Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Christmas Whisky bargains.
  • Rockhopper
    Free Member

There used to be a thread where people posted the best prices they had seen in the various supermarkets. Anyone noticed any bargains this year? Whiskey is also allowed! (And I suppose gin, brandy etc etc).

chakaping
    Free Member

Got a bottle of Laphroaig 10 from Tesco for £26 the other day.

lister

£13 off basic Talisker tonight in Tesco.
    Many other offers but that was the biggest discount and my favourite one anyway.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    chewkw
    Free Member

£13 off basic Talisker tonight in Tesco.

Good call. I will check it out tomorrow as my stock is running low. 😀

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Anyone tried the 25 year old from Aldi?

medlow
    Free Member

I’ve no clue if it’s good, or flippin horrible.
    But I had some Japanese whiskey the other day while working in Budapest.
    It was prooper moreish! really rich in flavour. Over 50% so had to be careful.
    ‘Nikka Whiskey From the Barrel’ it was called. Well tasty.!

mrb123
    Free Member

Just watch Amazon all this week. They have daily deals which can be exceptional.

Talisker Skye was £21 yesterday.

johnners
    Free Member

There’s always the HUKD spreadsheet to fall back on – not wide coverage of the more uncommon malts but a great resource nonetheless.

I bought a bottle of Woodford Reserve for £20 in Tesco the other week. And as mrb123 says, the Amazon deals can be good but only worthwhile if you’ve Prime and are in a position to take delivery. They won’t deliver to a neighbour IME.

mrb123
    Free Member

Laphroiag Quarter Cask under 25 quid on Amazon today which is an absolute steal.

johnners
    Free Member

Laphroiag Quarter Cask under 25 quid on Amazon today which is an absolute steal.

It sure is – my favourite of the “cooking” Laphroiags!

ElShalimo

Do you only drink it whilst cooking?

Clink

Anyone know why Strathisla seems to be unavailable everywhere?

edhornby

not tried the 25yo from Aldi but the single malt varieties in the white tube are good. I’m not sure that the limited stock of top end stuff is actually worth it from Aldi as it’s independent wine shop price territory. better to go to a good indie.

jp-t853

jamesgarbett

Subscriber

Not tried it but the review below seems good for the price as you would expect

Aldi review

Lidl used to do a 25 year old blend that I loved, must have a look

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah, the one 25-year-old bottle I got from Lidl was unremarkable TBH.

The basic Islay single malts are good from there and Aldi but I won’t bother with the pricier ones myself.

somafunk

Balvenie Caribbean cask down to £42 on amazon at moment, good price for a very moreish whisky 🥃

jca

I tried to but she slapped me….

erictwinge
    Free Member

i bought a couple of single malts. 12 year Aberlour for £26 down from £38 and a Aberfeldy for £25 from £39. (amazon) no idea what theyre like but they look the business. presents for brothers…

so tempted to open one and order something else….

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Tesco had Auchentoshan American Oak for £20 – very light with a touch of vanilla. It’s lovely

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

..and OT but Tesco own brand dark rum (or Kraken) with Old Jamaica ginger beer and a slice of lime is pretty awesome for a christmas waste of time in front of the telly

mrb123
    Free Member

Glenfarclas 10 year old is just under 30 quid on Amazon today.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

15 year Glenfiddich 30 quid at Tesco

ivorlott
    Free Member

Few good deals in Tesco last night, most notable was Ardbeg 10 at £27, but decent discounts on Jura, Laphroaig and Highland Park too…

mrb123
    Free Member

£43 for Lagavulin 16 on Amazon today which is about as cheap as you’ll ever find it.

evilsovereign
    Free Member

only really do single malts, but here is my current fun list from tesco and asda, today.
    haig club (beckhams semen) £15 75cl, nice ,easy to drink.
    tamnavaulin £20 75cl, really nice
    Laphroag, £23 select or 10 yr.
    highland park £25

i’m not knowledgeable on many whiskeys,but i’ve started drinking them instead of beer.

Sandwich

Not a bargain but the Yamazaki single malt in Waitrose is very nice indeed.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Add to that monkeys shoulder was 23 quid In Asda.

I picked up a tamnavulin

mrb123
    Free Member

Haig Club is an abomination on the name of good Scotch whisky.

irc

My go to blend is Smoky Grouse A blend with a touch of pleated malt. Usually on offer at £14 or £15. For Scotland with the minimum price of £14 I can’t see past this for a cheap smoky blend.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Good shout on the Monkey Shoulder!

Aldi purple tin is nice enough, there was some lying about a place we rented in the summer. If it was a fair price I’d go for it. IIRC it’s from one of the better silent distillers.

ElShalimo

At Morrisons this afternoon:

Laphroaig 10yr £26

Old Pulteney £23

Highland Park £25

northernremedy

If you’re in to your single malts, and single cask tickles your fancy, I can get you a 20% discount on membership of the SMWS

Single malt, single cask from known distilleries but purchased on the basis of flavour. Age is no guarantee… Their bottles are excellent value.

If interested drop me a PM and I’ll send you the link

faerie
    Free Member

If you like an Old Fashioned cocktail Asda is selling JD Rye for £16ish a bottle and you can get Sazerac Rye online at House of Malt for £35 and a bit, they also sell Peychauds bitters. The Sazerac is a perfect winter warmer, the cocktail is lush… Especially if you swap out the sugar cube for a spoonful or two of honey.
    I’ve been having a glass in the evenings and it seems to be keeping the seasonal bugs at bay, that’s my excuse anyway 🤣

squirrelking
    Free Member

Picked up the Laphroaig 10yr old today, looking forward to Christmas Eve and finishing nights. 😀

Thinking of doing a variation on the 5 ferries next summer to Campbeltown and the islands. That could be expensive fun.

dantsw13

I’ve just picked up a Laphroaig Select for £23 from Sainsbury’s. Still an Islay, but not the full TCP edge of a 10yo.

shermer75
    Free Member

If you like an Old Fashioned cocktail Asda is selling JD Rye for £16ish a bottle 

I’m all about the old fashions! 🙂

faerie
    Free Member

I’m all about the old fashions!

So is santa, the kids insisted as the cats would drink the milk. I’ve only just discovered old fashioneds, I fear it’s just the beginning of a boozy new year 🤣 I’d like to try the brandy versions and the other cocktails it gave lead to, any you’d recommend?

infidel
    Free Member

Try making a Penicillin.

Non whiskey based – Last Word is my all time favourite cocktail

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Only bargain in my Christmas whisky selection was the Laphroaig- 23 quid from sainsbury’s.

null

faerie
    Free Member

Thanks, I’ll give the penicillin a sip. Have you tried a whisky mac? Especially nice with a bottle of Crabbies ginger wine. The Last Word sounds interesting, I like gin too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Christmas Whisky bargains.’ is closed to new replies.