Viewing 40 posts - 521 through 560 (of 2,325 total)
  • Christmas Airfix!
  • Wookster

WOw Harry that’s amazing

john_drummer
    Free Member

Battlestar Galactica – Colonial Raptor in progress…

1/32 scale, kit by Moebius, seatbelts from Eduard 1/32 Hawk T Mk53; weathering done by the “hairspray chipping”effect

Harry_the_Spider

Looking good!

I may have accidentally purchased a Saab Grippen and a Hawker Tempest.

Current project is a B25 Mitchell gunship.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Is the Tempest the one with the chin radiator, or radial engine like the Sea Fury ( and FW190 before it)?

Harry_the_Spider

The chin.

Heller rebox apparently. It is meant to go together ok. I’ll do a double build with a Typhoon that I’ve got.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smer-1-72-Hawker-Tempest-Mk-V-0848/372109748299?epid=1824661951&hash=item56a378284b:g:w6IAAOSwTEJZ6M43

nickc

Tempest had both (Chin and Radial)

nerd alert…

john_drummer
    Free Member

I think the Tempest MkVI had the radial engine – Napier Sabre?

all models of Tempest had a thinner wing than the Typhoon , which was meant to be a replacement for the Hurricane but was not great at altitude, excellent in the ground attack role.

I think the Sea Fury was derived from the Tempest MkVI and missed WWII but was used in Korea. Only piston engined fighter to shoot down a jet in that conflict irc.

john_drummer
    Free Member

BSG Colonial Raptor – finished!

Raptor

Raptor

Front view

Side view

Belly view

Kit by Moebius in 1/32 scale. Seatbelts- Eduard BAe Hawk, otherwise finished OOB.

paints – Humbrol Acrylic 118 American Tan, one of a myriad shades of grey by Revell, engines Tamiya Bronze. All airbrushed. Wear & tear on the ‘wings’ – hairspray chipping method with Tamiya XF16 Flat Aluminium underneath.

ChrisL

I think the Tempest MkVI had the radial engine – Napier Sabre?

all models of Tempest had a thinner wing than the Typhoon , which was meant to be a replacement for the Hurricane but was not great at altitude, excellent in the ground attack role.

I think the Sea Fury was derived from the Tempest MkVI and missed WWII but was used in Korea. Only piston engined fighter to shoot down a jet in that conflict irc.

The Tempest Mk II had the radial engine. The Mk VI had the Mk V’s Sabre engine but incorporated improvements initially implemented in the Mk II. Note that the Mk V was the first Tempest in service. Several engine options were developed in parallel including the II’s Centaurus radial engine and the V’s Sabre (a development of the engine originally in the Typhoon) and the V’s was the first they got working well enough for service.

The Centaurus powered Tempest eventually morphed into the Fury (which never entered production) and eventually the Sea Fury (though a Sea Fury variant, named the Fury was developed for land-based rather than carrier operations). Interestingly the Sea Fury was also the starting point for the Sea Hawk, which was the first Hawker jet and which barely resembles the Sea Fury. That in turn eventually led to the Hawker Hunter.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Ah, got my facts mixed up a bit there. Still, a very nice aircraft

Digby

Top work with the airbrush there HtS! Nice one! 🙂

nickc

Only piston engined fighter to shoot down a jet in that conflict irc.

Nah, both P51s and F4U-4 Corsairs killed MiGs in the Korean war and A4D Skyraiders claimed MiGs in the Vietnam war!

Harry_the_Spider

Liking the Raptor JD.

This is all getting a bit like Britmodeller, where we all say how much we like each other’s stuff then argue about the number of rivets holding the soup warmer to the cockpit side in an Avro Lincoln.

I need to get on with my B25 Mitchell that has been stalled for a month. Also, one of the undercarriage legs on the Tempest wasn’t properly formed, so I’m going to have to raid my spare parts box and scratch build it.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

This any use to anyone?

Harry_the_Spider

I remember making that Jaguar back in the mid 80s.

How much do you want for them?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

The jags had someone attempt to paint the shell I’ll snap some pics. Nowt some brake fluid wong strip. I’ll fire some pics up later and see what it’s worth to you.

Harry_the_Spider

Actually, I’ve got a daft stash of unmade kits, so someone else can have a go. I remember the Jag looking really good though.

ChrisL

From what manufacturer is that Harrier kit?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Fujimi

Harry_the_Spider

Progress.

B-25 Mitchell Gunship.

It had a 3.75″ cannon in the nose, the barrel of which ran under the pilots and was breach loaded by the navigator from his position aft of the cockpit. It could get off 4 rounds a minute. A flying tank, but not quite an A-10.

ChrisL

Regarding that big gun in the Mitchell, turns out it wasn’t very effective. From Air Vectors:

I once read an article written by a B-25 pilot who flew his aircraft in the Aegean, nailing German resupply boats. They would sometimes pop off a 75 millimeter round just for fun, and one day they actually scored a hit. The pilot and copilot sat there for a moment in amazement — and then one said to the other: “Don’t tell anyone we did this, they might think it was a good idea.”

Harry_the_Spider

Yeah, but it looks mean.

Harry_the_Spider

Shading, fading and a layer of aluminium and latex glue on for paint chipping. Top coat at the weekend with a bit of luck.

Cletus

That B25 reminds me of Johnny Red from Battle who flew one (minus 75mm) in a memorable story.

https://downthetubes.net/?p=33511

Harry_the_Spider

Got the top coat on.

Harry_the_Spider

Progress. Still needs more grime.

Harry_the_Spider

Finished.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Very nice Harry 🙂

i’m making Slow progress on a Tamiya 1:24 LaFerrari, mostly due to being in Aylesbury during the week. The carbon fibre look aftermarket decals are a pig but they really do add to the look, well worth taking time over

Harry_the_Spider

Next up…

Italeri F14 Tomcat, 1/72 scale.

Cockpit with a bit of scratch built detail on the seats.

I made a MisterCraft Hawker Hunter too, but the kit was so shit that I won’t mention it. Avoid.

ChrisL

All your pictures appear to be dead, Harry. 🙁

Harry_the_Spider

Weird, I can see them on my desktop, but not on my phone.

Harry_the_Spider

Hmmm… They’ve gone off other sites too. Postimage did have a bit of a “Benny” last night. Hopefully they’ll sort it out quickly.

Harry_the_Spider

Don’t know what is going on. On the assumption that the images come back eventually here are my experimenst with pre-shading.

Primed.

Pre-shaded.

Finished painted.

Harry_the_Spider

<h4>postimg.ORG domain is locked by Registry, no prior notice.</h4>
    While we hope to resolve the issue, we chose postimg.CC as our new home.
    Please update codes embedded in your websites.

Arses.

ChrisL

Nice work on the wings, Harry. Naval aircraft tend to show a lot of wear so it looks very appropriate. I’ve seen pre-shading with dark lines before but I haven’t seen it done also with blocks of colour, presumably that’s to get some hue variation as well as tonal variation?

PJM1974
    Free Member

@Harry

I did see your work on Britmideller, you’re getting the hang of the airbrush with admirable aplomb.

As for the tonal variation, there is usually a yellowish anti-corrosion etch coat applied to airframes before they’re painted, it’s entirely appropriate for various parts of the airframe to show variation as parts are often recycled from retired/stores aircraft.

Its good to experiment with undercoat colours to bring out the top coat – I undercoat yellow bands/wingtips in white first and if I’m painting an aluminium airframe, I’ll selectively pick panels to undercoat in contrasting blue, black, white or grey. You don’t have to be super-accurate, as you then pick out the panel lines in black before airbrushing the top coats. I’ve just finished a 1/48 Hunter with an aluminium underside done this way.

Harry_the_Spider

I’m making it up as I go along. I’m also a tiny bit colour blind (didn’t find out until I was 48!!!).

Harry_the_Spider

PSA for those that live near to a Quality Save.

Airfix Mk1 Spitfires £2.99!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Looking really good Harry.

Harry_the_Spider

On a rare visit back to STW…

Tomcat looks like this.

Been busy of late, but I should have a few hours free this afternoon to do a bit more.

Viewing 40 posts - 521 through 560 (of 2,325 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.