Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Christmas Present BSO repair
  • Premier Icon stumpyjon

Just had a neighbour around asking if I could set the gears up on his son’s new mountain bike. BSO bought on line from Very. I knew it wasn’t going to be that simple. First issue was picking it up, wow I didn’t realise a bike could weight that much. Anyway got it in the stand, gear hanger which is part of the rear frame is bent close to 45 degrees with similar distortion to the rear mech. Took the mech off, straightened the frame best I could with some mole grips, took the mech apart, still attached to cables, got that sort of straight, put it all back together. Seemed to be working, at least the chain now shifts to all the sprockets. Cheap gripshift shifters, had to use a cloth to get enough grip to turn them. He went away happy so hopefully a point in the Karma bank. It must be he’ll in a bike shop at this time year being asked to sort these things out.

Premier Icon z1ppy
    Free Member

Nice collection of karma points but TBH you’ve shot yourself in the foot, as they’ll be back. Should have told them to send it back, and avoided more future pain & pointed them towards something/anything better…

Premier Icon Bez

Ah, welcome to the world of being That Bloke Down The Road Who Fixes Bikes… Rest assured it’ll only get worse once they’ve abused/neglected it for a few months 🙂

Premier Icon Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I plan to earn pocket money in my retirement being ‘that bloke down the road that fixes bikes’!

Premier Icon trail_rat
    Free Member

At that point you’ll realise that it’s wisest to turn those sorts of bikes away.

They go in the shed when they get back and get pulled out in 6 months when nothing works and that’ll be your fault.

Premier Icon trumpton
    Free Member

I would have just returned it as a warranty item if it’s new.

Premier Icon stumpyjon

I did say it should go back and bending the frame straight would weaken it but he wanted it sorted as his son hadn’t been able to ride it since he got it. I already have the reputation as the guy who rides and fixes bikes earned awhile ago when I used to ride and fix bikes.

Premier Icon oldfart

Sounds familiar 🙄 someone I used to work with bought a full Suss monstrosity for about £70 🙄 He asked me if I could just “check it over” before he rode it. I tried to get out of it but gave in as he only lived round the corner thought half an hour tops 🙄
    Course it didn’t have any Allen bolts just nuts, he said it came with a spanner. Turned out to be one of those made out of metal plate, as I nipped up the wheel nuts the spanner folded in half! 🙄 Anyway about an hour later I’d done as much Turd polishing as I could tried to persuade him it probably wasn’t that safe to ride. He said before you go I told you I would make it worth your while. He presented me with a can of Strongbow!!!! I didn’t know whether to laugh, cry or chuck it at him! 🙄🙄🙄🙄

Premier Icon Poopscoop

Same scenario as when word gets around you can sort out PC’s, you become free tech support for life.

In reality though they are usually less hassle than sorting out some of the utter nightmares that profess to be bicycles.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Free Member

I do this role in our street. The lads are now old enough to have decent entry level MTBs but they keep coming to me and asking if I can make the forks softer. No, cos it’s an adult size bike with a medium spring in the Suntour coil fork and you weigh about 40kg.

I quite like fixing or attempting to fix the sundry junk in the form of BSOs or cheap scooter/HPV type contraptions.

Premier Icon reluctantjumper

I’ve been ‘The Bike Oracle’ in the minds of most of my family and non-biking friends for decades now. Thankfully I’ve managed to get most of them to ask me what bike is a bargain or crap before they buy it for their kids now after one friend bought 3 Dunlop bikes for his kids. He turned up 3 days before Christmas at mine with nibbles and drinks ready for an evening build session only for none of the bikes to be useable out of the box. Bent wheels, gears that couldn’t be indexed (cable routing making it impossible) and the usual general shoddy parts meant I had to break it to him they were only good for scrap. Cue a hasty dash to the nearest Halfords for 3 Carreras and to return the useless ones to Sports Direct. Cost him over double what he planned but I helped him out on that front as he’d had a tough year with redundancy and illness.

My friends now know to ask what brands to buy now if they want me to build it for them. Hence why this year I built and checked an Islabike, two Carreras, a Trek and a Frog. The kids love having something decent to ride too so everyone’s happy.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.