Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Christmas tree dying – any ideas?
  • RustySpanner

Help!

Bought a Christmas tree with a root ball.
    Did all the things it should, looked nice, climbable by cat etc…..

Planted the workshy little bugger in a decent sized pot, in some very expensive dirt, watered the bleeding thing regularly but it’s slowly going brown at the edges.

Tried threatening it, moved it into a more open place, nice view of the Pennines, but the lazy, feckless, coniferous little sod refuses to thrive.

The last one lasted for four years, no idea what we’ve done to annoy this one.

Any tips?

weeksy

hug it and sprinkle with fairy dust ?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Buy another one from Asda next year?

fasthaggis

Maybe it’s pining for something ?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Pot bound? Dont pines prefer an acidic soil, so perhaps it needs ericacious (sp?) compost? Does it need feeding?

RobHilton
    Free Member

A tree is just for Christmas

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Was it a proper root ball or just a chopped back one – we went to buy one last year but a friend, who is an arborealist, said that they more frequently damage the roots, and chop them off too close, as it’s quicker and cheaper to present a partial root ball than remove it properly. If it’s this then you are probably knackered, or rather the tree is.

timbur
    Free Member

Bet the cat wee’d on it.
    That’ll kill most things.
    😈

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Petrol?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Green Spray paint? Might spruce it up a bit.

steve-g
    Free Member

I worked in a bonsai tree shop in a previous life, I guess some things are probably transfereable to this situation.

What soil did you plant it in? We used to use John Innes no.2, if you have used something else maybe there are too many nutrients or whatever in there and it is burning the tips of the roots, hence the browning of the leaves sort of mirroring whats going on under the ground.

Dont feed it, you never feed them when they are struggling at all, and brown tip on the leaves almost always used to mean over feeding

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I would find this problem quite needling had I purchased that tree.

TPTcruiser

Is it a Norwegian spruce? Not really dead then is it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Christmas tree dying – any ideas?’ is closed to new replies.