Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Christmas dinner – turkey or goose or …?
  • grtdkad

Suggested to the family that I may order a goose from the butchers rather than a turkey. Just for a change.

Was met with blank looks and suggestions that that would be a mistake. I’ve actually never had goose so have no experience with taste etc when compared to a turkey.

Any thoughts re taste comparison, prep etc?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Beef Rib on the bone. Had 5 ribs once and it looked real impressive but tasted better.

Militant_biker

I found that the goose we ordered wouldn’t fit in our oven with it’s legs attached, because it was long and thin. Turkey being plumper fits in small ovens better!

The goose tasted wonderful, and the drained fat* does make great roast tatties, but there wasn’t a whole lot left over.

*You MUST remember to allow the fat to drain out…

spokebloke
    Free Member

We’ve had a cockerel for the last few years and they’ve been great.
    Also great for baudy jokes.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

We’ve had goose before from the farm shop up the road. Expensive & really, really, fatty – had to change the drip pan under it infact & only just fitted in the oven. It tasted ok, but only ‘ok’, considering the cost.

We’ll be having a good cut of beef, done in the slow-cooker.

TiRed

Goose every time, cook slowly, get the fat out and use some for roast potatoes. Flavour is stronger than turkey, meat is darker, but more moist. There won’t be much left over as they do shrink as the fat drains.

Cooking requires patience as you will get a lot of fat – that doesn’t set when bird seed is added 😳

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

We did goose a couple of years ago, lovely. More flavor than a turkey, smashing tatties, but less sarnies on boxing day.

aP
    Free Member

Nut roast.

Drac

Sirloin

Free Range Chicken

Ham

That’s what I’ll be doing.

samuri
    Free Member

As above. I don’t know what geese eat but they must have a bad time when they go for their annual medical checkups. The amount of fat in one of those things is insane! I reckon a goose loses half it’s weight in fat as you cook it.

Wouldn’t cook one again. Fat bastards.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Anything but turkey!! It’s bland dry and useless. Turkey is available all year round but you wouldn’t buy it because it’s a terrible bird to eat. So why eat it at christmas?

Goose, Beef, Venison, Boar, Duck, ANYTHING BUT TURKEY!!!!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Oxfam

wateraid

Thats my Christmas lunch. On the 25th I will only eat two meals – breakfast and my evening meal. Many folk will scratch to get a meal that day same as any other day.

The spirit of Christmas

For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
    Matthew 25:35

For there will never cease to be poor in the land. Therefore I command you, ‘You shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor, in your land.’
    —Deuteronomy 15:11

You want to celebrate Christ then remember his teachings.
    Its pious bollox and should be treated as such. However there is a certain truth in it and please stop to think. Just cut back on the excess a little and put that money to good use

aracer
    Free Member

You want to celebrate Christ then remember his teachings.

Trolling again TJ?

Drac

I’m celebrating the winter solstice.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Only partly so aracer. I believe folk having the big feast on the 25th is gross hypocrisy. I will not and have not done for decades. I will put the money I would have spent on a feast to charities for the hungry and thirsty and suggest others should do so.

If you claim to be Christian and to be celebrating Christ then follow his teachings.

Proverbs 22:9
    A generous man will himself be blessed, for he shares his food with the poor.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

I’m celebrating the winter solstice.

On the 21st?

Drac

Well JC birthday ain’t the 25th.

molgrips
    Free Member

Anything but turkey!! It’s bland dry and useless. Turkey is available all year round but you wouldn’t buy it because it’s a terrible bird to eat. So why eat it at christmas?

I really like turkey, and eat it at other times of the year. And it’s not at all dry if done right.

TJ – are you aware that Christmas is a thinly disguised winter festival? As such I reserve my right to celebrate it along with many other cultures, Christian or otherwise, without taking the pee. And I give to charity year round too 🙂

joolsburger
    Free Member

Naranjada
    Free Member

TJ, I applaud your generous, caring spirit.

uplink
    Free Member

Anything but turkey!! It’s bland dry and useless

As above, get out of the kitchen & leave it to a competent cook

For us [14 of us] – it’ll be Chicken, Fore-rib of beef & ham this year

KT1973
    Free Member

One year I cooked venison, pheasant and grouse. I tried to use all indigenous ingredients (apart from potatoes) and it was very nice. Grouse can be pretty gamey though

Macavity
    Free Member

How big is the family?
    Turkeys are popular, possibly, because they are bigger and therefore better for bigger families.

stayhigh

We had goose every couple of months when I was growing up up my grandparents had a flock of them on their nursery. I remember having to help plucking them which was particularly enjoyable given that they used to chase me everywhere the buggers.

Last year we had venison and pheasant which was very nice, the combined stock of both mixed with some redcurrant jelly, bay leaves and rosemary made some fantstic gravy. We served it with homemade chesnut stuffing and lots of veg.

This year were having a turkey, chicken, pheasant bird in a bird in a bird which should be interesting. As should fitting 6 people round our tiny table.

boblo
    Free Member

^^^^ 5 ribs of beef? I hope that’s not all for you fatty! 🙂

We usually have goose as I find turkey a bit nondescript. As has been said, they can need a bigger oven than similar weight turkey and carry some fat. However, the taste, the taste!! It’s also more traditional over here rather than that nasty Yankee affectation…

My other choices would be a whole beef fillet (chateaubriand) which is fantastic or WCA’s rib which is my fav cut of beef.

Don’t care for TJ’s politicking, the whole xmas thing leaves me cold. I just enjoy the time off work.

jools182
    Free Member

Had goose when I was in Germany at my ex’s parents. Really liked it, much better than turkey.

smiffy

We had goose every couple of months

Possible with almost any domestic fowl other than goose!

crazy-legs

Always venison or pheasant for us.
    Turkey is so bland. I think we were put off it from an early age cos my grandparents used to get a massive turkey from the farm up the road. We’d always go to theirs for Christmas (my Mum would usually do the cooking) but we’d be eating this bloody turkey for the next 10 days, every other meal was turkey sandwiches.

ericemel
    Free Member

I had deep fried turkey (yes whole) in the states once.

I do like to have goose here esp as I actually dislike turkey. But if you can get it Denhay Gammon is the BEST!

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Anything but turkey!! It’s bland dry and useless

Absolute rubbish generalisation. If you get a cheap frozen battery turkey from the supermarket it will be totally tasteless like any other cheap, frozen, high intensity farmed meat from the supermarket. If you go to a local producer, butcher or deli that does Norfolk Bronze or Norfolk Black free range, non frozen bird it is a totally different experience. Lots of taste, firm juicy and will still be producing sarnies etc for a week.

Cock is even better, and goose is good but as said above, very fatty and pretty small

oldgit
    Free Member

Goose is very nice, but doesn’t go far. Second for me would be a few Pheasants then Turkey.

aP…..nut roast LOL, to eat or something you like to do?

willard

GOOOOOOOOSE!

If you have an oven that it will fit in, go for it. Far better taste than turkey and you get all that lovely fat for roasties later in the year too (we still have some from last Christmas)

cinnamon_girl

Just cut back on the excess a little and put that money to good use

I admire you TJ for doing this. More people need to step back from excess and not be afraid of the inevitable flak from family.

uplink
    Free Member

Just cut back on the excess a little and put that money to good use

I consider a good feast once a year for all the family far from excessive
    It gives the whole family the opportunity to gather in one place to meet up again

molgrips
    Free Member

I had some venison in the hotel which was absolutely outstanding. It looked like a fillet of beef ie slices of something cylindrical (my father in law reckoned it would be loin or ‘backstrap’ perhaps). It was super tender and not at all gamey, which might mean it was farmed rather than wild. If I knew exactly what it was I’d have it again.

cinnamon_girl

molgrips – probably haunch.

monotokpoint
    Free Member

The amount of fat that came from the goose we had cooked made me want to gag, despite it tasting quite nice. Messy too.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Absolute rubbish generalisation. If you get a cheap frozen battery turkey from the supermarket it will be totally tasteless like any other cheap, frozen, high intensity farmed meat from the supermarket. If you go to a local producer, butcher or deli that does Norfolk Bronze or Norfolk Black free range, non frozen bird it is a totally different experience. Lots of taste, firm juicy and will still be producing sarnies etc for a week.

Cock is even better, and goose is good but as said above, very fatty and pretty small

It’s not absolute rubbish, I know food and I know that turkey is god awful. It’s only eaten at christmas because the yanks told you that’s what they do! If you think a turkey is as equally tasty as a goose/duck/pheasant/chicken/peacock/swan/pigeon/guinea-fowl or pretty much any other bird then you probably have zero taste buds.
    If you speak to a chinese man about the breast of a bird he will tell you that it is the worst/cheapest meat on the bird, and he is right. It lacks flavour and is dry (I can already hear the cries of “Well you obviously can’t cook” I am talking in comparison to the dark meat). A turkey is made up of mainly this dry tasteless bad textured meat. A goose on the other hand is all the good stuff with the added bonus of some lovely fat to cook the potatoes in!

hexhamstu
    Free Member

and will still be producing sarnies etc for a week.

mmmmmm week old dry turkey sandwiches I can’t wait for that!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Goose.

Actually you don’t get loads of meat on a goose, so if we have guests at Christmas, we tend to have goose on Christmas eve, then Turkey on Christmas day, keeps everyone happy

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Christmas dinner – turkey or goose or …?’ is closed to new replies.