• This topic has 46 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Ro5ey.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • chrome book viable laptop?
  • andybrad

Ok the xps laptop i have has just died. Its looking like 800 quid pls for something of similar spec so im wondering if just getting a chromebook is a good idea? It would be the only household computer. No need for anything other than music cad and photos really. and office.

sharkbait
    Free Member

If you can do everything online then they are brilliant.
    So:
    Music = spotify, etc
    Cad = Google something?
    Photos = Flickr etc
    office = Google docs.

molgrips
    Free Member

Of course it’s viable, why do you think they were invented?

You can store photos on them, if you either get one with a hard disk or use an external hard disk. As for music – depends what you mean. You can’t use iTunes but you can store music on it if you have a HD. Or you could just use Google Play service.

allthepies
    Free Member

Chromebook vs a £800 spec laptop ?

Why do you need such a powerful laptop ? Chromebooks are bare bones machines, designed for web access / cloud computing.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Why do you 90% of the population need such a powerful laptop ? Chromebooks are bare bones machines, designed for web access / cloud computing.

looks better.

bob_summers

I bought an Acer c720 last month purely on price and weight (it comes to work with me every day on the bike, needs to take some abuse without being too expensive to replace). I’ve always used Linux but found the Chrome OS more than adequate for ‘home’ use, but it lacked a couple of things* I need for work so I put Bodhi linux on it. Slightly shorter battery life now (still gets through a day), but now it does everything.

*teaching things, unlikely anyone else would need them.

cp

what do you want to do with your photos? Not very good for editing as they are low power and AFAIK they dont have much in the way of editing software. The screens are also low quality and low resolution, so not great colour/contrast etc… depends how serious you are about your photos though!

you’ll not be able to run pukka office, but can run google docs, obviously.

for general home-only spreadsheets and letter writing, bit of music playing, online video streaming and photo ‘viewing’ or uploading to online storage they are OK.

if you need to use edit pukka MS office docs, do photo editing or work away from a web connection a lot, they are less good.

cp

didn’t know you could put linux on them. That’s very interesting!

allthepies
    Free Member

You can have ChromeOS and a Linux install co-existent and switchable via key press 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

They are actually not all that bad for photo editing. Of course they aren’t photoshop workstations, but they are better than a simple web terminal.

Pixlr supports layers for example. It’s a bit slow if you have a complex magic wand selection, but it’ll get you by for simple stuff and possibly more.

There are compromises, but when you consider they are not only the cheapest laptops but also probably the fastest to boot up and surf with, it’s worth looking at.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I love my Chromebook but I wouldn’t want it as my only device. It’s a great – cheap – device with long battery life that is more than adequate if, like me, you use Google Docs for “office” stuff and Spotify for music.

If you have even a passing interest in photo management and editing the low quality screen and lack of grunt will eventually annoy you. If money was no object I would have bought a Macbook Air. My Chromebook is a fifth of the price but arguably not a fifth of the usefulness.

bob_summers

Photo editing – IANAP but most people don’t need Photoshop power, I manage fine with the Picasa web tools for cropping, rescuing over exposed shots etc.

Linux works very well but try to use the special Bodhi spin rather than full blown Ubuntu etc, as it includes only the stuff required for the Intel chromebooks, keeping it lightweight and fast booting (and all the hardware buttons work out the box). It ships with the very minimum of software, so you’ll have to install whatever you need, but that’s probably best with only 16 or 32gb to play with. The Enlightenment desktop is not for everyone but there’s nothing stopping you adding whatever you prefer.

http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com.es/2014/01/howto-bodhi-linux-on-acer-c720.html

cp

You can have ChromeOS and a Linux install co-existent and switchable via key press

goddamit. now thinking one might be viable.

buck53

Slight hijack here, has anyone tried compiling videos on a Chromebook or know of editing apps? I’m not talking about a full on #sickeditbro, just compiling a few short video clips into one slightly longer clip?

miketually
    Free Member

A Chromebook probably isn’t an alternative to an £800 laptop, if that’s what you *need*, but it doesn’t sound like that is what you need.

I would quite happily have a Chromebook as my only home computer, and that’s what we’re probably going to get our daughter for Christmas. (Actually, 90% of the time, I’m quite happy with using my phone as my home computer. My laptop hardly ever gets switched on these days.)

andytherocketeer

tis a bit of effort getting the chroot on there (I chose ubuntu more for support than barebones), but it seems to work nicely.
    only issue I’ve had so far is serial driver for a fake arduino.

don’t intend to do anything heavy weight like video, image editting on that. just running the usual surfing stuff, some custom bits and bobs, and view photos only (I’ll edit them properly on big PC when home).

it’s certainly viable, but needs tinkering if you want it to be a full Laptop, and not a Netbook. But when you get useful change from £200, I’m not expecting it to be a full laptop, but somethign portable and not particularly slow.

miketually
    Free Member

I borrowed one from work for a couple of weeks. The instant-on and decent battery life were the best parts for me – made me much more likely to use it over my phone for couch-surfing.

cookeaa

Cad = Google something?

Autodesk 360 (and some of their other products I think) has been ported to Chrome?

although last time I played with it (on a tablet), it wasn’t quite as awesome as I’d hoped, and they wanted you to pay to get at most of the useful features…

Most of the other stuff you are fine for IMO…

ninfan
    Free Member

iPad/tablet and wireless keyboard?

nemesis
    Free Member

I love mine – silly cheap for a 14″ laptop that does almost everything that I’d want any more expensive one to do.

BUT

There are limitations and I wouldn’t want to be in a house without a ‘proper’ computer be that PC or Mac flavour for some things – eg I can’t update my satnav software/maps from my chromebook.

You can easily see how it’ll work for you – try just using your existing computer with a browser only because that’s what chromebooks are (though you can add to the 16Gb or so on board storage with SD cards, etc).

molgrips
    Free Member

try just using your existing computer with a browser only because that’s what chromebooks are

Mmm.. not quite. Some of the stuff you can install on Chromebook isn’t available for the normal Chrome browser, or doesn’t work in quite the same way. And vice versa, for that matter.

But generally yes, you can look in the Chrome store for an app you might need, or look for a replacement for something you currently use, and try it out on your current laptop in Chrome brwoser.

My wife used a specific app for writing, and it turns out there’s a similar one available in the Chrome store, so we knew we could switch.

nemesis
    Free Member

Yes of course but it’s near enough IME

PePPeR

I quite like the idea of one of these (far cheaper than the Surface Pro 3 I was looking at!

I don’t do much more than web browsing and a bit of photo editing, but occasionally I do need to create some presentations, are they any good for this, and what is the compatibility between power point and google docs like?

molgrips
    Free Member

Google docs will allow you to create presentations perfectly well (along with the rest of the office related stuff) although I ‘ve never really tested the compatibility. I’m sure someone on the internet has though.

surfer
    Free Member

I’ve got the Acer 720 and it is very good. I am surprised how little I use my proper laptop.
    The only downside to the Acer is it is a bit flimsy and mine developed a mark across the screen which looks like it has been made by the keyboard when the lid was shut.

bob_summers

Hah! yeah, mine too ^ from the space bar I think when jamming it into a rucksack. Not visible with the screen on though – I’ll take that over the damage I would have probably done to a MB Air by now 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

That happens to most laptops if you squash them, ime.

nickc

Downsides…No downloading spotify tracks,judge for yourself if you need premium. No Sykpe.

Apart from those two, it’s a perfectly adequate 14″ laptop.

Earl
    Free Member

Chromebook = toaster
    Laptop = oven

monkeychild
    Free Member

My PC hasn’t been switched on since getting a Chromebook a few months ago.
    It’s excellent, I use Google docs for uni work and stream to my Chromecast, Bluetooth Harman/kardon speakers and it’s ace for integration with my android phone.

nemesis
    Free Member

Chromebook = toaster
    Laptop = oven

Kind of. If we did take that though, extending the analogy, most people only make toast so an oven is overkill.

Stoner
    Free Member

I have 2 chromebooks and my colleagues and use chromebooks for all our work, although whenever anyone wants/needs to, the google business apps suite works seemlessly across any platform so one colleague uses his big Mac at home, and if I sit in my office I can use my W7PC. But most of the time Im using the chromebook in the kitchen like wot I’m doin’ now.

We produce all our business presentations and docs in google drive. They can be distributed to clients as pdfs directly from Google Drive. We can also export as conventional MS Office filetypes if we need to send editable copies (v, v rarely).

If we get sent editable docs (*.docx, *.ppt, *.xls etc) Google drive accepts them and displays them or can be asked to convert to google docs for editing.

I used to be an Excel “power-ish user” but I now do 99% of all my model work in google sheets sucessfully. There are two things I cant do on GSheets – Sensitivity tables (TABLE function) and Goalseek.

I also found a bit of a problem when GSheets was unable to use a MAX function on a range because of a perceived circularity even though Excel didnt have such an objection. All I had to do was modify the model a smidge to work around though.

My big PC still gets used as it is also our media server and PVR. If/When we move away from Windows Media Centre, I can see the chromebooks being our sole PCs in the house.

molgrips
    Free Member

A better analogy:

Chromebook = Mondeo
    Most laptops = Ferrari 458

nemesis
    Free Member

And it’s then using the car to go to the shops. Overkill for the 458

molgrips
    Free Member

Zackly

surfer
    Free Member

That happens to most laptops if you squash them, ime.

Not really as it was in a separate pouch alongside my full size laptop. The laptop is quite old (around 3 years but has lots of RAM and SSD so it performs well) and doesnt have a mark on it, I am a bit anal about looking after stuff so I would say that this is a bit of a design flaw by Acer.
    As above you cant see it with the screen on so I havent returned it.

chvck
    Free Member

I did NOT need to know that, I’ve been playing with the idea of getting one but ruling it out as coding would be a pita/not possible.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’ve been playing with the idea of getting one but ruling it out as coding would be a pita/not possible.

just shows how wrong you can be…
    Codeanywhere

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Gents sorry can I bring it back a sec to layman’s questions.

House laptop also nearly dead and only used for luddite purposes… family photo storage and itunes for the Mrs, she also uses word and excel once in a while. While I only use it for uploading my Garmin and for trainerroad/sufferfest.

So I’ve no doubt chromebook is the way to go right?

But how do I convince the Mrs that she will be able to do all the things she needs on it.

chvck
    Free Member

Can’t compile my erlang locally though can I! The terminal functionality makes that quite interesting though…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘chrome book viable laptop?’ is closed to new replies.