Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Chrome OS instead of Android? Or just get a tablet?
  • stumpy01

I’ve got an LG tablet, which must be at least 6yrs old.
    It still runs OK, but the screen is breaking down and becoming less and less responsive. The same thing happened to my Wife’s of the same model.

I don’t want an Apple device and don’t really get on with Samsung products, which I realise probably loses me 95% of the tablet options out there…..

But I’ve been looking at the Lenovo Chromebook Duet which seems to me to be a Chrome OS tablet with bundled keyboard and case that can also be used to run Android apps.
    Without buying it and seeing how I get on, I am not sure whether this will be any good, or just a clunky fudge that over-complicates what I really need.
    Does anyone have any experience of using this type of thing predominantly as a tablet? I don’t wanna find half the apps I want are not compatible, or don’t work very well.

The other options are something like a Lenovo M10 tablet which I quite like the idea of as the charging stand lets it run as a Google Home screen and would sit nicely on my work desk.

Or just stuck it up and get a Samsung that fits in budget?

Ta.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

Not all apps run on my Chromebook. Eg they’re not available in the appstore. Zwift is one of those that don’t….annoyingly.

Also apps don’t always render or work as flawlessly as on a phone/tablet.

If apps is the main usage I’d go for a tablet. Performance isn’t always great either, Roblox (…) Doesn’t run well on our Chromebook but then again it is not a high spec one.

stumpy01

Cheers swedishmatt. I think the Chromebook Duet won’t be the correct tool for the job, although it looks like a really nice bit of kit.

GrahamA
    Free Member

I think it would depend on wheather you want a tablet that can funtion as (small) laptop or a laptop (chromebook) that can work as a tablet.

If its the former I’d have anoter look at the Samsungs – I’m typing this on a Tab5 with the keyboard cover – I use it more than my laptop but that is more to do with c19. They are not cheep as Samsung seem to think that they are in the same space as an iPad (pro). An advantage of the Samsungs is that they can run in ‘Dex’ mode and driver and external monitor.

I’ve not used ChromeOS in tablet mode but I do have old Lenovo yoga that is meant to function as a tablet and it’s a bit rubbish – works well at trade shows buts that’s all. Definitally on the try before buying in my opinion

stumpy01

Thanks GrahamA – sounds like a tablet is the way to go, to be honest!

kaiser
    Free Member

I just bought a fire HD tablet 10″ in the prime sale for £90 .Will probably be available again in black Friday deals at same price. After a bit of faffing about I know have most things sorted using the “Amazon fire tool” to install all the Google stuff, playstore etc and hide the unwanted Amazon bloat. It also removed the lock screen ads. Amazing value but maybe not want you want.

stumpy01

Cheers Kaiser, I’ll take a look.

My daughter has a Fire 8″ and I was put-off by the locked-in Amazon side to it.

Is that easy to get around?

GrahamA
    Free Member

Check out XDA and this thread

Doesn’t look to complicated but it depends on how technical you are.

Russell96

Had a Lenovo Duet for a few months now, to be honest in tablet mode I haven’t noticed any difference from my prior Android tablets. Saying that I’ve been mainly using Chrome OS native apps and only a handful of Android apps on it. It’s of an ok thickness as a tablet, add in the the cover and keyboard and of course its a bit more bulky.

At the price (with Student discount) it was a steal. A major advantage of it over most Android tablets, is the regular OS update cycle with updates until June 2028, how many devices apart from Apple get that.

Performance wise I’ve no complaints, noting that my bar is set high using an Ipad Pro for a lot of my work.

kaiser
    Free Member

Re the Amazon fire toolbox ..really easy ..you just download to a Windows computer then plug in the tablet and choose what you want. I’m far from an IT expert.
    I’ve had a couple of issues like Google search not showing images ..god knows why. Got round it using Chrome and choosing a desktop version of the results. Otherwise use other browsers . Only other thing is when you want to uninstall an app from Google playstore you have to do it via the playstore itself as the Amazon environment isn’t set up to do it.
    Otherwise phenomenal value and great screen for the price .

dannybgoode

Don’t rule Apple out altogether. I used to hate all their products with a passion however their tablets are the best going IMO.

The newer versions of iOS (14 in particular) are far less restrictive than it used to be- external storage, more than one app open, not being tied to iTunes to actually do anything etc are now all part of the package.

Battery life is brilliant and prices much more reasonable than of old too.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Chrome OS instead of Android? Or just get a tablet?’ is closed to new replies.