Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Chrome – Stupid Idea?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

MrA, indeed that is probably the case, sadly….

Having said that, no matter how hard I try, I’ve still not as much as dented an alloy frame. I hit a HUGE great big tree after landing a jump a bit wrong on the Yeti and only bent a shifter mount bolt! I think I broke a rib, though…..

juan
    Free Member

Well in the 9O’s all sunn mtb were chromed… So it’s doable.
    If you want I can get the 853 out of your hands 😉

mamadirt
    Free Member

I was very tempted to get mine fully chromed – iirc it would have cost me upwards of £200 but after speaking to the folks at Bob Jackson Cycles on the phone I decided on just the dropouts in the end as they weren’t able to guarantee a flawless finish particularly around tube joins. Top job though . . .

mustard
    Free Member

http://www.bicyclefixation.com/50buckbike.html

Check out that one, it covers a few of the pitfalls and mistakes thay made along the way. Looks to me like nickel plating rather than chrome is the way to go, and do your own masking!

I think it’s look ace!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I red my case, m’lud.

Mustard – Good article, it seems the only problem they had was fitting the wrong headset and cracking the frame. Good tips about the masking, though, cheers
    🙂

thepodge
    Free Member

nickel plating will wear off, you’ll have to lacquer it afterwards

Ti_Tim
    Free Member

I’d never even thought about this but I’m quite taken with the idea of polishing a steel frame until its got a mirror like finish – anyone done that or recommend anyone ?

aP
    Free Member

A friend of mine used to work in a metal platers in Wednesfield, he had a rather horrible story about one of the guys there jumping into the arsenic bath. He left soon afterwards.

chopperT
    Free Member

Not such a good idea. Those unfamiliar with the term “hydrogen embrittlement” should do a quick google. Here’s an interesting link.

http://www.finishing.com/1600-1799/1747.shtml

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Those unfamiliar with the term “hydrogen embrittlement” should do a quick google

Or just ignore it and do what the hell they like.
    😉

Saccades
    Free Member

Let me see, a chromed Inbred frame, that would be something like this then:

Didn’t take long for this to happen…

Which is worse than the standard virtually non-existant Inbred paint.

Saccades, no offence, but that doesn’t look like a very good chrome job in the first place.

Most chrome plated BMX frames are triple plated.

I was thinking of getting a BMX frame chromed soon and was recommended a place called South Coast Chrome (or something like that) as they used to do the chroming for Rickman and MRD in the 80s.

Saccades
    Free Member

It wasn’t (don’t have a brand new photo so both are 12 months old), but all 2 chrome frames I’e owned looked gash very quickly, there is nothing to hide any blemishes.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Chrome – Stupid Idea?’ is closed to new replies.