• This topic has 2,328 replies, 145 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by natrix.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,081 through 1,120 (of 2,329 total)
  • Christmas Airfix!
  • eddiebaby
    Free Member

Kawasaki Ninja 1/12 by Tamiya – a work in progress:

I saw a modding video on that kit… blimey.
    Ooh found it:

johndrummer
    Free Member

Wow

johndrummer
    Free Member

I’m calling this finished now:

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

Kawasaki Ninja HC-R in 1:12 scale, by Tamiya

I think that’s the first one I’ve finished this year. Built straight OOB

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Really nice work. That and the Tamiya 1/32 Mosquito are the only things that appeal to me at the moment.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I spend far too much time watching this guys builds.
    He did a standard jet kit just using the stock parts recently that was still amazing, but stuff like this is museum grade.

Harry_the_Spider
    eddiebaby
    Free Member

Nice one. I remember that kit being launched back in the day. I think the bouncing bomb details were still technically classified for quite some time. I think it was Airfix that had to redesign their kit after the accurate details came out.

nickc

Guy Gibson’s Lancaster.

he’s smaller than photos would suggest

Harry_the_Spider

It is the newer release, although I managed to lose half of my Upkeep so had to scratch build it.

Going to add a fuel truck and groundcrew.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

That Lanc looks excellent.

Harry_the_Spider

Support your local model shop!

Mine is doing postal deliveries even though the shop is shut. Just put an paint order in as The Lancaster consumed a lot of greens and brown and my next build will be even bigger.

Mostly trains, but they stock Tamiya and Humbrol paints along with adhesives, decal setting solutions and so on.

The Locoshed, whitefield.

Harry_the_Spider

Better pictures now that the wind has dropped.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Truly great work HTS, the Lancaster is very, very well done. The exhaust staining, subtle variations of tone and the panel wash are all excellent.

All of a sudden, I’m a key worker as of the beginning of April so I’m still having to go into the office. This means that Project Dooleybird is going slowly. That vallejo metal stuff is truly excellent, it’s pretty robust if given ample drying time and will turn dull, grey plastic into a pleasingly deep duralumin. I’m on a steep learning curve, so the unfortunate P-51 has been stripped of paint twice due to my own ineptitude but perseverance has got me to a point that I’m now spraying light aluminium and dark aluminium to give tonal variation and sparing use of Tamiya Smoke along the panel lines to give the panels dome depth.

Harry_the_Spider

Thanks. Flory dirt wash and Tamiya pastels are difficult to get wrong!

timbog160

Nice work Harry! Agree ref the local model shop – mine is Halifax Modellers World and it’s an awesome shop. I tend to try to stick to only going in for consumables now though as I have a huge stash and no time!!

ChrisL

What witchcraft is this? I actually have something I can share? Impossible, yet here it is!

In the past couple of years I have been sidetracked from scale model kits as I got back into another childhood hobby of mine, wargaming. Instead of building and painting scale models, I’ve been building and painting sci fi and fantasy soldiers (well more building than painting, but I have painted a few).

After my last big wargaming project I decided to do something completely different so I pulled this Tamiya 1/48 M1A2 Abrams out of my disturbingly large stash and had a go at it. It is a very nice kit, as you’d expect from a modern Tamiya kit it goes together like a dream, so any ugly bits are my fault and not the kits.

Harry_the_Spider

Nice. It looks real, and that is as good as you can get.

ChrisL

Thanks! It was a nice change of pace from the spooky undead models I was painting up beforehand. I had a go doing preshading and it had some effect but by the time I’d airbrushed on enough of the main colour to get the average colour looking about right, most of the difference between the light and dark preshaded bits had been lost. Also, I have painting the tyres on road wheels!

Here’s some of the not-quite-appropriate for this topic undead I painted up before I built the tank:

JonEdwards
    Free Member

@ChrisL- the figures are stunning. I sued to do a bit of WH40k stuff back in ye day, but nothing like that!

Anyway – another one done. Airfix Blenheim MkIV F. Kind of an irritating kit – the main bulk of it moulded to extremely tight tolerances, so getting it to fit was hard work, but ultimately successful, but a lot of the silly little ancillaries like aerials are just “glue on where you feel like” – no pins or sockets, even when trying to fit a flat edge to a curved surface. I was a bit sloppy on the masking too in places, but it doesn’t look too shabby.

ChrisL

Thank you for your kind words. 🙂 I really like your Blenheim too, though even the thought of having to mask all its cockpit transparencies gives me the heebie-jeebies!

spursn17
    Free Member

Nice Blenheim! I like the shading on the upper wing camouflage, how did you do that as I’ve failed miserably several times?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

@ChrisL – Eduard mask kits FTW!

@spursn17
    . A bit long winded I’m afraid:-
    Prime
    Preshade the panel lines in black, preshade the middle of the panels with a fairly mottled white.
    Spray the brown (lots of dilute coats until you get the correct level of preshading showing through)
    Mask
    Top up the preshading, both black and white, on the non-masked areas
    Spray the green. (lots of thin coats as before)
    Pull off the masking, hoping the paint stays attached to the plastic, not the tape!

spursn17
    Free Member

Prime
    Preshade the panel lines in black, preshade the middle of the panels with a fairly mottled white.
    Spray the brown (lots of dilute coats until you get the correct level of preshading showing through)
    Mask
    Top up the preshading, both black and white, on the non-masked areas
    Spray the green. (lots of thin coats as before)
    Pull off the masking, hoping the paint stays attached to the plastic, not the tape!

Yep, done all of that. Still looks pony! 😂

Harry_the_Spider
    Harry_the_Spider

Got a free(ish) weekend and a huge stash of kits so I grabbed this.

…then changed my mind, put it way again and grabbed this instead.

johndrummer
    Free Member

Well I’ve only gone and started work on my 1/35 Miniart T-54 ; only 1030 Pieces to put together. Done about 4 nights of 2-3 hours at a time. So far I’ve built the engine and the suspension, plus a bit of the interior, doing about 1 page at a time.
    Suspension is a working torsion-bar set up. Well, mostly working. The front- and rear-most set of road wheel suspension pieces on each side sadly are now fixed due to over-exuberant application of Tamiya liquid cement 🙁

Here’s the listing at Model Hobbies: https://www.modelhobbies.co.uk/miniart-135-t-54b-soviet-tank-early-production-interior-kit–37011-90367-p.asp

Come to a bit of a standstill now, I need to paint the interior but the Revell Blue-Grey Aquacolour I was going to use has dried up. Now have to rely on online ordering & Royal Mail, shame I can’t just pop into Hobbycraft or my LMS

timbog160

Whoa! 1030 pieces – that’s radio rental! How on earth do you find and keep track of all the right pieces?! Your bench must be far more organised than mine 😀

Harry_the_Spider

1030 parts?!

You need to post up a progress picture or two of that!

Coyote
    Free Member

I’ve got the Osprey too. Also got a Chinook on the way for Fathers Day and about to pull the trigger on an A10. It’s the Revell version though. Also got a Fairey Swordfish stashed away somewhere. Probably wait until the autumn before starting up again though. Plenty outdoors stuff to be getting on with.

johndrummer
    Free Member

Ooh a Stringbag. Good luck with the rigging

johndrummer
    Free Member

The box:

View post on imgur.com

The manual – 24 pages plus colour instructions:

View post on imgur.com

Contents:

View post on imgur.com

Track links. There are 10 of these sprues:

View post on imgur.com

Road wheels – 10 or so of these sprues. I think I have a choice of which type of wheel:

View post on imgur.com

The engine:

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

Driver’s seat:

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

The hull interior (so far):

View post on imgur.com

Moving torsion bar suspension. Plus, to it’s left, a non-moving part:

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

Gear & steerImg levers:

View post on imgur.com

This is going to take me a while, I think

Harry_the_Spider

Yikes! There’s a lot going on in there.

johndrummer
    Free Member

About 15 parts – some of them barely visible with the naked eye – go into each suspension arm.

Needs painting now, I’ve made a bit more progress but I really am depending on the paint arriving.

Right, what else is in the stash? Ah, yes, a crew for this beast!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Ooh a Stringbag. Good luck with the rigging

Funnily enough, exactly what I’m doing at the moment! <<my eyes hurt>>

eddiebaby
    Free Member

@johndrummer That looks amazing. Looking forward to seeing more.

Coyote
    Free Member

Wow! Just wow!

johndrummer
    Free Member

And when that’s finished, there’s an M3 Lee by the same company, again with full interior…

Sometimes I think it would be nice to do a simple 1/72 Spitfire

Coyote
    Free Member

Just done a Revell 1/72 Spitfire. Can’t believe the quality of the kit over the Airfix one, worlds apart!

johndrummer
    Free Member

Well I didn’t have a 1/72 Spitfire handy, so I started on this…
    Three & a half hours later, I’ve assembled much of the airframe and given the cockpit interior a coat of grey

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

Wet paint!

View post on imgur.com

Rockhopper
    Free Member

If anyone has a 3D printer then this is a useful thing to make.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,081 through 1,120 (of 2,329 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.