Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Christmas lunch – what is actually worth preparing the day before?
  • Premier Icon timmys

I’m up for doing a bit of prep for tomorrows Christmas lunch today, but I’m struggling to work out what I can actually usefully do. I seem to recall having a previous disaster with potatoes (can’t remember if I just peeled them or also par-boiled them, but pretty sure I had to scrap them and start again).

Menu;
    Big ass chicken
    Pigs in blankets
    Roast Spuds
    Bread Sauce
    Sprouts (+ lardons/chestnuts)
    maybe Yorkshire puds

Apart from preparing the sprouts and maybe making the bread sauce I’m drawing a bit of blank. Tip?

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

parboil and lighly do the roast tatties, and just prep everything else to go in oven at saet times. Easy.

Premier Icon jimdubleyou

I assume you’re not feeding 15+ people this year, no reason that stuff can’t be done in the morning, shouldn’t take long and I can’t think of anything that’s better done the day before.

And sprouts are your only vegetable? Heathen*

*I will also accept heathen status as I don’t like bread sauce 🙂

Premier Icon lunge

The important thing for me is to have a list of when things need to go in and come out. Makes life much easier.
    As for prep, as you’ve done but also par-boil the spuds and make the bread sauce.
    I’d also make your batter for the Yorkshires.

Basically do as much as you can to make the day itself as easy as possible.

Premier Icon Kryton57

Put the beer in the fridge, ready for 11am tomorrow.

Premier Icon TheFlyingOx

If you’re asking about sprouts today you’ve already missed the boat. They should have gone on this time last week. Saturday night at the absolute latest.

Everything else can be done on the day but I’d prep the potatoes now. Peel, chop and parboil – start them in cold water and then only 4-5 minutes from when it starts to boil – then drain and give them a good rustling to fluff up the outsides. Put on a paper-lined baking tray, handful of kosher salt flakes and then drizzle with oil/melted goose fat. Let all that soak in overnight and then just put in the oven when ready. Best roast tatties ever.

Premier Icon anagallis_arvensis

no reason that stuff can’t be done in the morning

Er, christmas bike ride?

Premier Icon n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Get the frying pan ready for frying the sprouts for ~5mins.

Premier Icon joshvegas
    Free Member

Let all that soak in overnight and then just put in the oven when ready. Best roast tatties ever.

I’m going to disagree. Roast potatoes should go in the oven hot from the parboil.

Premier Icon bear-uk
    Free Member

Put the sprouts on now and boil them to a mushy mess just like my dear old mum used to do 😂

Premier Icon timmys

Thanks for the tips.

Trim sprouts and make yorkie batter is probably as far as I will go. Need some excuse tomorrow to escape the children/present carnage into the warm embrace of the Adam Buxton audio book in the kitchen.

And sprouts are your only vegetable? Heathen

Bowls and bowls of unnecessary different veggies, for me, is the defining feature of the badly-cooked old person roast aka. the sad grey carvery experience. I’m from the do one thing and do it properly school of thought.

Put on a paper-lined baking tray, handful of kosher salt flakes and then drizzle with oil/melted goose fat. Let all that soak in overnight and then just put in the oven when ready. Best roast tatties ever.

I’m a big a fan of animal fats as anyone, but straight into hot fat to get crisp outsides and fluffy steamed insides is the only way surely. The whole point is to not let the fat soak in. That sounds, errr, less than optimum.

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

I’m having a bash at making this posh gravy today so can possibly relax tomorrow when stressing over roasties, thereby giving me half a chance to not overboil them. Might prep sprouts tonight when possibly spannered. Blunt knife prepared in readiness.

Love gravy

Premier Icon pothead
    Free Member

Yorkshire pud batter, always seem to turn out better when I’ve made it and left in the fridge overnight. And before anyone says it they definitely have a place on Xmas dinner

Premier Icon fazzini

Put the beer in the fridge, ready for 8am tomorrow. FTFY

Premier Icon kelvin

Roast potatoes should go in the oven hot from the parboil.

Disagree strongly. Cold into hot fat helps with the texture, a lot. Parboiled straight from the fridge into the preheated almost smoking goose or duck fat.

Anyway, as we have a veggie now, I’ve ruined Xmas by going for frozen… sacrilege! One bag is cooked in duck fat… the other veg fat… it’s wrong, but it’s easy.

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

Anyway, as we have a veggie now, I’ve ruined Xmas by going for frozen

Easyfying Xmas dinner is wrong whether meatie or veggie. Being a veggie is not wrong. The big messages you are giving here are:

– ‘The vegetarian’* ruined our Xmas
    – Those who refrain from eating animals products don’t deserve nice Xmas veg like wot us meatatarians do.
    – Because of the vegetarian we must all now suffer
    – Baby Jesus still loves vegetarians, but we are simple fallen Children Of God and so we not only punish The Other, but we also punish ourselves because, again, we are simple fallen Children Of God. So here are 12 lashes for the sinner, and another 12 for the whip-bearer/s. Sing Hail Mary. Hic.

*But it was you who decided on frozen/decided not to simply cook the veg roasts in a foil tray next to the others 😉

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve always done my roasties in olive oil, and pre cooked them the day before, then finished them off on the day. If it’d good enough for thrice cooked chips….

Premier Icon zilog6128

Wake up sheeple. You’ve all been bamboozled by Delia, Big Water and all the other lizard overlords. Roasties do NOT need to be boiled, par or otherwise, just stick them in the oven 20 minutes earlier and have another glass of wine instead of pissing about with them 🤣

Premier Icon akira

Trifle getting done today, well the jelly/fruit base.

Premier Icon Cougar

I’m having a bash at making this posh gravy today

If like me you can’t be arsed to watch him “quickly” explain how to make gravy in a 7+ minute video, you can read the recipe in seconds here.

Sounds like a lot of faff, my red onion gravy is a lot easier.

Premier Icon boombang

Put the beer in the fridge, ready for 8am tomorrow. FTFY

Is the for when the champagne/prosecco/cider/meths has run out? (delete as appropriate to cause least offence)

Premier Icon TheFlyingOx

That sounds, errr, less than optimum.

I can only go on my experience, and doing them the way I mentioned they turn out delicious. Almost caramelised round the outside. Found out pretty much by accident, I was going to put them in the oven as soon as they were drizzled with oil but got waylaid. And by waylaid I mean forgotten. 6-7 hours later they went in and they were ridiculously good.

Premier Icon eddiebaby

Re: veggies.
    Barbera is veggie. If we went to someone’s for Christmas she takes her own main thing be it a mushroom based main or even the cliched nutroast and then prepares a simple gravy to be cooked finally before the meal. If the roasties are cooked in goose fat she’ll just take frozen ones and throw them the oven was needed. What is the problem?

Premier Icon DrP

I’ve vacuum sealed my beef ready for the sous vide tomorrow am…
    Gammon sat in coke in the fridge too…

That’s it for today…

DrP

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

Sounds like a lot of faff, my red onion gravy is a lot easier.

One faff is another’s fun.

Also, was given a box and a minikeg of local ale totalling 27 pints which now sit in the cellar (which is handily a step from the kitchen). The long and zenful process of cooking gravy, R6 on the squawker, and beer on tap – all keeps me company for the long haul. Horse and courses. Will try your red onion gravy for the New Year! This arvo is mine all mine, and the longer it takes the betterer. 🥳

(It better had taste otherworldly-amazing, else I’m unsubscribing 😉)

What is the problem?

As long as Barbara prepares/buys/carries her own food everywhere, no problem. Good veggie.

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

Cougar, you should try this. It’s flipping amazing. Took me less than a hour though so a bit miffed couldn’t have been longer and had to go and fix the boiler instead 🤣🍺

Followed recipe to the letter except for rosemary (not a fan)

3 massive garlic bulbs cloves so maybe more of that than in recipe depends really. Was easy to make.

Taste-tested with Mrs P/resident vegan before putting pan under lock and key til tomorrow. Her short review (as witnessed):

Oh my GOD I want to eat it all. From a bowl. It’s quite like oxtail soup from what I remember

Great success! Thanks Gaz Oakley/avantgardevegan

Premier Icon TiRed

Sprouts should be deep fat fried. It’s an American thing. Had them in February. You won’t identify them as sprouts, and they are a million calories, but deep fried.

This year, not doing anything for the four of us. Normally I might prep the hard veg and par boil the roast potatoes. Will have. A short ride tomorrow. First road ride since February.

Premier Icon fazzini

Is the for when the champagne/prosecco/cider/meths has run out? (delete as appropriate to cause least offence)

No. Only if we were partying would we be having meths. But parties are banned. Covid innit 🤣🤣 🤣

Premier Icon fossy

I made tomatoe soup this morning. Creme Fraiche goes in just before serving tomorrow.

Premier Icon myti
    Free Member

Well that’s funny you’re having exactly the same dinner we are. Probably a bit late to reply now but all I’ve done is make a garlicky, herby, zesty butter and inserted it under the chicken skin over the legs and breasts to infuse overnight and make the dessert (Jamie’s Christmas crumble) i was going to do the bread sauce as it keeps well but couldn’t be arsed so will do that and pigs in blankets in the morning.

Premier Icon ajantom

I’m currently cooking my red cabbage…cooked for 3 hours at 125c. Then reheated for a couple tomorrow.

Half a red cabbage, cooking apple, onion, garlic, spices, sugar, salt and pepper, veg stock, lemon juice and cider vinegar.

Yum 😋

Premier Icon johndoh
    Free Member

Bowls and bowls of unnecessary different veggies, for me, is the defining feature of the badly-cooked old person roast

braised red cabbage, leek cooked in double cream and sprouts here – all prepped today. Tatties prepped and ready for par-boiling then roasting tomorrow. I forgot to do the pudding mix but that won’t take long in the morning.

Premier Icon Cougar

Cougar, you should try this. It’s flipping amazing.

Wassat then? Looks good, did I miss the recipe somewhere?

(I’ve fixed your post as requested BTW)

Premier Icon slowoldman

Sprouts should be deep fat fried. It’s an American thing.

Sounds Scottish.

Bowls and bowls of unnecessary different veggies, for me, is the defining feature of the badly-cooked old person roast

Chez nous there will be red and green cabbage, sprouts, carrots, cauliflower, celeriac mash, roast spuds and Yorkshires to accompany the very well cooked (though not in the overcooked sense, it will indeed be recognisable as a once sentient animal) old person rib of beef.

Premier Icon thecaptain
    Free Member

Brandy butter is all I’ve done so far. I usually make prawn cocktail sauce, sometimes bread sauce too but this year can’t be bothered (packet for the latter). There’s plenty of time to prep the veg after the bird goes in the oven, it’s something to do while it’s starting to roast.

Given that the oven thermostat has literally just failed today I’ll be tied to the oven anyway turning it on and off. Lucky I found out tonight!

Premier Icon Cougar

Oh, right, sorry, yes, the gravy. I thought it was soup, I hadn’t read properly. Might give it a punt at some point, cheers.

My recipe is still on paper so is seemingly still a Beta product. I’ll do a batch tonight / tomrrow and report back.

Premier Icon Cougar

One faff is another’s fun.

Oh, absolutely. I like cooking more than I like eating TBH.

Gammon sat in coke

Probably voted Leave.

I made tomatoe soup this morning. Creme Fraiche goes in just before serving tomorrow.

Care to share your recipe? I’m on a quest for the ultimate tomato soup.

I once made an exact replica of Heinz tomato soup and was properly chuffed for about 30 seconds until it dawned on me that I could have just bought a tin and saved like three hours and ten quid.

Premier Icon scuttler

Enjoy your ride TiRed

Premier Icon RichPenny
    Free Member

Gammon sat in coke in the fridge too…

Boris or Gove?

Premier Icon p7eaven
    Free Member

Thanks @Cougar, yeh post it up when you can pls, I look fwd to trying with sossies and mash. Some great tips in this thread.

Have a good one all 🍺🍺🥳

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.