Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Chromebook keyboard fail
  • white101

I bought my Dad a chromebook for Christmas 2017, he has his eurosport app on there for his winter sports and cycling, uses it for general you tube watching for bike racing and not much else. Its been his entertainment pretty much non stop since I got it for him.
    Sadly the keyboard has had a wobble and some keys have stopped working, I’ve followed some general advice on you tube about removing the keyboard from its connections and replacing it but to no avail, nothing has improved.

Anybody have ideas? I’d like to get him back watching the stuff he enjoys.

spooky_b329

Realistically its a replacement keyboard off ebay (some keyboards are easy to replace from the front, others needs the whole laptop taking apart from the back) Its probably got liquid damage.

white101

It definitely had fruit scone ingress! He may have stopped riding 30 years ago but he still enjoys the coffee and cake stops even from the armchair

Cougar

Cheap option: USB keyboard.

Other than that, full-sized desktop keyboards are often repairable (if you can be arsed) but I’ve tried many times to repair laptop keyboards and unless it’s been a basic mechanical issue (eg, replacing the scissor underneath a key or removing crisps and random grot) I’ve been wholly unsuccessful. Without seeing it I would guess it’s almost certainly Donald Ducked and needs replacing as a unit. Look for a part code sticker on the underside and hit Google / ebay.

If it’s had something sugary spilt in it then depending on the construction you might get away with sticking it under the tap and then leaving it to dry out thoroughly. Equally, this could kill it completely and it’s not a course of action I’d recommend unless you’ve exhausted every other possibility and it’s shit or bust.

unovolo
    Free Member

Not  a HP one by any chance? My mother is on her fourth one now.

She had got the first one a few years back and it failed within about 3 months, returned for repair.

The replacement was good for about 12months before the same happened(keys in a diagonal line across the centre of keyboard stop responding or only work occasionally).

Googled it and seems to be a common fault (that HP wont admit to) the fix on that model was to removed the keyboard and the ribbon tape underneath needs folding in a different place and retaping down to stop it moving.

Twas good for about another 12 months , then she decided to replace it with another newer HP model, that failed after a week!  screen would only work in certain positions (Back light would cut off when opened fully) Thats been returned and the replacement so far is good.

Seems the keyboards failing and display backlight failing are fairly common and both are generally down to poorly placed/routed wiring at manufacture.

white101

Cougar – I’ve had 2 USB keyboards lying in the spare room for donkeys, they went on the tip/recycling run before xmas!

Will take apart again tomorrow and have a search for that part number.

Unovolo – The is an Asus C202S, apparently quite a common occurrence with this model as well.

Cougar

Cougar – I’ve had 2 USB keyboards lying in the spare room for donkeys, they went on the tip/recycling run before xmas!

I’m all too familiar with that pain.

Will take apart again tomorrow and have a search for that part number.

Point here is, if you search for “[chromebook model] keyboard” you’re going to get US etc layout keyboards. Matching the actual part should avoid that.

white101

Thats exactly what i’ve been finding so far, googling hasn’t helped just searching for C202S

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Chromebook keyboard fail’ is closed to new replies.