Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)
  • Christians – have you got the wrong guy?
  • neilthewheel

Hmmm – so are there still people around who claim to be able to trace their line back to David? If not, the Jews are going to struggle to find anyone to fulfil the prophesies.

Underhill
    Free Member

When Jerusalem was destroyed by the Romans in 70ad they destroyed the temple & pretty much all records of who begat who. So yes, very difficult for Judaism to definitively state anyone is a direct descendant of David.

miketually
    Free Member

However, I take issue with you and others conflating the burning of heretics etc with Christianity.

People are INHERENTLY jingoistic, tribal, ignorant and aggressive. This is not the fault of Christianity. It’s just used as an excuse.

“With or without it (religion) you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” – Steven Weinberg

The Old Testament is jingoistic, tribal, ignorant and aggressive. There’s nothing in the Ten Commandments about genocide or slavery, because that’s what God tell the Jewish tribe to do through most of the OT.

Jesus was reportedly a lot more peace and love, though it’s the NT that invents hell and damnation. The Catholics in particular were fond of burning and torturing, but the CofE was essentially founded upon it, with Elizabeth I being very fond of bonfires, even though it’s all tea and biscuits now and they restrict themselves to institutionalism sexism and homophobia.

miketually
    Free Member

I think we’re getting away from the point, friends. I was interested to hear how people who use the prophesies of the OT as part of their support for their view that Jesus was the Messiah, square my quotes in the original post with the character they believe to be The One. The prophesies appear to be about someone else – a strong military leader/politician who is going to free Israel and rule in peace etc. Jesus never did that. So the Jews (whose views also need to be given respect) might have a point, no??

There was a lot of tension at the time over what kind of messiah Jesus was going to be; Matthew (IIRC) was very much in the shouty-stabby camp and cut off someone’s ear in Gethsemane.

The nice thing about writing the gospels after-the-fact is that you can make sure Jesus fulfils the prophesies, regardless of whether or not he did in reality. Make sure some kings visit to cover that base, make sure he’s born in the correct town to cover that base…

hora
    Free Member

I believe in a higher being, some call it Mother Nature however I dont believe in mans manipulation and control what is called organised religious group…

Follow us like sheep and do as well tell you hocom

neilthewheel

Michael Moorcock wrote an interesting short story called Behold the Man that goes into some of that stuff, Mike – how much of the story got filled in afterwards.
    Something else that I noticed recently is that nowhere in the NT does it mention anything about 3 kings. Matthew mentions “wise men from the east” – he doesn’t say how many. I guess we’ve all come to assume there were 3 because they brought 3 gifts but one of them could easily have carried the myrrh and the Frankincense. I don’t think they are very heavy. The rest of the gospels don’t mention them at all. Then suddenly they have names – Balthazar, Melchior and Caspar. So somebody made that up!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Just a point, but Underhill mentioned that the line of female descent did not count. However, i was under the (possibly erroneous) belief that ‘Jewishness’ (corrct term?) is passed down through the female line?

EDIT: For some reason i was also under the idea that Jesus was of the Cohenim class, i.e. the priestly caste.

molgrips
    Free Member

Not everything that makes you happy is good for you.

Quite. But if you are going to insinuate that you know what’s best for everyone then.. well.. you are on thin ice!

I guess we’ve all come to assume there were 3 because they brought 3 gifts but one of them could easily have carried the myrrh and the Frankincense

Yeah but one of them would only have one gift compared to the other’s two, and that would have been *very* awkward.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0pQkHAyY8M[/video]

miketually
    Free Member

Not everything that makes you happy is good for you.

Quite. But if you are going to insinuate that you know what’s best for everyone then.. well.. you are on thin ice!

Which is why every individual should be free to believe in whatever they like, so long as it doesn’t impact on others or give them special privileges.

If anyone want to believe that 96000 years after humans evolved, the creator of the universe suddenly decided to send some rules in the form of stone tablets and then a couple of thousand years later decided to come to Earth so that he could be nailed to a tree in return for his own forgiveness? Great!

The problem only comes when those people or organisations want special privileges.

molgrips
    Free Member

Which is why every individual should be free to believe in whatever they like, so long as it doesn’t impact on others or give them special privileges

And it’d be nice if Woppit didn’t randomly attack them for it, no? Or anyone else. That includes constant belittling btw.

miketually
    Free Member

And it’d be nice if Woppit didn’t randomly attack them for it, no? Or anyone else. That includes constant belittling btw.

Anybody should expect to have their beliefs questioned, within the bounds of politeness and social convention. If I posted about my deeply-held belief in the tooth fairy, it would be questioned. Or my belief that women should only hold subservient roles or that interracial marriages are wrong.

If I truly and deeply believed that the ghost of Genghis Khan was sending me instructions on how to live my life, because he was descended from Shiva, it’d be queried.

molgrips
    Free Member

Anybody should expect to have their beliefs questioned

Back to this again eh. AGAIN.

Questioning belifs – yes
    Insintuating stupidity and feeblemindedness – no

miketually
    Free Member

Questioning belifs – yes

So we’re agreed? Excellent.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Well we live in hope that one day you’ll understand that they way that you think that people should act isn’t actually of any significance and that they are free to say whatever they want in whatever way they want, no matter what you think. You are of course also free to reply in whatever manner you see fit.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

God botherers at it again– have you no ironing to do ?

miketually
    Free Member

We shouldn’t belittle anyone with religious beliefs, but it’s fine if they ask an engineering question.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Questioning belifs – yes

http://freethinker.co.uk/features/atheists-are-more-intelligent-than-religious-people/

molgrips
    Free Member

🙄

miketually
    Free Member

To get back to the OP: I have to laugh when people think they’ve uncovered a major flaw in something that teams of theologists have been working on for years after a few moments idle pondering in a carol service.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Hmmm – so are there still people around who claim to be able to trace their line back to David? If not, the Jews are going to struggle to find anyone to fulfil the prophesies.

This from the BBC a couple of months ago suggests there would have been loads of people around at the time who could trace their line back to David, so presumably there are even more now.

peajay

If Paul Daniels was alive back in ancient times they would have wrote the bible about him, Jesus may have turned water in to wine but Paul Daniels can cut the lovely Debbie McGee in half and put her back together!

loum
    Free Member

If I posted about my deeply-held belief in the tooth fairy, it would be questioned.
    If I truly and deeply believed that the ghost of Genghis Khan was sending me instructions on how to live my life, because he was descended from Shiva, it’d be queried.

I don’t think you get molgrips point.
    At best, you’re comparing apples with pears. You raise examples of things that you most definitely do not believe in yourself as something you’d expect to be challenged on, in direct comparison to other peoples genuine beliefs. Those are not the same, closer to opposites, and it would be easy to perceive this as insinuating stupidity and feeble-mindedness – yes.

However, your other post contains a quote from the Physics Nobel prize winner, Steven Weinberg. Unfortunately, it’s not related to his area of expertise but to his political beliefs.
    But I’ll assume this time you quoted him in “good faith” through actually sharing those political beliefs, and I’d happily challenge that rather than a mock belief in a tooth fairy.
    And he’s wrong.
    A bit of background on these politics (from Wiki):

Weinberg is also known for his support of Israel. He wrote an essay titled “Zionism and Its Cultural Adversaries” to explain his views on the issue.
    Weinberg has cancelled trips to universities in the United Kingdom because of British boycotts directed towards Israel. He has explained:
    “Given the history of the attacks on Israel and the oppressiveness and aggressiveness of other countries in the Middle East and elsewhere, boycotting Israel indicated a moral blindness for which it is hard to find any explanation other than antisemitism.

And a great post stolen from chakaping on the the other thread:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=A5drXEXkf9s[/video]

gonefishin
    Free Member

I don’t think you get molgrips point.
    At best, you’re comparing apples with pears. You raise examples of things that you most definitely do not believe in yourself as something you’d expect to be challenged on, in direct comparrison to other peoples genuine beliefs. Those are not the same, and it would be easy to percieve this as insintuating stupidity and feeblemindedness – yes.

Whilst I don’t wan to be seen to speak for mike (he’s more than capable of speaking for himself) I feel it is you who is missing the point. No belief no matter what it is is boeyond criticism. It doesn’t matter whether that belief is racist, mysoginistic, xenophobic, or involves invisible pink unicorns no belief deserves special treatment or privilidge. In our society where free speach is an improtant thing, that cricism can take many forms some of which the criticised won’t like and quite frankly people just need to get over it as that is a consequnce of free speach. I’ve been on the recieving end of some quite insulting criticism for my non belief in any sort of deity, but I accept that as part of the price for free speach.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Considering the article uses IQ as the measure of intelligence.

I know some very intelligent (high IQ) people but they have much lower than average common sense.

Therefore, using a similarly flimsy arguement as Mr Freethinker, that must mean that religious people choose religion as the obvious choice because they have more common sense.

😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

Questioning belifs – yes

Well they all claim to be the one true and real god so it stand to reason that the majority of those who commune with their diety of choice are wrong and are imagining it’s presence in their lifes.

What would you prefer we describe this delusion ?
    Strong? Wise? Based on reality?

Its just culturally accepted but it is not real.
    Should we treat all delusions with the same respect or just ones that are religious in nature and have enough members?

You raise examples of things that you most definitely do not believe in yourself as something you’d expect to be challenged on, in direct comparrison to other peoples genuine beliefs.

What difference does it matter how much I believe ?

Does the stregth of my faith alter whether it is right or wrong?
    It cannot,in any way I can see, make any difference to the truth of my claim.

See the reaction when folk set up religions and we point and laugh but th elong running ones we have to show respect
    Its as credible a world view as is David Ickes but we are meant to respect it despite the non eveidence

I understand Molly thinks its special and we should tolerate/respect it but being wrong is not something I think we should tolerate

Whilst the degree educated physicts may wish to discuss proof with me here I would ask him to use his standards from science to this issue and see which side we would hvae “faith” in being correct

If you wish to respct someone who communes with and feels the presence of a non existent diety then that is your choice but please dont ask me to do the same.

One day mankind will be free from religion and all the false gods – see we can all have faith 😉

mudshark
    Free Member

I know some very intelligent (high IQ) people but they have much lower than average common sense.

I’m not really sure what common sense is – can’t really measure it can we?

Anyway, some of the brightest people I know are Christians – I don’t know their IQs or level of common sense but they are highly articulate. They also earn lots of cash so must be bright right?!

rudebwoy
    Free Member

One day mankind will be free from religion and all the false gods – see we can all have faith

aye + 1

PhilAmon
    Free Member

Its nice that this thread (at least started as) a reasoned debate over a bible passage. Just to try and bring things back to the point, I have a list of prophecies about Jesus in the back of my bible, a bit like this one…

http://christianity.about.com/od/biblefactsandlists/a/Prophecies-Jesus.htm

The fact that he would be of the line of David (which he was as stated above) is just one of many details contained within the OT.

molgrips
    Free Member

I understand Molly thinks its special and we should tolerate/respect it

No, that is not what I believe at all.

You should not be nasty to people at all, regardless of what their private beliefs might be. It does not matter what that belief is.

I believe leggings don’t look good on fat people but I don’t go around telling them that. Why? Cos it’s pointless, it’d upset them and it’s none of my business what they wear.

I am not arguing for special treatment for religion. I am arguing for being nice to each other.

Is this so difficult to understand? Is it somehow controversial?

If you wish to respct someone who communes with and feels the presence of a non existent diety then that is your choice but please dont ask me to do the same.

I’ll ask you to respect every human being as such. You may not respect each belief however.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I am not arguing for special treatment for religion. I am arguing for being nice to each other.

The problem with that is that religion DOES get special treatment and all sorts of unwarranted priveleges.

Suggesting that these be removed often causes “offence” to the religious.

Although, you think THAT’S offensive? Just ask me what I think about your actual religion…

That’s your religion, by the way, not you.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You should not be nasty to people at all, regardless of what their private beliefs might be. It does not matter what that belief is

Nazis?
    BNP
    Those who think its ok to beat up gays for giving us the gay plague
    When exactly was religion a private belief- they only do it private and dont try and impose their beliefs on me – is this really your claim?
    I could not disagree more what if their belief is really nasty?

I believe leggings don’t look good on fat people but I don’t go around telling them that. Why? Cos it’s pointless, it’d upset them and it’s none of my business what they wear.

This is nothing like religion 😕
    What of they tell you you have to wear leggings and your children and everyone else and then a certian colour etc.
    The fat legging wearer has no impact on your life – the religious do and they try to put their beliefs on you.

What if I tell you i hear voices and you all need to ride Orange 5 lest the voices will be angry – still ok to respect my belief now it impacts on yout life
    Perhaps I could get a sacred book written buy Guy Martin and we could all honour and respect it ?

Well I am not telling them they are going to burn in the eternity of hell for disagreeing with me- Its not me who need to RespectTFU

Is this so difficult to understand? Is it somehow controversial?

No its just wrong 😀

mt
    Free Member

“I am not arguing for special treatment for religion. I am arguing for being nice to each other”.

Spot on molgrips! We could all do with a little of that.

molgrips
    Free Member

Although, you think THAT’S offensive? Just ask me what I think about your actual religion…

That’s your religion, by the way, not you.

What’s my religion again?

I’m not in favour of religions having special privileges btw.

What of they tell you you have to wear leggings and your children and everyone else and then a certian colour etc

That would be bad.

the religious do and they try to put their beliefs on you

Meh. Red Dragon FM try to get me to listen to their radio station too. I don’t let that bother me 🙂

Nazis?
    BNP
    Those who think its ok to beat up gays for giving us the gay plague

Yes, be nice to everyone. We are adults, this is not the school playground.

I am surprised you and woppit are having so much trouble understanding what is an incredibly simple concept.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I am surprised you and woppit are having so much trouble understanding what is an incredibly simple concept.

I understand it. It’s the domain of those who prefer simple answers to complex problems.

Here’s an example of some religious people that you want me to be “simply” nice to…

We wish you a merry hatefest

Junkyard
    Free Member

Rtheir history of be nice to you includes killing folk who “blaspheme” and the treatment of Galileo for saying the world was heliocentric as it was aginst scriptures – they are still doing this today re gay marriage though they dont quite threaten to torture us or put ius under house arrest for disagreeing.

Currently i would look at their treatment of gay people and their treatment of women as further reaons why I should not respect them.
    I can think of non religous views I dont respect either such as racism and homophobia if that helps

If you want to respect folk with a 2000 + year old antiguated view of reality with little basis in fact and no proof of their deity then that is your choice

Dont expect me to respect that choice either. 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Here’s an example of some religious people that you want me to be “simply” nice to

Judge not, lest ye be judged.

You don’t have to respect the choice or the views, you don’t have to give them special privileges, but I do believe you have to be nice to them. Everyone needs to be nice to everyone else. You don’t have to like them or let them do bad things, but you always have to be nice.

Always nice. Even when you are prosecuting the law or fighting a war. That’s why soliders get into trouble for beating up prisoners of war and suchlike.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Judge not, lest ye be judged.

So now you’re trying to convince an atheist, with a quote from a religious book?

Oh dear. And for that unreason, I’m out…

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s from a religious book, yes, but that doesn’t make it a bad idea.

Arrogant to assume you have nothing to learn from.. actually wait – do you even know what’s IN the bible?

miketually
    Free Member

What if there was a thread on a discussion forum, asking whether red or black leggings are the bast way of covering the legs of fat people? Would it them be okay to say that you don’t think any fat people should wear leggings?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Christians – have you got the wrong guy?’ is closed to new replies.