Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Christmas cards you wish they’d not bothered with
  • kayak23

A friend of mine just sent me a pic of the Christmas card she got from her bosses at the place she works.

The bosses have a lot of history of being complete Richards and she wants to leave as soon as she can.

The message in her card made me chuckle though.

😂😂😂 I mean really, why bother at all? Presumably she also provided a slap in the face. What a waste of card and ink and time.

Anyone else had any Christmas greetings where it’d have been better not to bother? Impersonal, insulting, angry?

ads678

All greetings cards are pointless waste.

oldfart

Not Xmas greetings but a Hollow gesture non the less. Would I like to have a Xmas breakfast with management but you’ll have to make up the time afterwards. Ho ho no thanks 🙄🙄🙄🙄

P-Jay
    Free Member

No doubt handed over with a cheery “I’ve got your Xmas bonus right here…”

Dickyboy

How about a works chrstmas do in a marquee in company car park on the Saturday before Xmas, oh and for me it’s a 260 mile round trip with no hotel expenses. Odly enough I’ve never been 😀

Drac

Some people can’t even get a day off whilst the rest of the team are aware for the weekend.

Cougar

All greetings cards are pointless waste.

I came to this conclusion years ago. I don’t send cards at all bar ones I kinda have to like my mother. You spend a bunch of cash on dead trees for them to end up in the recycling (if you’re lucky) three weeks later.

The money I used to spend on cards I now put towards putting together a <virtue signalling> food bank drop instead, which is a better use of the cash and avoids any “miserable bastard didn’t send me a card” thoughts anyone may entertain. </virtue signalling>

HughStew

Is her name Staff or Steff?
    I got a card from a supplier with a picture of some WW2 bombers coming in to land. Peace and goodwill torwards mankind, except for the Bosche.

kayak23

Not Steff, but she is staff.

Presumably the manager/boss just speed wrote a load of cards with Staff in, then signed them.

Melts your heart that sort of warmth this time of year… 😂

BoardinBob

About 5 years ago my mother sent a xmas card to just me and left my wife’s name off. Deliberately.

Haven’t spoken to my mother since. I’m guessing she wishes she hadn’t bothered.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Melts your heart that sort of warmth this time of year…

…unless you didn’t get one. That’d be really worrying.

kayak23

Yeah but not getting one seems somehow less of a kick in the teeth than getting one where you’re addressed so….well not addressed directly at all actually.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Yeah but not getting one seems somehow less of a kick in the teeth than getting one where you’re addressed so….well not addressed directly at all actually.

….unless not getting one means that you’re not staff anymore.

convert

The kiss and the anonymous title do seem to be at odds. I’d never put an X on a card to someone I line manged. And obvious if can’t put a name you don’t bother sending.

If the boss in question has a boss I’d be regifting that on to them. It’s the season of goodwill and all.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I got an invite to my sisters wedding, but my wife and son were not even mentioned.

I didn’t go 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

Some people can’t even get a day off whilst the rest of the team are aware for the weekend.

^ True dat

benv
    Free Member

Was it given to an individual person or meant for the whole office? I love it either or.

scruff9252

Years ago at the works Xmas dinner my old boss handed out the cards. All the other staff got a card a card with their name and a message written in in. All these were handed out as we sat at the table. Boss, clearly forgot me when writing them at home earlier looked at me and went “oh, yours must still be in my bag” then proceeded to hand me a blank card.

I felt like a very valuable member of the team that night… Left not long after as I seem to remember.

kayak23

Was it given to an individual person or meant for the whole office? I love it either or.

Individual I think. Presumably they all got one. 😅

sockpuppet

Deliberately.

Haven’t spoken to my mother since. I’m guessing she wishes she hadn’t bothered.

Well, that escalated quickly.

Or maybe not. But still, seems like an overreaction. Who am I to know.

funkmasterp

I’m kinda with Cougar

The money I used to spend on cards I now put towards putting together a <virtue signalling> collection of mince pies and cream for me. So I kind of become a repository for food. A food bank if you will

swedishmetal
    Free Member

I only send cards to close family and friends I can’t see regularly. I try to write a fair bit in them to make it more personal though, if you can’t spend a few minutes writing some words why bother?

Drac

True dat

😂

theotherjonv

Presumably the manager/boss just speed wrote a load of cards with Staff in, then signed them.

Melts your heart that sort of warmth this time of year… 😂

Think of the time and efficiency saving. No need to look up the names of the staff (I’m assuming they won’t know them without a list), no need to check spelling, no need to address envelopes and get them in the right one, no need to rummage through the cards to give the right one to the right person – including that awkward bit where they don’t know Samit from Dipak, or can’t remember the name of June in accounts even though she’s been there nearly a year now…..

Teri is a **** organisational efficiency machine, and that’s why she’s management and your wife is best addressed as ‘staff’ 😉

johndoh
    Free Member

@drac TBF, we did give them the afternoon off when the rest of us got back. And if some kind of retribution against my crimes was needed, I was pickpocketed within 15 minutes of getting there and lost something like £250.

Still, Milan is a beautiful place.

Drac

Seems a good compromise the afternoon off not the £250.

mattyfez

Really bad for the environment.

If you want to wish someone happy birthday or whatever, take them out for a drink and a conversation.

Cards are just empty gestures.

CountZero

If you want to wish someone happy birthday or whatever, take them out for a drink and a conversation.

Cards are just empty gestures.

Taking someone out for a drink or whatever on their birthday is all fine and dandy, when they live relatively close at hand – not so if they’re a three or four hour drive away.
    I’ve always given or sent cards to friends, and I’m very choosy about the cards I send, my friends have always appreciated those cards and commented on how much they appreciate them, and they take the same care.
    These cards are kept, and treasured, they are not empty gestures.

Cougar

Think of the time and efficiency saving. No need to look up the names of the staff

It’s almost as though Mail Merge doesn’t exist.

Taking someone out for a drink or whatever on their birthday is all fine and dandy, when they live relatively close at hand – not so if they’re a three or four hour drive away.

But think what it might mean to them if you did?

These cards are kept, and treasured, they are not empty gestures.

The ones you might receive may be. The ones you send, who knows.

theotherjonv

Think of the time and efficiency saving. No need to look up the names of the staff

– It’s almost as though Mail Merge doesn’t exist.

Teri doesn’t do mail merge….Teri doesn’t do her own typing, she has staff to do that! But Teri’s not sufficiently inhuman to order staff to write her Christmas cards for her, what kind of a monster do you think Teri is!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Christmas cards you wish they’d not bothered with’ is closed to new replies.