Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Christchurch NZ
  • Marin
    Free Member

Any one living there at the moment? Been offered work out there again on a 2 year visa but aware it may be a depressing place to be at the moment. Is it? Lived out there before and was last there 3 weeks after the earthquake so has it improved a lot. Quite fancy a stint out there again as I liked the lifestyle and the outdoors bit. Have posted this before but due to another offer thought I’d see if any further advice avaiable from peeps on the ground.

postierich
    Free Member

Of all the cities in New Zealand Christchurch would be my last pick! have friends there, not a lot has moved on just cleared away the rubble infrastructure still a mess!

Kahurangi

It’s a good place to work & live. Heaps of riding, access to mountains, beaches and forests.

Only other places I’d want to live are Nelson and Welly but they don’t have the same access to skiing in the winter.

There are lots of cones around on the roads – it’ll be a few years before all the streets are patched up but it’s not really that bad. The road works are rapidly making progress and no road stays restricted for very long.

We’re lacking a real city centre – depends on how much time you really spend looking around art galleries and churches, tbh.

Rent is high and then rental market competitive.

I’m sure there have been other threads since your last 8 months ago, so have a search too.

Of all the cities in New Zealand Christchurch would be my last pick! have friends there, not a lot has moved on just cleared away the rubble infrastructure still a mess!

While it might not be the best place to visit, it is a better place to live. 🙂

Plus, some awesome people live there 😉

NZCol

^ what he said. It’s improving which isn’t hard really seeing what happened. There are of course still significant limitations with social things, sports facilities etc and the rental market is red hot. However, nothing around it has moved which is why you wuold live in ChCh anyway so the hills etc are still there. Not a bad option assuming it pays well and you are happy to not be too picky on where you live.

hh45
    Free Member

I was in NZ earlier this month and read in the paper that due to an influx of construction workers there is a massive mis-match of young men to young women in Christchurch – the worst in the country. something like 55% male.

stevious

Lived there for a year recently and would go back in a moment if family factors would allow. The infrastructure for all the things I’m not interested in (commerce, drinking, etc) is still suffering (but improving) and some bits still look a bit messy but it’s got awesome bike riding of all flavours all around and the weather is pretty good. It’s also really interesting to live somewhere that is being rebuilt and seeing how everyone copes with it (which os on the whole pretty well in ChCh).

Poopsies
    Free Member

I go down there regulrly with work and I’d quite happily live there. However, as a couple of people have mentioned above, there is huge competition for rental housing. Might be worth checking Trade Me – 3 bed houses in Merivale are going for $1200/week.

Kahurangi

3 bed houses in Merivale are going for $1200/week.

Wouldn’t want to live in Merivale. And rate that seems very silly. per week or per fortnight or per month? Furnished?

Live in the south of the city so you have the best riding on your doorstep. $400 p/w can get you a decent unfurnished 2 bed house with internal 2-car garage.

😀

Poopsies
    Free Member

Per week, hence $1200/week… Yes it is silly, which is why I thought it was worth mentioning, and suggested he have a look a Trade Me. Different people I work with have had their rent put up by up to 38% recently. It’s worth knowing about.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

postierich – Member

I’d still rather live in Christchurch than Auckland, even if that meant living in a tent.

crispy
    Free Member

I’m always surprised that people don’t find more to like about Auckland, there’s a huge amount going on around there.

Christchurch always struck me as a pleasant enough spot, a bit dull, and there were always a lot more skinheads about than I would expect. I guess it’s not the most cosmopolitan of places anyway.

mrmo
    Free Member

I’m always surprised that people don’t find more to like about Auckland, there’s a huge amount going on around there.

would have to agree, not the best place agreed, but compared to some of the places I have been through on North Island!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

crispy – Member

Like what?

From a distance Auckland looks amazing, the skyline, the bay, beaches etc.. but look under the surface and it’s a pretty cold place, no soul, character. Segregated, Maori to the south, Pakeha to the west, Korean/Asian’s central and east – all hating each other.

Even night life is pretty much dead as there just no public transport network. NZ is petrol head central. You awake to the noise of dump valves hissing.

There is a reason why there is a constant drain of young kiwi’s to either Oz or the UK (passport permitting). Usually their numbers get replaced with older Brits.

The South Island is the real NZ.

And don’t give me that bull crap about surfing in the morning then skiing in the afternoon – total bollox.

Land issue is a big problem too, there are bike parks but NZ being so young just does not have the natural trail networks.

Girl in our dept is from the North Shore, I always tease her and say when you heading back – she just shudders.

crispy
    Free Member

Easy tiger! That’s a fairly strong response to what was a pretty innocuous comment…

As a person who was born there, and lived, learned, loved and worked the first 28 years of my life there, I’d say I was reasonably well placed to understand what the “real New Zealand” was – the good bits and the bad.

I would suggest that, without knowing your full story of being there, it might be that you have a less complete picture than I do?

Auckland not without its’ problems, I agree. But it is a melting pot of Pacific nations (of which, I must point out, it is one) and the vibrant result of a youthful immigrant nation. It has culture, contrast, amazing fishing, diving, sailing, surfing, vinyards, museums, the world’s oldest no-take marine-reserve, land-based nature reserves, national parks, an incredible harbour and its’ islands, beaches, forests, 1.5hrs to the Coromandel, access to the far north, west coast beaches, 4 hours drive from some decent skiing.

I’d say that, without undermining the South Island’s incredible natural assets, Auckland has a pretty reasonable case as a decent chunk of what the “Real New Zealand” is, or certainly what it will be in the future. Christchurch was always filled up with expat Englanders, including my grandparents, and after living over here for 14 years now, I see that it’s quite the most English of New Zealand cities. Perhaps that’s the attraction for you.

I’m from Wellington, and I now by some accident of fate live in Kent, and Auckland’s not my favourite spot in EnZed by a long shot, but please give it some credit for the multifaceted and interesting place that it is…

10 Best Cities to live in…

crispy
    Free Member

Did I win the internet?

Actually, that’s all made me a wee bit homesick…

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

If someone else’s opinion or experience differs from yours and you get upset about it – I’d advise stepping away from the internet.

I have plenty of knowledge and experience of NZ thanks. Half my family are kiwi’s. I stand by my opinion.

As for a melting pot of culture, Deary me. It’s one of the most racist places on the planet. Even on the radio and tv, you just sit there mouth wide open, just wondering if you actually just heard and saw what came out.

NZ is a great country, just avoid Auckland.

crispy
    Free Member

Mate, you asked, specifically, “Like what?”. I answered with my thoughts. I’m not upset, I am responding to what I still think was probably an ill-informed rant.

Racist? Maybe. We have a lot to thank our colonial history for.

NZCol

rom a distance Auckland looks amazing, the skyline, the bay, beaches etc.. but look under the surface and it’s a pretty cold place, no soul, character. Segregated, Maori to the south, Pakeha to the west, Korean/Asian’s central and east – all hating each other.

Even night life is pretty much dead as there just no public transport network. NZ is petrol head central. You awake to the noise of dump valves hissing.

There is a reason why there is a constant drain of young kiwi’s to either Oz or the UK (passport permitting). Usually their numbers get replaced with older Brits.

The South Island is the real NZ.

Yeah, nah.

I live in Wgtn and have spent a few years half in Akl and half in Wgtn. Akl has no centre as such and suffers from that, its flat so the commuter culture means that there are lots of small satellite communities disconnected. It is a beautiful city though no matter what you say and in terms of access and transport its better now than it has ever been with improved train and bus integration. That’s all happened relatively recently (mainly for RWC 2011 truth be told). Your social commentary is accurate except that the same rules apply in most of our major cities. NZ is a very diverse cultural country, the rights of the ‘indigenous’ and note the quotes there create a tension that is unresolvable.

Like all great internety arguments there is no right answer. If you want the cut and thrust of high finance and nightlife then picking a country with 4m people and it’s biggest city containing 1m is probably not going to work for you. The landscape is young and as said before the land access and track network is very different. You can access most of it easily if _you try_. Lots of natural riding and long distance stuff if you can read a map and use a phone. Bearing in mind I am scottish i get the land thing.
    Would I live in Akl ? No, because that’s not my thing. Wellington, to me, is a great city – access, compact city. Weather is a negtaive but if it had a great climate it would be twice the size.

On immigration, or emigration more specifically, you should look at the latest figures. The drift to Au and Europe is reversing as jobs become scarcer. Au also has the issue around non-residents access to social services, personally NZ should do the same. That has driven a lot of people back to NZ. If you grew up in Timaru its no surprise that the bright lights of London hold some excitement and allure ! There is a massive tall poppy syndrome i will not get into having suffered from it. Put it this way, kiwis are not generous in their ability to accept success in others. It’s weird.

A great nation, a beautiful country.

Marin
    Free Member

Ta for the answers chaps. I’ve lived in Auckland and Chch both got good and bad points but liked them both. I see house rental is high but would be looking for a shared house. I’m a decorator so no superdooper pay cheques. I would be out on a 2 year visa so just trying to get a grip on the general vibe if its upbeat or beaten down. I’d like a nice week as well as access to the riding and mountains!

Kahurangi

I’d like a nice week as well as access to the riding and mountains!

We do go riding after work too 8) What else am I going to do, watch Kiwi TV? 😆

aphex_2k
    Free Member

NZ looks beautiful but from what I here from the Kiwis I work with (In Oz) the wages are terrible and the cost of living is quite high. Would love to go there though – family in Wellington and heaps of mates around South Island just can’t afford at the moment.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Christchurch NZ’ is closed to new replies.