• This topic has 2,564 replies, 264 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by Merak.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,201 through 1,240 (of 2,565 total)
  • Tamiya and other R/C vehicles (not just for Christmas)
  • clubby

Smoke and working BB gun! Neighbourhood cats better watch out.

Harry_the_Spider

Seriously thinking of getting a Sherman and a Tiger so that me and The Boy can have battles in the woods behind the house, but they are bloody enormous.

If I had a garage to keep them in they would be in the post right now!

beamers

RC Tank you say.

I’ve had a hankering for one of these for some time:

Tamiya 1/16 Tank Tiger I

The only working King Tiger tank in the world is on display at the Saumur Tank Museum in France. Since the Tiger I used basically the same type of Maybach power plant, some Tamiya staff members made their way to France to investigate. They recorded all the sounds of the real tank including; battery start-up, crank start-up, flywheel sound, etc. All the sounds of the enormous V-12 700hp engine have been clearly recorded and are waiting for you in Tamiya’s 1/16 RC Tiger I kit.

Sounds marvellous.

Bullet

Sussed out how to post a video of my Rival MT10

cb

Could anybody that has built a Lunchbox please assist?

Just started building this with the offspring today and only just got to the body mounts. There’s only three chrome ones on the plastic sheet holder thing – it looks like one’s missing!

Can anybody confirm this please or will there be another one in another colour to be found somewhere? We think we’ve checked everywhere!!

It was in a sealed plastic wrapper as well so no way its been lost by us. Howes Models very helpfully wouldn’t answer the phones and have now switched on the answer machine…

MrOvershoot

Some great Rooster tails there Bullet 🙂

reluctantjumper

All the body mounts were silver on mine, can’t remember if they were all on the same mould or not. Does sound like one of yours is missing. You can carry on with the build without one though, the body will still stay on correctly.

Been making good progress with the Lancia over the last few evenings. Got the shell painted and the windows tinted:
    20200704-155612

While that was drying I started work on the grille and front lights. Just a bit of matte paint and a really intricate sticker!
    20200704-145813private image hosting

Really pleased with how that turned out! The red piping is made up of 4 separate stickers all no more than 3/4mm wide, incredibly hard to line up correctly. Most ones I’ve seen online didn’t bother with it but I like a challenge! Looks the dogs when on the shell IMO:
    20200704-200610

Have had one issue though. My technique for applying the stickers over multiple curves is a very rusty!
    20200704-200703

Tried the old technique of using heat to stretch and shrink the stickers but they just went back to their original shape. Only done one side so far so if anyone has any tips on how to get it right I’m all ears for the other side. I can always buy a new sticker set and redo it or just remove them and run it as an unsponsored car instead. It’s a runner not a show shell so might just use it as-is and let it get some character to it.

BearBack
    Free Member

Mad Bull owners.. is anyone else having issues going through rear wheels?
    We’ve cracked 3 at the hex hub/nut.

wardee
    Free Member

Have you lost and replaced the standard kit wheel nuts?

The standard tamiya nuts are flanged nuts so have an inbuilt washer.

If you use normal nyloc nuts instead, Ttey work fine but need to be used with a seperate washer to avoid cracking.

Merak

@reluctantjumper

I apply them wet (washing up liquid and water in a spray gun) then use a heat gun to stick them down.

No shrinkage or creases.

VanHalen

haha – have just got a 7.4v 2s lipo for the Mad bull – holy crap! that’s definitely more fun! haha!

wonder how long the motor/gearbox will last!

reluctantjumper

@Merak – I’ll try the other side wet, went dry first time as I used to get neater results that way. I’ve also picked up a cheap new heat gun as mine’s very old and doesn’t seem to be very hot.

If I get it right I’ll get another shell and sticker set, redo the left side and build the other shell up as a privateer car. (I think you can say the bug has bitten again).

RustySpanner

cb, if you can, try and get some ally body mounts.
    The plastic ones are a terrible design and break very easily.
    If you can’t, drop me a line, I’ve a full set of the plastic ones you can have.

Nearly finished the 2CV chassis.
    Had nothing to make the holes in the body and needed some paint and masking tape.
    £70 later and a care package should arrive this week!

Thinking box art for the Charleston and bright orange for the rally car.

Bring it on!

RustySpanner

Merak, could I ask which paint you used for the roof and wheels/front bumper of your 2CV build?

As above, probably Tamiya bright orange for the shell, reminds me of a stock 2CV colour, but all the black roofs I seen so far look too shiny.

I’ve ordered some basic white too as a second option, lets see how it goes………🙂

cb

Cheers Rusty, shop replied this morning asking for a photo so will see what they come up with. Will take you up on those though if no joy. I saw the ally ones online actually and have ordered a set (said Mr No Upgrade) but delivery will take a while.

Merak

@RustySpanner

Grey is royal light grey TS-81

Orange is pure orange PS-62

Look forward to seeing your Citroens!

RustySpanner

Thank you!

An interesting build, the 2CV.
    Much more complex in terms of skills and processes involved than the TT02B.

My third Tamiya after the buggy and the Lunchbox, but it won’t be the last.
    Have my eyes on some sort of Beetle next, or possibly an F1 car….

….good grief.🙂

clubby

Decided to remove the brushless combo from my buggy and go back to the torque tuned motor.
    Originally went brushless to clear the doubles at the bmx track. Unfortunately, while I now have the speed I now have very little control on the direction the car is pointing. Have been persevering for the last month and have cleared them a few times but more often than not have spun off the side when trying to put power down. Now also have a cracked chassis nose and thanks to a poorly placed tree, a snapped front axle. Think the fact I was using a spaced out blitzer axle didn’t help.
    Time to rebuild to stock.

Now means I’ve a hot motor looking for a chassis that’ll handle it 🙂

reluctantjumper

Finished the Lancia:

Looks properly good when on the chassis:

The stickers aren’t perfect but perfectly adequate for a runner shell. So on that note I had to get it christened:

Looks even better when it’s all dusty!

Already got a list of mods I want to do to it. The rear shell supports wobble about so will look at bracing those, the chassis collects any gravel the wheels kick up which then gets into the steering and driveshaft areas and the suspension could do with oil dampers. Once that is all done I’ll look into fitting a stronger motor and changing the gearing.

This is going to be fun!

RustySpanner

Looks lush.
    Power slides? 🙂

We’ve not heard from Harry for a few days….do you think his wife has read the thread?

Harry_the_Spider

I’m still here… looking at the Lancia and making plans.

reluctantjumper

Oh yes, it power slides! On tarmac you have to provoke it a bit but on anything remotely dusty it gets a bit tail-happy.

On the dust it does full-on doughnuts pivoting on the inside front wheel very nicely. It’s a lot of fun!

RustySpanner

I think we probably have enough cars now for a ST-WRC, if Merak has kept any of his 🙂

clubby

That Lancia looks great. Looked at the xv01 version but it went out of stock overnight during the week. Would be a good home for my orphaned brushless motor.

AdamT

I do NOT need a £60 RC plane

(Wish I hadn’t seen that)

RustySpanner

Oh god……..

minley1
    Free Member

That Corsair is brilliant, do not need…..do not need!

Harry_the_Spider

They do a Mustang too, Just sayin’.

RustySpanner

🙂

Not going down that particular avenue of pain, expense and misery.

It’d start with a £60 Mustang and end with a lifesize Short Sunderland exploding over Rooley Lake.

Harry_the_Spider

Are we going to have a socially distanced get together then?

May I suggest Philips Park Whitefield? Me and the lad have just had a good “raz” in there this afternoon and it would be an ideal venue. Gravel, grass, piles of dirt and wood chippings and even a concrete jump.

RustySpanner

Sounds good to me.

I’m working next weekend but off the weekend after? Not seen the Prestwich based grandkids for months but have now been given permission to visit by the daughter, so will be down that way.

Looking forward to it!

Harry_the_Spider

OK. 2 Weeks today.

Anyone else?

Merak

I’ll be with you in spirit. I’m in Glasgow.😃

Sold all my shells. Still have my 2CV. Have a Subaru S-12 I’m working on if I can ever get the paint for it..

Lancia looks great.👌

Bullet

Well, I’m south of Bedford and got a monster truck (Rival MT10) so a bit far from me but a nice idea for a get-together – have fun.

reluctantjumper

Are we going to have a socially distanced get together then?

May I suggest Philips Park Whitefield? Me and the lad have just had a good “raz” in there this afternoon and it would be an ideal venue. Gravel, grass, piles of dirt and wood chippings and even a concrete jump.

Just checked and it would be a 3 1/2 hr drive for me so will have to give it a miss I’m afraid. A pity as chasing another car or three around is always more fun than just razzing round the local park/trading estate on your own.

diz

Would love to join you but I’m on an AM shift and could only get there for about 15-30, what time are you planning on getting there and how close to residential housing is it to run petrol 1/5 scale cars?

minley1
    Free Member

Would be good fun, but a 7hr round trip rules it out!

Harry_the_Spider

how close to residential housing is it to run petrol 1/5 scale cars?

It is quite a busy public park. Not sure how that would go down with the sunbathers and families with kids. Me and my lad attracted a few tiny spectators as we were razzing about and doing the jumps.

Harry_the_Spider

My Mad Bull has just lost drive. Won’t be able to make the “play date” until it is fixed. 🙁

Spline has stripped out of one of the hubs.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,201 through 1,240 (of 2,565 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.