only 5kg to go to get back where I was 5 weeks ago sigh. I realised I was getting through about a litre of milk a day purely from coffee and tea consumption so now I’m limiting myself to two coffees, a cup of milky tea then hitting the Chinese tea for the rest of the day.

Premier Icon FB-ATB

litre of milk a day purely from coffee and tea

Black coffee FTW!!

Premier Icon joshvegas
    Free Member

My week has been a shocker.

Zero exercise. Way too many sweets.

Premier Icon schrickvr6
    Free Member

I can’t stand black coffee and I can’t drink too much or it buggers up my sleep.

Premier Icon FB-ATB

hooja

I still have plenty of belly chub to loose and need to be lighter for cycling, running and climbing. Also the dawning realisation that im now 40, I will only find it harder to stay in shape. Don’t want to be back here next year at 14st 7 instead…
    Maybe im expecting too much to soon? does this dieting malarkey take some time to kick in (doesn’t look like it from the awesome weight loss happening in this thread, well done all)

Didn’t mean to sound flippant, just trying to highlight some of us have more blub than others so can get early losses more easily. I know from previous Chub Clubs, you get some losses and think that the effort is worth it. Then it plateaus and you wonder why you bother if you’re not seeing any benefit. Just have to think longer term rather than looking for immediate triumph.

Think of it this way- you haven’t put anything on! maybe you’re loosing fat but gaining muscle!

Premier Icon FB-ATB

” I can’t stand black coffee …”
    I take it intravenously! Handy when we run out of milk at work- I can keep on drinking.

Premier Icon juanking

Everyone prepared for the day of reckoning? Weigh myself everyday so fingers crossed for tomorrow!

Premier Icon FB-ATB

Weigh myself everyday

and if Thur is better than Fri, will you still use Friday weight?

Premier Icon juanking

Absolutely dems the rulezz.

Premier Icon joshvegas
    Free Member

I played the long game last week. Weighed myself immediately after waking up.

I’m hoping a good purge will keep me going downwards.

Premier Icon longdog
    Free Member

Had a very well behaved low carb week with some walking and turbo and expecting good news tomorrow 🤞

Premier Icon Tiger6791

Need to shift some last minute weight before tomorrow.

Going through out local paper and there’s a couple of adverts for ‘late night sauna’ that sounds just the ticket 👍

Premier Icon gnusmas

Not had a good week at all this week but we’ll see what happens tomorrow. At worst I’m hoping to be the same as last week, but pretty doubtful. Be nice to see some sort of loss though.

Premier Icon FB-ATB

Been out for 2 meals so I’m not too confident, tho I did stick to just main course.

Drawback of having a Jan birthday, when you’re trying to do Chub Club

Premier Icon grtdkad

Finished off the last of the Christmas cheese this week. Happy days 🧀

Premier Icon doomanic

3KG this week, was hoping for 5 what with the gastro. Oh well, looks like last nights kebab was a bad idea for more than one reason…

Premier Icon grtdkad

Two pounds 🙂

At least I’ve arrested the week-by-week increase that’s been going on since September

Premier Icon demonracer
    Free Member

Down 0.8kg this week which puts me almost back on track so happy with that.

Premier Icon muggomagic

Couple of lbs this week which is good as I’ve not done much exercise as I’ve been saving myself for BPW yesterday and a big ride that I’ve got coming up at the weekend.

Premier Icon Tiger6791

Down another 4lbs for the week

Total loss for 2020 = 13lbs 👍👍

(Only another 2st 8lbs to go until a ‘normal’ BMI and I become a proper affleet)

Premier Icon FB-ATB

Down 0.7kg. Not as good as the previous week’s 2.2kg but I had 2 meals out this week.

Last couple of days I’ve had a stubborn headache. Logging my food on mfp it highlights I’ve a massive deficit on sodium. Could this be related?

Premier Icon northernmatt
    Free Member

Finished off the last of the Christmas cheese this week. Happy days 🧀

I had a baked Camembert last night. No cheese left now. Not looking forward to weigh in though, had a properly crappy week again.

only half a kg this week, but that’s now 2.9kg for the year and still going in the right direction. Puts me at 14:8 (apologies for mixed units)

next stop 14:7, which was where I started the second half of the year decline into miserable chubbiness, so that will have reversed half a year. Then the real work begins.

Premier Icon Tiger6791

Reversing half a year in just over 2 weeks is pretty good 🙂

Premier Icon cheers_drive

A surprising 1kg off this week, in 2 figure for the first time in 6 months. I’ve had no alcohol and no processed food, haven’t managed to do much exercise. Homemade flapjacks using dates and Benecol has been my snack of choice, so easy to make. I’m getting bored of lime and soda or tonic water though.

Free Member

Down again more than expected, but from what everyone says it’s harder from 2nd week onwards.
    Massive fry up in celebration then….ok, boiled egg on toast it is.

Premier Icon longdog
    Free Member

Lost 5.8 pound, so very happy with that! 1900-2000 cals, low carb (50-70g carbs) and some turbo and walks. Really my first proper week so obviously a lot of water loss.

Hoping the gales here subside enough for a couple of hours on Sunday to get a real ride in. Force 8-9 today and inspecting something on the coast at work was a bit stingy with shot blasting sand off the beach.

Premier Icon longdog
    Free Member

FB-ATB I take a couple of electrolyte tablets a day and add a pinch of salt to my lemon and ginger tea to help with the thick head. Also drink plenty of fluids, I have a serious sparkly water habit!

Don’t over do the salt though unless you want (or need before weigh-in 😉 ) disaster pants.

Even on just a reduced calorie diet (not keto) you’re likely to be eating less carbs, so holding less water.

Premier Icon gnusmas

1.5kg again this week! Honestly wouldn’t thought I’d lost anything, but that’s pleasantly surprised me. Next week hopefully will be a better week and I’ll actually start doing stuff.

Premier Icon YoKaiser

0.8kg this week, happy enough at that.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 613 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.