• This topic has 56 replies, 22 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by Soup.
Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • christianity: a history
  • sodafarls
    Free Member

I’m hugely unbothered about other people’s religious beliefs sodafarls.

I’m much more bothered with what the government is up to.

Yeah me too…but what? what was that? There’s a lurking undercurrent of rather pungent religious beliefing going on within several members of the current govt? Should I turn a blind eye and pretend it’s not true? after all, they’re just high ranking members of the Govt.

eldridge
    Free Member

Glad to see the NHM has the same opening hours every day of the week

However their Tring offshoot opens later on Sunday. Why Sunday? (Strokes atheistic chin)

And they both close over the Midwinter Festival – but then we all do, don’t we?

alpin
    Free Member

Coyote – Member
    “i actually lose a little a little respect for people upon finding out they ‘believe'”

Of course, not allowed ‘beliefs’ are we. If you can’t touch it, it doesn’t exist.

By the way that anti-christianity threads usually go on to reach 100+ posts, mainly consisting of ridicule, I do sometimes wonder why people on here see it as such a threat. Markedly different to an anti-islam thread which will have people crawling out of the woodwork to defend peoples right to their own beliefs.”
    ————————————————————————

i’d throw muslims, jews and any other religion based on scripture, son’s of god and prophets into the pot too.

why is it that the three main religions all managed to arise within a small area of the earths vast surface? were other peoples not worthy? why should “god” choose the people in this area?

it’s all bollocks really.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    funkynick

why is it that the three main religions all managed to arise within a small area of the earths vast surface? were other peoples not worthy? why should “god” choose the people in this area?

alpin… you do realise that it’s probably because they all use basically the same text and just interpret it in different ways…

And I am sure the Hindu’s might have something to say about being excluded from the 3 main religions… there are a few more of them than Jews, and in fact, according to wiki Judaism is only number 6 in the world religion standings…

alpin
    Free Member

yeah i do realise that…..why couldn’t they just share and include everyone at the start (as religions claim they do) and save us all from 1000+ yrs of fighting?

might be #6 but causes a hell of a lot of problems for its ranking…. punching above its weight.

best evidence for not believing in a religion is that no evidence exists….

i read a book once, must have been 5 or 6 about three bears and some girl who ate their porridge…. must be true, it was in a book.

it’s all bollocks really

epicyclo

sodafarls –
    “Far more dangerous is the green dogma that passes for environmental science.”
    What part of it, and why? I’m interested, seriously.

How about the over 200 Australians burnt to death in the recent bushfires?

Smee
    Free Member

Epicyclo – what the point are you trying to make? Is it the the tree hugging hippies are spouting shite or that the concrete loving cronies are burying their heads in the sand?

molgrips
    Free Member

well, presumably any god* worth its salt could capriciously create a plausible fossil record ?

That would hardly be infinitely merciful tho, would it? More like a mischievous joke at our expense. So not really compatible with the Christian idea of God.

Far more dangerous is the green dogma that passes for environmental science

Dangerous why? Cos we might end up in the terrifying state of polluting less and having a cleaner environment? God forbid.

save us all from 1000+ yrs of fighting?

Religion doesn’t cause wars. It’s usually just a pretext for attacking people that you think you don’t like because they’re not in your gang. Which makes some of these posts nicely ironic.

sodafarls
    Free Member

I think Epicyclo can only be referring to the reluctance of agencies to regularly burn off the build up of undergrowth that makes out of control fires so dangerous, as Aboriginals have done so for quite a long time. Arguments between some green groups and forestry agencies as to the impact of this have been going on for a while now. It’s got little to do with climate change though, and less to do with “God”.

epicyclo

sodafarls –
    I think Epicyclo can only be referring to the reluctance of agencies to regularly burn off the build up of undergrowth that makes out of control fires so dangerous, as Aboriginals have done so for quite a long time….It’s got little to do with climate change though, and less to do with “God”.

Exactly, it’s green dogma rather than science., ie it is a faith belief rather than based on hard science. To me that equals religion. I don’t understand the whys and wherefores, because maintaining the system used by the the Aborigines made more sense to me.

The fires that have just occurred have destroyed huge swathes of bushland and all the creatures in it including over 200 humans.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I have to agree with Gus. Not religious myself, but don’t have an issue with individuals practicing their religion.

I felt like Alpin once, that those having faith must be lacking something mentally and deserved my scorn. Then a friend of mine turned back to the Church. For the first few months I freely admit that I lost a bit of respect for them, felt they were being controlled etc. But I started to see subtle changes in attitude, hear about all the volunteer work they were doing for the community and the wider world. It’s clear to me that they are now a better person thanks in part to their faith. I actually felt a bit ashamed about my initial feelings. True, lots of religious people are nasty pieces of work, but that’s true of any subset of society.

Really what I’m trying to say is that making a negative judgement about someone based on their faith says more about you than it does about them.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

That would hardly be infinitely merciful tho, would it? More like a mischievous joke at our expense. So not really compatible with the Christian idea of God.

but all the suffering in the world IS compatible ? You can believe in gods, but that does not constrain what they do. The fossils might be a test of faith. Not that I care.

sodafarls
    Free Member

it’s green dogma rather than science., ie it is a faith belief rather than based on hard science. To me that equals religion. I don’t understand the whys and wherefores, because maintaining the system used by the the Aborigines made more sense to me.

I would agree.

Steelfreak
    Free Member

If a person derives comfort and a sense of purpose in their life from religious belief, then that’s fine by me. The problem comes if they believe that their faith represents the only ‘truth’out there & that everyone else should therefore fall into line…

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I spose one of the good things about religion, is that it gives the Atheists something interesting to talk about…

sodafarls
    Free Member

And agnostics..and “religious types”, eh? 😆

Soup
    Free Member

I tend to give religion a wide berth. It all worries me slightly.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘christianity: a history’ is closed to new replies.