Viewing 40 posts - 601 through 640 (of 2,325 total)
  • Christmas Airfix!
  • CountZero

I’m building Maid Marian.

Cheeky! Hope the fuselage colour won’t be that ghastly shade of green, tho’! Fluorescent lighting does horrible things to colour photos.

Harry_the_Spider

Hemp over Light Grey.

The first photo I could find actually, well the first one that wasn’t just a close up of the mascot’s arse.

stumpy01

Wooo. The first model I ever built was that Revell Handley Page Victor.

Harry_the_Spider

Really? Wow! Go big or go home!

How did it turn out?

stumpy01

It was a present – I think I was about 9 or 10. We did it in an off-white/grey and green camo scheme. I think I did it with landing gear up and it was hung from the ceiling. The finish was distinctly amateur, but I loved it.

The next one was a Harrier that we spent a load of time on. None of these wear or aging effects that you are applying, but it looked really good nonetheless.

It unceremoniously crashed to the floor when my brother was throwing screwed up balls of paper at it while revising for his a-levels. Tosser.

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

I recently got back into proper modelling after a break of 20-odd years.

More into Sci-Fi, scratch-building, Maschinen Krieger stuff, but here’s a couple of things I finished in the summer.

Harry_the_Spider

I like them ^

Kuco

love the Frankie one.

johndrummer
    Free Member

Revell 1:48 PT-17 Stearman Kaydet

Revell 1:48 PT-17 Stearman Kaydet

john_drummer
    Free Member

Tamiya 1:24 Ferrari LaFerrari

Tamiya 1:24 LaFerrari. Not my finest hour.

More here: https://imgur.com/gallery/d3PIcVN

The rigging on the Stearman is EZLine if anyone wants to know. Rigging is a PITA. But at least it wasn’t a sailing ship, rigging those really is a pain I can do without. Life’s too short

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

The Stearman’s nice; what scale is it?

Oh, yes, I see now!

Never used that rigging stuff, any good? It does look reasonably to scale.

john_drummer
    Free Member

it’s designed for model railways – a US product so designed to replicate the telegraph wires that used to run alongside north american railroad (their term, not mine 😉 ) lines. it’s elasticated so really easy to get a nice taut finish, but requires a bit of patience while the superglue sets.

I had to do a couple of botches where the rigging meets the wing root and again where it meets the top of each undercarriage leg. But I’m hoping you’d have to look really hard to find it.

Should also be some rigging under the horizontal stabilisers but my patience was running very thin. maybe later. Some Eduard aftermarket extras but I’m not sure how much they were worth the extra effort – with the exception of the seatbelts I don’t think much of it is even visible

The after market carbon fibre effect decals on the Ferrari weren’t easy either, no matter how much decalfix i used, some curves just wouldn’t conform.

johndrummer
    Free Member

Next up, Italeri big truck. 1:24 Scania R620.

Challenging already, very little in the way of paint detail in the instructions. And the seams, oh the seams 👿

Northwind

I randomly found this old Revell kit in the bottom of a cupboard (not my pic)

As tempting as its was, after checking ebay it became my Last, Best Hope For Selling It On For 10 Times What I Paid For It In The Wonderland Sale In 2002. Nice, though

Harry_the_Spider

What is it?

CountZero

It’s from Babylon 5, I think it’s the actual ship of that name, although it’s been a long time since I watched it, and my memory is suspect at best.

Yeah, a quick google confirmed it’s the actual space station of that name:

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/32325/27845940_1.jpg?v=8D4EE95179D38C0

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Yep Babylon 5 “mans last best hope for peace, it failed!”

JonEdwards
    Free Member

So I’ve been worked (somewhat half heartedly) on this for the last 18 months. It was the last kit I bought in my first modelling phase, shortly around the time I discovered sex, bikes and rock’n’roll. Found it last summer, part built in my parents attic, stripped it down and started afresh. Much learning going on – aftermarket resin bits, clay washes, oil dot weathering etc. Glad it’s done to be honest – it fought me the entire damn way, but it doesn’t look too bad (although the camera lies like a cheap rug, but in a good way!)

Hasegawa F-14D, 1/48

Lets see if I can make this wretched forum post pics…

<<edit>> – Woot…! <</edit>>

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Very, very nice.

Harry_the_Spider

Just been looking at that over on Britmodeller!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Nice one Jon.

nostrils
    Free Member

Currently building an Airfix new tool 1/72 Gnat, got it for a fiver from Lidl the other day. Reviews online for the kit are favourable but I’m having a difficult time bashing it together, a lot of filler used on what is a small model. Particularly around the intakes. The two sprues seemed to be two different types of plastic which is odd.

Ive also gone off every humbrol product apart from their liquid poly, their acrylic paints are pants.

Harry_the_Spider

I know what you mean about Humbrol.

Going to start a Victor K2 shortly and the only Hemp paint I can find is Humbrol’s. Will try it on my “Test Pig” and if it fails I’ll be mixing my own from various shades of Tamiya.

johndrummer
    Free Member

Tamiya & Revell Aquacolour acrylics for me. Tamiya acrylic thinner and a Neo by Iwata airbrush

I have a couple of Vallejo paints and an (I think) AK metallic to try out when I start on the next big project – MiniArt 1:35 T-54 complete with interior. Only 950 pieces of plastic to bash together…

in the meantime i’m wrestling with a 1/24 Italeri Scania truck. Chassis & engine coming along slowly, cab up next

having said that, I do like Humbrol Maskol. Have to apply it with cotton buds though, as it eats my paintbrushes. Needs cellulose thinners

spursn17
    Free Member

“I know what you mean about Humbrol.

Going to start a Victor K2 shortly and the only Hemp paint I can find is Humbrol’s. Will try it on my “Test Pig” and if it fails I’ll be mixing my own from various shades of Tamiya.”

Xtracrylix from Hannants do a close match to RAF hemp, nice paint to use as well.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Hemp?

Mr Colour 336?

http://www.mr-hobby.com/en/itemDetail.php?iId=87

(looks a bit too green on there though)

neilnevill
    Free Member

Chin on the floor!  that F-14 is stunning!  I’m not a modeller…not since about aged 15 where like many kids i had 5 or 6 hastily done kits dog fitting around my bedroom ceiling, but i do enjoy the photos here, well done!

Digby

@JonEdwards – very nice indeed! 🙂

spursn17
    Free Member

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aVCtTqhantUfoYUK7

Hetzer I started ages ago, now fast approaching the finish line. I need to get better at figure painting (and posting pics on here!).

CountZero

Anyone fancy doing a Blackburn Buccaneer with an interesting paint job? I was digging around on the interwebz trying to find the BBC footage of the RAF Buccaneers taking part in the Red Flag Exercise in Nevada in 1977, and discovered that they’d been repainted in a sort of sand/brown version of the regular camo, except for the rear fuselage under the tail. There’s a diecast model with that paint, but I thought it might make an interesting project for someone out there.
    https://militaryaiworks.com/download-hangar/file-library/download/8-aircraft-repaints/455-raf-red-flag-1977

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Ah the Red Flag Buccaneers… finished their missions and back for tea before the Yanks even noticed.

Harry_the_Spider

I can’t wait for a few days off so that I can crack on with a build. Not done anything since August.

njee20
    Free Member

That F-14 is stunning! Well done Jon.

spursn17
    Free Member

I’ve managed to post the pics at last, Flickr can go and do one now!

This is the Hetzer I started a few years ago when I bought it from ModelZone 😂

I’m not that happy with the figure though. The arms were chopped about to get him leaning on the gun and hatch lid which turned out ok, the painting needs to improve though as the face is a bit ropey.
    The Hetzer itself just needs the aerial glueing on which was kindly supplied by Henry the dog donating one of his whiskers, and I’m fairly happy with it. The base needs a bit more work as the cobbles are too dark and I need to scatter some rubbish and dust on there.

Critique away boys and girls, we only get better by correcting our mistakes! 😀

Harry_the_Spider

Can’t fault that.

scuttler

F-14 is the nuts! I love how you had two goes at it. I could never find the Buccaneer vid but apparently it may be in the BBC archive. From on here around a year ago

Lots of reference to the Buccaneer video, Red Flag and other exploits here including an alleged incident where two Buccaneers hid under a Vulcan to evade detection 😮

http://www.pprune.org/archive/index.php/t-48541.html

Seems that the footage you’re referencing was originally shown on BBC Nationwide but has subsequently disappeared. Plenty of people have looked for it though.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I hear the Yanks to this day are regularly owned by the Brits, French and Israelis at Red Flag. The Yanks with all the toys and gear still.

spursn17
    Free Member

I had a really horrible day yesterday so I made a paint rack to cheer myself up, it worked!

Viewing 40 posts - 601 through 640 (of 2,325 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.