Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Chromebook – "you will not be able to send or receive emails"
  • Kelliesheros
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother tagging, google photos has some pretty nifty image recognition software, it basically knows what is in your photos andauto tags them.

I gave some examples earlier, but how it works does not matter, it is that it does work!

For example, if i search for fireworks, it returns pictures of fireworks, even though i have not tagged them, and they did not occur on a specific date.

TRY IT!!!! think of a photo you want to find. search for a date range, or a location or in the case of the BBQ example, search for BBQ!

Seriously stop asking questions on here and sit down and try it for half an hour.

G

EDIT: what scot routes posted whilst i was typing again… that’s spooky

sadexpunk

okeydokes, ill have a play.

i think ive found out why i cant upload my music folder to acc2, although that throws up another confusing issue 🙂

just connected my external drive to an old windows laptop which shows the sizes. 3 folders in it as i mentioned, flac, mp3 and mp4. 40Gb, 26Gb and 40Gb respectively, so thats why it wouldnt upload to a 15Gb allowance (acc2).
    whats confusing tho is that the drive its hosted on (acc1) only shows a total of ’21Gb of 1Tb used’.

sadexpunk

ok, trying to embrace the modern world 😀 and been having a play with the search feature, and its a bit hit and miss. sometimes impressive, a lot of times it doesnt bring up what im trying to find. ill persevere.
    what ive tried doing to make it easier to find in future, is creating albums named ‘BBQs’ for instance, hoping that the album title will be enough of a tag to bring stuff up in a search.

couple of questions to help me on my way……

1. i started deleting cr@p pics, hundreds of whatsapp rubbish that people send to various groups im in. then i thought, what if it syncs with my gallery every week or something and sticks em all back in. is this likely to happen, or once ive deleted something, will it stay deleted? or should i delete these pics from phone gallery instead? dont really know how sync works.

2. is there a setting anywhere that means google photos will only add my camera photos rather than all this whatsapp rubbish? i know in my gallery i can choose not to display them, but what about google photos?

3. i decided to take the hit and delete my big music folder. 100Gb or so of data. its gone now, but my drive still shows that im using 21Gb of 1Tb same as before. almost as tho the music folder was never there anyway. but now ive no idea what to delete to get down below 15Gb, i dont have many videos left on there which i assume are the biggest files? any ideas why this is happening?

4. cant see a way to tag the odd individual photos that would be impossible to find by google and only i would know what they are. you know, such as ‘john falling over’ or ‘bobs broken leg’ etc. is this possible?

thanks

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scotroutes

2. I don’t use Whatsapp but is there not something in the settings that lets you specify the Save directory for it? Then you should be able to tell Photos not to sync that directory. For instance, I have Photos syncing my Camera directory. I could add Facebook, Download and Instagram

sadexpunk

ok, i think ive found it. but the settings only available on my phones google photos, not my chromebook. ive de-selected all the whatsapp/instagram/facebook jobbies, so now google photos should only show my camera pics and gallery.

which leads me onto a related question (you just knew it would didnt you) 😀
    in my phones gallery, i can show/hide albums (so whatsapp/instagram/facebook etc). but i assume theyre always there, just not shown, because as soon as i select whatsapp say, they appear in my gallery again.
    now does google photos, when it syncs to ‘gallery only’ know not to show the whatsapp pics? so whatever i select to show in gallery, its independant of the settings in google photos?

so i can show/not show whatever i like in gallery, but if ive deselcted them all in google photos, they wont appear?

sorry if that sounds confusing, hope you understand what im asking. im getting there i think 😀

thanks

sadexpunk

hope i havent bored you to death with this as the answers seem to have dried up 🙂

1,2,3,4 ^^^ still ‘open to answers’ 😀

added to that now is something else i dont understand. i spent quite a while yesterday deleting about 1000 whatsapp pics from my chromebooks ‘google photos’.
    but, theyre all still in my phones ‘google photos’! also my phone is set to not save whatsapp pics. why are they still there?

any idea why my chromebook and phone dont show the same pics? if i delete from one shouldnt it delete from the other?

thanks

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t know mate – I am only guessing, I don’t use any of this software 🙂

Although in my experience these drive thingies seem to hide their data in different places. I think in OneDrive when you go to it in your browser, it’s not in the root of the whole thing – it’s in the root of your file area. There’s another layer above that, from which you can get to the places that would normally be hidden, like your camera and phone backup etc.

sadexpunk

thanks for the answer, but dont really understand it, spose thats the problem tho 🙂

ive sort of discovered why my ‘data used’ didnt go down when i deleted the big folder. it went into the bin, which still counted as data 🙂 so i had to empty bin too. now its a manageable 9Gb used which means ill be able to use my gmail now 🙂
    what it doesnt explain tho is why a 100Gb folder only knocks my data used down to 9Gb from 21Gb. ah well, not worth losing sleep over, dont think ill ever understand it.

thanks

prawny

I didn’t know about the photo search thing, that is amazing. Going to bulk upload all of my pictures now.

I typed in BMW out of interest and it came up with a load of pictures with BM’s just in the fore/background, even one where you could only see half a wheel and a door.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Chromebook – "you will not be able to send or receive emails"’ is closed to new replies.