Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Christmas Port.
  • Kryton57

Ok, so what’s good this year?  Last year was a Taylor’s 10yo Tawny which I liked a lot, but this year Sainsbury’s have an offer on Graham’s Malvados Vintage.  Worth pushing the boat out?

Drac

Aldi Maynard’s 30 year old port.

frankconway

Warres 1983.

juanking

See Aldi have their 40 year old port this year for £35, bargain. I’m treating myself to another Kopke Colheita 1979 because I’ve been a good boy.

Drac

It’s amazing stuff Juan.

Ooops! Yes 40 year old.

lunge

3rd the Aldi/Maynard 40 year I’d you can get it, it’s bloody lovely.
    We’ve got a very nice Calum Colheita as well which is even better but for the money, the Aldi stuff is top class.

ransos
    Free Member

Which kind of port do you prefer? Tawny tastes quite different to vintage, for instance.

Kryton57

Either for me.  I’ve gone extravagant and whilst ordering A Taylors 10 Tawny, have sent Mrs K via Aldi today.

Drac

Hahaha! Nice one Kryton.

csb

Warres Quinta da Cavadinha 1987 that needs drinking. Plus a Maynards pink porto from aldi that is a nice aperetif.

jimdubleyou

If you’re drinking an older vintage it needs to be finished in 24-48 hours otherwise is starts to lose its character.

You can generally leave a tawny or younger port for 4-6 weeks before you notice it going off if.

This usually means we stick to buying tawny unless it’s for a special occasion and I know it will be drunk.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Kopke Colheita 1979

I’ll do something similar, always go for a Colheita as all the ageing is done by by the house/shipper as it’s bottled ready to drink and it will drink well for more than 48hours after opening.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Christmas Port.’ is closed to new replies.