• This topic has 2,328 replies, 145 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by natrix.
Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 2,329 total)
  • Christmas Airfix!
  • Digby

Not sure about rigging a biplane though.

Quite enjoyed it myself … not sure I’ll rush to do the other one in my ‘stash’ just yet though …

Harry_the_Spider

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDTeE7zkr_k[/video]

spursn17
    Free Member

Use this stuff for rigging, easy peasy lemon squeezy!

EZ Line

It’s a very fine elastic thread, use a tiny drop of superglue to attach it. A good superglue applicator is a sewing needle stuck in the end of a chopstick with half of the eye ground (or filed) off.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Cheers spursn17

I did a 1:100 sailing ship once. Vowed I’d never do rigging again

Nice Gladiator there Digby

Digby

I did a 1:100 sailing ship once. Vowed I’d never do rigging again

Crikey … now that’s what I call rigging! That’s enough to cause a migraine!! Very impressive. Where do you park that?

Thanks john_drummer …! 🙂 Yep – the above bi-plane was done with EZ-Line and C.A.

A ‘needle-threader’ came in very handy.

More ‘involved’ than ‘easy-peasy’ I reckon! 😉

john_drummer
    Free Member

It’s not that big. Maybe 12in bow to stern. And about as tall. The US obviously learnt something from the Swedes a couple of centuries earlier 😉

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Not sure on lead shot prices at dive shops but it wouldn’t surprise me if they charge a premium as its “diving”..

Try here http://www.claygame.co.uk/lead-shot-samples-pd378

Handsomedog
    Free Member

Not officially xmas airfix but I was tidying the study in prep for a house valuation and came across a long forgotten box that I’d never got round to properly unpack (actually the wife said ‘over my dead body’ to displaying any airfix 🙁 ).

Anyway, these two now dog fighting above my desk:

And this poor guy who needs a bit of TLC before I can properly display him as he’s missing a propeller blade and one side of his undercarriage:

Now where did I put my model making box…?

monkfish
    Free Member

EZ line is the easiest rigging material IMO

My particular niche was WW1 Biplanes and whilst rigging can be frustrating to the point of gouging your eyes out it is ultimately rewarding when complete.

My particular favourite was a DH2. Fishing line would have been too structurally strong to keep the Booms square whereas EZ line did the job magnificently.

A needle with the eye cut into a U is a good tip, you just have to constantly burn off the dried glue

redthunder
    Free Member

@handsome dog

Great 🙂

I’m gping to that with my airfix spit and 109.

🙂

Handsomedog
    Free Member

@redthunder – I’m sure the box used to have a lancaster in it as well but that seems to have gone by the wayside. I really don’t remember throwing that away 🙁

Harry_the_Spider

Catalina for sale.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOjE-_cI-K8[/video]

Harry_the_Spider

Airfix 1:72 Douglas Dauntless. £2 from QualitySave. Canopy fit is a bit rubbish, but it is a nice little kit and infinitely better than the Revell Me262.

Scratch built the exhausts because, whilst they are shown on the pictures, they are not in the kit.

Had a lot of fun doing the exhaust stains and other muck with a water based wash. Panel lines done with a 6B pencil.

It goes nicely with my Zero and I’m doing a F4U Corsair to go with them.

ninfan
    Free Member
    Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Oh wow, that’s awesome. Please build it somebody. We could use them off the new carriers. Might.be quicker into service than the F-35,

spursn17
    Free Member

I’ll have a go, I’ve got a jigsaw, router, and some sharp chisels! 😀

ninfan
    Free Member

“What shall I do with these files?”
    “Oh, just chuck them in the skip!”

Thank heavens somebody used their noggin

Harry_the_Spider

Only just seen this. It looks like the last flying Sea Vixen is in a bit of a state.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x64-Bea7xXc&t=1s[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5qEhY3XD6Q[/video]

Harry_the_Spider

Oh, and this.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szten4iypCM[/video]

CountZero

I saw the piece about the Mossie drawings, incredible find, and thank your favourite deity someone was on the ball when they spotted that lot!
    Does anyone else think it might be an interesting training and apprenticeship project to set up a production line for building a bunch of Mossies of different marques? Seeing as how they were all built in furniture factories during the war, the woodworking skills would be applicable to all sorts of other industries, with the added cudos of having helped build something really special, ‘cos once you’ve made jigs and built one, it’s cheaper to build another, then another, the production line process allowing new students to come in and learn the skills that the first students already have.
    Plus helping give Kermit Weeks the finger, after he bought the only airworthy Mossie from BAE and taking it back to the States.
    He also did the same with the only airworthy Sunderland, but there could never be another one of those built.

Harry_the_Spider

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvEa_UtJl_c[/video]

Harry_the_Spider

Want.

Harry_the_Spider

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRwrmmGEcf4[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ2lIcY7VDg[/video]

john_drummer
    Free Member

Another Tamiya motorbike:

Suzuki GSX1100S Katana in 1:12 scale, built straight out of the box.

Working on a 1:72 Revell civilian helicopter now. Tiny.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Nice work John_drummer, I remember my neighbour getting a real one of those and it was like the future had arrived.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Eight out of ten Kats say their owners prefer them. 😉

Harry_the_Spider

Nice one J-D. Again, that looks real!

Currently mid way through a Italeri F4U Corsair after a few weeks doing other stuff. It is at the “looking like crap” phase. Hopefully it’ll come out OK at the end.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Revell 1:72 helicopter has had two coats of colour (deep metallic blue)
    Needs a coat of clear gloss before I mask off & paint the window frames in semi-gloss black. Then decals. Then more clear gloss (and semi-gloss) to seal them in. Then i can unmask the windows & add the fiddly bits – and at that scale they really are fiddly

Harry_the_Spider

I want to get a 1:72 Huey after reading Chickenhawk (Google it), but I fear that it will be a bit fiddly and may not survive in my son’s room.

john_drummer
    Free Member

1:48 Huey by Revell is a decent size

Harry_the_Spider

Too big for the display area my lad’s room.

There are already 15 kits in there and we’ve got as many again to get through.

john_drummer
    Free Member

1:144? Like N-scale vs OO railways, four times as much in the same area 😉

But forget about detailing up anything smaller than a 737!

Harry_the_Spider

1:72 Italeri F4U Corsair.

Korean War decals, but I went free-style with a WWII inspired paint job.

Nice little kit. Didn’t bother with the bombs, rockets and drop tank as they spoil the lines of it.

Did the Copydex paint chip effect thing again and probably went a little too far with the staining. Used a PVA for the canopy after frosting the last one with model adhesive.

Next up will be some Cold War era jets which will have less muck and such on them.

Harry_the_Spider

Airfix Vampire T.11

Lovely little kit.

CountZero

Just watched the video about the PB5-Y Catalina – damn, what a fabulous thing to have, as complete in period detail as it’s possible to have, and I want it!
    Especially as it’s armed! Wonderful.

spacemonkey

There are some cracking builds on this thread … can’t wait until I’ve refurbed the ‘makey makey’ room so monkey jnr and I can get down to some airfix-mongery.

Harry_the_Spider

Not so happy with this one. It was a test to see if I could do a reasonable brush cammo finish on a Dambuster’s Lancaster that I’ve got stashed.

The jury is out whether I brush paint the Lanc or save it and have a go with an airbrush at some point in the future.

spursn17
    Free Member

Wait and airbrush it, if you back out you owe me a ‘Ling’ (£500+VAT) 😀

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Your’e miles better off airbrushing something the size of a Lanc I’d say. Have a good practice on some plastic sheet, even paper, just to get a feel of the airbrush & the paint consistency. (here’s me, the expert!)

Anyone going to….

http://www.theinternationalcentretelford.com/scale-modelworld/ ?

Me & the Mrs are going down (not that she’s remotely interested) & a pal of mine is working for/helping one of the organisers. So Harry, if you need to know ANYTHING about Lancasters… meet up & I’ll introduce you to Paul, there’s not much he doesn’t know about RAF Lancs!

Harry_the_Spider

Wait and airbrush it, if you back out you owe me a ‘Ling’ (£500+VAT)

You are right. The Lancaster has large expanses of black that need to be uniform, so it would make sense to airbrush it.

It doesn’t help that the Hurricane cammo scheme is so… well… er cammo. I’ve done a lot of bright colour schemes of late and this one is just a bit dull.

I’ll have to delve into my stash to see what is next. I’ve got a Revell Fairey Gannet that looks interesting.

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 2,329 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.